DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

Real Hot Girl Shit was a pretty fun show. The wrestlers did seem to be struggling with the heat, it looked hot as hell out there, by the time most of the matches hit the 7/8 minute mark you could see the exhaustion starting to build up. I can't imagine Darius Carter was very comfortable wrestling in a suit, a 3 piece no less. Best match was probably Allie Kat/Billie Starkz but the best moment was Ricky Shane Page stealing all the money in the ring and eliminating himself from the battle royal after the Magic Mike dance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Billie Starkz is only 16 or 17 too, which is crazy. She's green obviously, but she's pretty good for being that young and green. In a few years, she'll be really fucking good. There's a match from Black Label Pro on YouTube of her versus Kylie Rae that's a fun watch, too. Kylie works semi-heel because you can't boo Billie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched that Bloodsport main and not only was it not Mox/Barnett like I thought it was, it was... well, awful. The rest of the card might be great though so I might give it a shot later. 

Man, that kind of bums me out as the matchup plus that bloody photo seemed like it'd be awesome.  Oh, well, at least I'll save a little money this weekend.  But there's still FTC and WHGS to check out so at least there's something of interest this weekend.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Billie Starkz is only 16 or 17 too, which is crazy. She's green obviously, but she's pretty good for being that young and green. In a few years, she'll be really fucking good. There's a match from Black Label Pro on YouTube of her versus Kylie Rae that's a fun watch, too. Kylie works semi-heel because you can't boo Billie.

She turned 16 in February, I think. And she's been Wrestling 3 years.

Acid Cup 2 has been great but I can't seem to wonder how much better it would be if inside in an air conditioned building and not outside in 85 degree weather.  You can tell the heat is playing it's part on the guys and gals during the Collective shows. 

Also I checked accuweather and Tampa seems to be getting some thunderstorms tomorrow night into Sunday evening.  Would they still do a steel cage during a storm?

I shouldn't have to ask but it's WWE so......

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just watched that Bloodsport main and not only was it not Mox/Barnett like I thought it was, it was... well, awful. The rest of the card might be great though so I might give it a shot later. 

Sorry, my brain is not working properly today.  Are you saying that Mox/Barnett was NOT the main event and that the match that WAS the main event was awful or are you saying that Mox/Barnett was awful?

• Like 1

Okay now I watched the actual main event. 

That was night and day. 

Moxley has clearly been training (and I think they definitely worked a match out ahead of time, unlike the Davey match) and it worked out stellar. Realistic grappling and brutal striking set into a realistic time frame. Two wrestling moves performed and sold like shoot moves as well. And a finish that if the fans were in All Japan would be chanting "RESTART". The main announcer needs his Adderall taken away but aside from that, no complaints. 

Plus, you know, there were both guys bleeding buckets, so there's that too.

• Like 1

In no particular order here are my favorite indie matches this weekend 

Daniel Makabe vs Jaden Newman first Family Reunion show on Thursday 

Daniel Garcia vs Kevin Ku second Family Reunion show.  Garcia in the 2 matches I saw was just great and smooth in the ring

Lucha 6 man from Spring Break show

2 cold Scorpio vs Rich Swann at For the Culture.  It wasn't the best wrestling match but energy they both brought to fans at 3 in the morning when everyone was tired was so much fun

Jon Davis vs O Shay Edwards at Have fun be sad.  Just incredible hard hitting and intense.  Jon still a beast in the ring

So many other great ones too.  Loved arik royal vs Dan Makabe,  Janela vs Dickinson,  Nolan Edward vs Angelus Layne in a crazy violent match.

People saying indie wrestling is declining isn't looking hard enough.  Are there any Aew ready now stars maybe but wait in a couple years for lots of these

• Like 4

On 4/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, Eoae said:

No worries.  He intentionally tried to get ejected so his cats could sneak in during the commotion.  

I'm imagining him running into the ring and practicing moonsaults until security hit the scene. 

After listening to that podcast about him I'm surprised they didn't release him directly into the hands of the police. 

In the "The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same" Category:

I've just emailed multiple screencaps of private and public messages from a guy who did video work for me during some shows in the Summer/Fall of 2020, when Big West returned to the "new normal" (July to November), to the Summerland RCMP: turns out that against my wishes and without anyone's knowledge, he snuck a camera into the locker room and filmed workers. He then proceeded to attempt to blackmail into releasing "embarrassing" video if I didn't allow him to use footage with my company's logo on it, to make exorbitant video-editing profits off workers. At one point he was demanding anywhere from $250 to $1000 PER MINUTE OF FOOTAGE.

It's like fucking creeps can't be avoided, no matter what. Jesus H.

