DVDVR Message Board

2021 INDIE WRESTLING

I liked Bloodsport 5 quite a bit more than 4. The matches all just had more intensity and better finishes, IMO. The main with Mox and DBS Jr was awesome. 

I’m really hoping they get to do Barnett/Moxley at 6. 

• Like 2

Just coming in here to recommend a show, that might have went under the radar.

One of the things I miss the most about Covid-era wrestling is PWG and all the Lucha guys like Bandido, Black Taurus and Laredo Kid.

(I can't be bothered to watch Impact or ROH to see those guys and actual Lucha Libre from Mexico is completely unwatchable for me personally.)

However this Lucha Memes show from January that's on IWTV completely filled my hole. Just look at this amazing card:

Spoiler
  • Daniel Garcia vs Arez
  • Aeroboy vs Joshua Wavra
  • Gino Medina vs Eric Martin
  • Tony Deppen vs Ricky Marvin
  • Laredo Kid vs Black Taurus 
  • Aramis vs Jonathan Gresham
  • Wheeler YUTA vs Xtreme Tiger
  • Blue Demon and Low Rider vs Mecha Wolf and Fred Yehi

Almost everything on this show is worth a watch! I mean Tony Deppen vs. Ricky Marvin, which genius booked this?

Black Taurus is so unbelievably good, I still don't understand how he ended up with Impact. How are WWE, AEW and NJPW not all in a bidding war for this guy?

Still wish the bigger US Indies would bring some of those guys over more often, especially GCW (probably too expensive to bring them to the East Coast?)

TalkDown 3.04

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: February 25, 2021

Results from TalkDown 3.03, as well as a look at at the updated TalkDown rankings and what episode 3.04 will bring.

BONUS MATCH: 2018 Okanagan Cup Semifinal

Braydon Goss & Mike Freska vs. Jayce D'Arcy & Sean Gaston

(July 13, 2018: Lake City Bowling. Kelowna, BC, Canada)

TalkDown 3.04 ... "Woke Up This Morning"

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: March 2, 2021
Our second "themed" week of the season, so let's see how creative the crew is...shall we?

Spoiler

Mean Machine, Sr. defeated Malik Melo via DQ.

Jeff Christie defeated Chucky Lee Ray

The Dark Princess defeated Casey Peake

Red DeNero defeated Max Cage

Justin Cider defeated Blu Wilder

Dylan Murphy defeated Johnny Dean

DRAW: Rick Jules vs. Sleazy Steve, due to multiple infractions.

DRAW: Deztro The Eskimofo vs. The Advocate

BONUS MATCH: October 25, 2020

"ABBY'S FINEST" (Danni Deeds & Todd Quality w/Lance Skullz)
vs. Malik Melo & Odin Rex
(Summerland, BC: Big West presents SUNDAY STUNDAY: Show One)
Edited by Marty Sugar

Another day, another figure in indie wrestling outed as scum. This time, it’s Colin West, promoter of Synergy Wrestling in New Jersey. It was revealed that he is a registered sex offender under his real name, Patrick Shea, and had been using Colin West as an alias. Nobody in the business seemed to know, as talent left and right announced they were cutting ties with him and his company, and he has seemingly closed up shop.

I’m getting tired of this shit, man...

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Kylie Rae back. As long as she's mentally and emotionally healthy. ?

Kylie Rae is returning to professional wrestling.

Warrior Wrestling announced tonight that Kylie Rae would be taking part in their Stadium Series event on June 5 in Chicago. Rae, the Warrior Wrestling Women’s champion, will be defending her title against a currently unnamed opponent.

Rae has not been seen in pro wrestling since she missed a scheduled match set for Impact Wrestling Bound for Glory last October. She was scheduled to face Deonna Purrazzo for the Knockouts title. She was instead replaced by Su Yung, who won the title.

Two weeks later, she closed her Patreon account and announced she was no longer wrestling, saying she was unwell, and would try and fulfill any missed obligations when she became well again.

• Like 1

As much as I'd love to see Kylie back on a bigger stage, if doing indie shows is what makes her feel comfortable and it means she stays in a safe space mentally and health wise... then, by all means, just do those kinds of shows. Wrestling is so much more brighter when she's working and doing her thing. 

• Like 1

Very much agree on that.  I was thinking that she'd find something outside of wrestling that would make her happy but hopefully a relatively stress-free way of getting back in it works for her.

As an indie promoter and a guy who has mucked about in wrestling for 20 years now, I know all too well how serious mental health can be. I have also seen a lot of workers use "mental health" as an excuse to skip bookings (often to take a booking elsewhere on the same night), or fake panic attacks or injuries to avoid getting out of ring crew, to fail to submit timely promo videos, and other "menial" tasks that nobody likes to do.

