DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

On 9/11/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jimmy Jacobs needs to be on that card.

This is from the AEW thread, but I'm bringing it here. I was talking about GCW's Emo Fight, and Eddie mentioned this.

Now they've announced that Jimmy Jacobs will be performing live "The Ballad of Lacey" ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

So did Suzuki get a work VISA to stay here for several months, or did he move to the US?

That interview with him posted by Natural in the AEW thread makes it sound like it's just an excursion, but he kept getting match offers so he told his agent to fill up the schedule. He's freelance so all up to him.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 4:04 AM, Casey said:

This is from the AEW thread, but I'm bringing it here. I was talking about GCW's Emo Fight, and Eddie mentioned this.

Now they've announced that Jimmy Jacobs will be performing live "The Ballad of Lacey" ?

And Lacey comes back and helps Jimmy Jacobs from Atticus Cogar.  In 2021.   2005 me is so happy ?

• Like 3

The GCW tonite was so fun front to back. Suzuki/Homicide was just every hard hitting thing you’d want from it. Deppen/Ishimori was dope. Mancer/Justice vs Dickinson/Starboy was a fun southern tag. Dante Leon, who I haven’t seen much of, does flippy cutters where the rotation actually kinda makes sense!

the (unannounced, I think?) match that I really think DVDVR folks would like, tho, is AJ Gray vs. Yoya, which has really effective size mismatch strike exchanges and might have gotten the biggest spontaneous mid-match pop of the night (aside from the main event at least).

• Like 2

I could be reading something completely wrong into it, but when I watched Suzuki vs Gresham it felt like Gresham really wanted to do a lot of grappling and stuff on the mat with Suzuki (which would have been far more interesting to me, personally) and Suzuki just wanted to plug him into his standard match formula. But I could be way off base there

4 hours ago, killsteve said:

I could be reading something completely wrong into it, but when I watched Suzuki vs Gresham it felt like Gresham really wanted to do a lot of grappling and stuff on the mat with Suzuki (which would have been far more interesting to me, personally) and Suzuki just wanted to plug him into his standard match formula. But I could be way off base there

Yeah, something definitely like that. Probably wasn’t into the idea of him going toe to toe with his wrestling in parts, and just let him do a couple of things, and that’s it.

It was the weirdest foreign legend Vs. US indie wrestler match I’d ever seen. Technically it seemed fine the first time you watched but the after match stuff happens, and makes you think twice on what you just watched. Like the submissions Gresham put on Suzuki. It actually looked like Suzuki had a tighter grip back, while sitting in the hold. Like Suzuki could’ve hurt him, even though technically Gresham was the one who put him in an Indian death lock. Heck go back, and look at the angle of Gresham’s ankle when he applied the figure four. I can’t imagine that did not hurt him, more than Suzuki.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

So DEFY in Seattle was supposed to have Eddie Kingston vs Schaff tonight in the main event. It's the whole reason I bought tickets. Match time comes and Scharff comes out and cuts a promo saying how Eddie was too hurt to make it (DEFY said nothing about this on Twitter) and basically asks if there's anyone with the balls to fight him....

Cue "Wild Thing" and out comes Jon fucking Moxkey. Place erupts and he and Schaff have a wild brawl. 

Then afterwards, Moxley announces he's coming back in November to fight Tom Lawlor. 

It was a good night in Seattle. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 4:25 AM, maciej said:

The GCW tonite was so fun front to back. Suzuki/Homicide was just every hard hitting thing you’d want from it. Deppen/Ishimori was dope. Mancer/Justice vs Dickinson/Starboy was a fun southern tag. Dante Leon, who I haven’t seen much of, does flippy cutters where the rotation actually kinda makes sense!

the (unannounced, I think?) match that I really think DVDVR folks would like, tho, is AJ Gray vs. Yoya, which has really effective size mismatch strike exchanges and might have gotten the biggest spontaneous mid-match pop of the night (aside from the main event at least).

Gray vs Yoya was indeed a blast. Definitely not one to sleep on for people checking out the show. I wouldn't be surprised if AJ gets picked up by one of the bigger feds in the 12 months.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Not surprised by the Eddie thing. He’s been looking real sore recently. Probably why the rematch with Miro appears to be postponed. 

Yeah I was bummed when it came out he wasn't gonna be there, and I'm still hoping he'll come to Seattle at some point but Mox more than made up for it. 

Forgot to mention Christopher Daniels was also on the card, and I wanna say it was his first match since the loss to the Bucks on Dynamite. He's definitely still got it. Had an awesome match with a guy named Titus Alexander. 

• Like 3