• Sad 3

I'm still working my way through the weekend's shows but so far Ninja Mack and Dante Leon went from two guys I'd never heard of (and in the case of Mack have basically zero social media) to guys I'm eager to see more of. Mack reminded me of a young Matt Cross while Leon was spotty but gave off a lot of Alex Zayne vibes. I was also unfamiliar with Mysterious Q and he's a guy I'd like to see more of as well.

I was also impressed by Mysterious Q. It’s impossible to keep up with all the stuff IWTV posts weekly, so this week was a good intro to some of the folks on the shows I haven’t been prioritizing.

Arik Royal was another standout for me. Really liked the match versus Makabe. 

Edited by Shane

TalkDown 3.08 ... Halfway There!
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: April 13, 2021

We are literally at the halfway point of the 15-week season, and it's time for certain people to make there moves...or get left behind!

Don't forget: you help control our competitors' fates! Please choose a winner or a draw for EVERY match on the card, plus a "Promo Of The Week" and "Match Of The Week" for your ballot to count: simply reply in the comments on YouTube or on the Big West Wrestling Facebook page.

**DEADLINE IS APRIL 14, 2021 at 9:00pm PACIFIC**

OPENING MATCH:
Red DeNero
Johnny Dean
DRAW

MATCH TWO:
Jeff Christie
Casey Peake
DRAW

MATCH THREE:
Deztro The Eskimofo
Max Cage
DRAW

MATCH FOUR:
Draven Andrews
Malik Melo
DRAW

MATCH FIVE:
Rick Jules
Justin Cider
DRAW

MATCH SIX:
Chucky Lee Ray
Blu  Wilder
DRAW

MATCH SEVEN:
Dylan Murphy
The Dark Princess
DRAW

MAIN EVENT:
Mean Machine, Sr.
The Advocate
DRAW

PROMO OF THE WEEK:
MATCH OF THE WEEK:

I watched a few more shows from over the weekend and there was a lot of good stuff all around, but like others have said it was hampered by the weather. The Acid Cup was really solid but marred by a few no shows and how uncomfortable the weather conditions clearly were for the wrestlers, especially day one. That said, it was a good introduction to the current crop of indy workers. It also featured a few lucha guys I hadn't seen much of and were all impressive.

Spring Break was a great show in the something for everyone category. I was a little let down in the Jordan Oliver/Lio Rush match as I think they've both got a better bout in them. Then again they'd both wrestled numerous times over the weekend already and Oliver had already been in three matches earlier that afternoon, so fatigue was probably a factor. The lucha six man is probably one of my favorite matches of the year so far and is highly recommended if you want to see an exciting sprint.

Speaking of Lio Rush, his match with Lee Moriarty at For the Culture was probably my second favorite match of the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned it before and I stand by it. Lee Moriarty will be a big star. His next GCW match is against Janela. Janela will help make him a star. If you've met Lee you know he has a good head on his shoulders. I really think this guy is going to go far. Hopefully he gets an AEW Dark shot before WWE as Vince would confuse him with Lio Rush

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, Marty Sugar said:

In the "The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same" Category:

I've just emailed multiple screencaps of private and public messages from a guy who did video work for me during some shows in the Summer/Fall of 2020, when Big West returned to the "new normal" (July to November), to the Summerland RCMP: turns out that against my wishes and without anyone's knowledge, he snuck a camera into the locker room and filmed workers. He then proceeded to attempt to blackmail into releasing "embarrassing" video if I didn't allow him to use footage with my company's logo on it, to make exorbitant video-editing profits off workers. At one point he was demanding anywhere from $250 to $1000 PER MINUTE OF FOOTAGE.

It's like fucking creeps can't be avoided, no matter what. Jesus H.

How did this end up? Hopefully you threatened him back with extortion. Or that a room full of wrestlers would beat his ass if they ever saw him again. Essentially you could have him blackballed for what he did. Expose him and his messages online to everyone. The guy would lose his ass and it would be karma. 

8 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

How did this end up? Hopefully you threatened him back with extortion. Or that a room full of wrestlers would beat his ass if they ever saw him again. Essentially you could have him blackballed for what he did. Expose him and his messages online to everyone. The guy would lose his ass and it would be karma. 

RCMP haven't contacted me back: it's not like this should be a high-profile case, it's more of a "hey, grow the fuck up there, weirdo."

The blackmailer has been slandering my name on his media pages for days. Most of it is batshit crazy. Most people privately offer support to me and then like his posts and think I'm blind. AKA, "wrestling shit." Several pull the "well he's my friend so I have to take his side," which is the gutless response, and a weak-ass way to call me a liar. Enabling a madman and possible criminal isn't friendship, IMO.

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Like 1