I hope Kylie is feeling better, but I also had to work for several years with a talent that kept taking "mental health" breaks (while never actually taking a break), every month or two for attention. I'm jaded. ?

• Like 1

Crap, I forgot to share this. Bonus match is Danni Deeds vs. Miles Deville from March 13, 2020 at Rutland Centennial Hall. Big West had the distinction of having the last pre-COVID show in B.C. as well as the first in the "new normal" ... and then the last when things got shut down a second time. Weird stats, but hey.

P.S. This Deeds/Deville match was voted one of the 4 best of 2020 for the company.

No match this week, just promo battles: new jobs are grinding me down right now.

**DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31, 2021 at 9:00pm PACIFIC**

OPENING MATCH:
Deztro The Eskimofo
Sleazy Steve
DRAW

MATCH TWO:
Max Cage
Rick Jules
DRAW

MATCH THREE:
The Dark Princess
Jeff Christie
DRAW

MATCH FOUR:
Red DeNero
Justin Cider
DRAW

MATCH FIVE:
Mean Machine, Sr.
Casey Peake
DRAW

MATCH SIX:
Dylan Murphy
Chucky Lee Ray
DRAW

MATCH SEVEN
Blu Wilder
Johnny Dean
DRAW

MATCH EIGHT:
The Advocate
Malik Melo
DRAW

21 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Not really planning on going out of my way for any shows this Wrestlemania. Probably just Bloodsport and Spring Break, maybe For The Culture.

You’re not the only one. It seems the Mania week indie shows are struggling to sell tickets.

Unsurprisingly, The Twits is pointing out that whole thing about there being a pandemic, and limited crowds for Mania (including no international travelers) is really putting a damper on the whole indie thing.

• Sad 1

The two biggest problems with WM weekend shows is that they are running shows in Florida which is still the COVID belly of the beast especially for the deniers and that there are no international or past WWE stars at these shows.  Usually these shows will feature stars from Japan, Mexico, and Europe that we don't normally see.   This year there is none of that for obvious reasons.   I also think that having no WrestleCon Supershow is disappointing.  That is almost always the most hyped event. 

There are a few really good shows next weekend.  The 44OH Spring Break has Gage vs RSP for the title, Jordan Oliver vs Lio Rush, and Janela vs Dickinson.  The show I am really interested is the ACTION/SUP Pro show on Friday that is completely loaded including the cursed indie match of Arik Royal vs Daniel Makabe.   But again they are shows that could be shown in their local areas

EDIT:  I also wonder how much the fact that WM tickets just went on sale 2 weeks ago hurt everything.  I know I didn't plan for anything until they came out.     Indies have to realize that nobody is driving or flying to WM weekend to see everything but WrestleMania.

Edited by hammerva

I think doing shows in Florida of all places during a pandemic will hurt indy shows a lot mainly because it's not guaranteed how they're all handling safe practices.  You know what you're getting from AEW and the WM show but you hope that things are well-structured with other shows.  I do feel bad for shows that aren't selling enough tickets but I'll still buy the shows that interest me.  But with some that need to make ends meet doing these shows is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I'm going to watch several of these shows at some point, but there are multiple factors working against them here. The last Collective event got blasted for being a potential superspreader event and it wasn't even in Florida. I think they might have been better off holding some of them on the northeast or wherever the promotions' home bases are rather than trying to capitalize on the people in town for WM.

• Like 2

Watching Beyond Wrestling LIVE on IWTV. Max Caster and Bear Country from AEW have showed up and have matches later.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Watching Beyond Wrestling LIVE on IWTV. Max Caster and Bear Country from AEW have showed up and have matches later.

I thought it was a pretty fun show, though it was an uncomfortably small space for the amount of people they had in there. On the hardcam, I didn't notice anyone taking off their masks, so that was at least something good.

Favourite match was probably Edith Surreal/Solo Darling v the Sea Stars. Surreal and Blank (fucked if I can remember what his new name is) are such a great act, I like the feud they have starting with Milk Chocolate.

I've never seen the Shook Crew before, they were fun stooges for Bear Country.

Did not like Wheeler Yuta's Bane entrance gear lol. I know you're a heel now, but really? Thankfully it wasn't Joker makeup. The main between him and Trish Adora was nice and hurty, but it seemed like a decent chunk of the crowd dipped during it.

I believe Allie Kat is announcing Faye's replacement against Allysin Kay later tonight, if I remember right. Shit, just throw her in the Kat/Starkz match and make it a triple threat. Instant buy from me.

EDIT: She just announced it's Allysin Kay vs Jordynne Grace.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1