DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Some updated Sony release videos

Returnal - 03/19/21
Pragmata - 2023
Solar Ash - June 2021
Kena: Bridge of Spirits - March 2021
Stray & GhostWire: Tokyo - October 2021
Little Devil Inside - July 2021
Project Athia - January 2022
Hitman 3 - January 2021
Horizon: Forbidden West - 2021

These all popped up briefly in a video Sony did during CES today

• Like 1

This looks great.  I’ll buy one, but not sure I’ll ever use it.  Not too excited by the idea of re-downloading 300+ MB of games.  And I really don’t want to fool with extracting the micro sd card and inserting it in a different unit. Those things are a pain in the ass to deal with.  

I’m a big fan of the Switch, but I’m frustrated by how user-unfriendly Nintendo consoles are when it comes to storage and external devices.

And per Wired - said Star Wars game will be open world using Ubisoft Massive's Snowdrop engine (that is what Massive used for The Division 2)

And to spin off of that - folks are already theorizing that this means the end of The Division series... at least for awhile.

Considering Battlefront II got good, and Fallen Order and Squadrons are good, EA hasn't exactly filed with SW.

I'm ok with taking a break from Division, I don't think we need another game based around the country descending into Chaos from a killer strain of Flu and it's super rushed vaccine that caused a worse second wave.

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Considering Battlefront II got good, and Fallen Order and Squadrons are good, EA hasn't exactly filed with SW.

I'm assuming you meant "failed with SW?".  Yeah, I'm not a huge EA or Star Wars fan, but Battlefront was fun and I thought Fallen Order was outstanding.  Does this mean there won't be a sequel to Fallen Order?

Not too excited about Ubisoft taking over.  AC might  be my favorite franchise of the past 15 years and I love Rayman, but otherwise Ubisoft games usually fall into the category of "good enough to buy - eventually - but may not ever get around to playing.".  Most of their ips look interesting, get good-ish reviews, and end up on my want list, where they usually languish for a good while.  Or, worse, I buy the game, play just a bit, then toss it onto the pile of shame and never get back to it.  I generally feel like I should like Ubi more than I do, but, at the end of the day, they turn out a lot of vanilla titles that lack innovation and would benefit from a longer development cycle, so there are plenty of other games and studios out there that are more interesting to pay attention to.

List of release dates for upcoming indie games.  Credit: Indiegamewebsite.com

Everspace 2 – January 18th
Gloom and Doom – January 19th
Skul: The Hero Slayer – January 20th
Hitman 3 – January 20th
Erzurum – January 20th
Bezier: Second Edition (Switch) – January 21st
Tadpole Treble Encore (Switch) – January 21st
Phoenotopia: Awakening – January 21st
Dyson Sphere Program – January 21st
Orange Cast – January 21st
Bezier – January 21st
Ocean’s Heart – January 21st
Ender Lilies – January 21st
Unspottable (Console) – January 21st
Sally Face (Switch) – January 21st
Gravity Heroes – January 22nd
Redout: Space Assault – January 22nd
Encodya – January 26th
King Arthur: Knights Tale – January 26th
Ryte: The Eye of Atlantis – January 27th
Disjunction – January 28th
Monstrum 2 – January 28th
Olija – January 28th
The Medium – January 28th
Wild Terra 2: New Lands – January 28th
Sword of the Necromancer – January 28th
Devour – January 28th
Sarawak – January 28th
Bonkies – January 29th
HROT – January 29th

Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood – February 4th
Blue Fire – February 4th
Odysseus Kosmos and his Robot Quest (Switch) – February 4th
Rogue Star Rescue – February 4th
Wigmund. The Return of the Hidden Knights – February 8th
Aircraft Carrier Survival – February 5th
Ampersat – February 6th
Becastled – February 8th
Hero U: Rogue to Redemption (Switch) – February – 9th
Ultimate ADOM – Cavern of Chaos – February 11th
Death Crown – February 11th
Celestial Hearts – February 15th
Hellish Quart – February 16th
30XX – February 17th
Nebuchadnezzar – February 17th
TasteMaker – February 18th
King of the Seas – February 18th
The Shore – February 19th
AnShi – February 22nd
Imagine Earth – February 25th
Rogue Invader – February 25th

Stronghold: Warlords – March 9th

I'll update this every so often as the site adds titles and dates.  Cool idea.  I rarely see release dates for small indie titles.

Edited by Eoae

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am trying to figure how they are considering Hitman 3 as "indie"

Well they're publishing it themselves, unlike the first two which were by Square Enix and WarnerBrothers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Well they're publishing it themselves, unlike the first two which were by Square Enix and WarnerBrothers.

I mean I guess but if that is the metric they were using then they would have to include like Destiny 2: The Witch Queen

• Like 2

The more I see of Kena: Bridge of Spirits, the more excited I get. It's also going to make use of the Dualsense controller. Really looking forward to that one and hopefully it comes out in March.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The more I see of Kena: Bridge of Spirits, the more excited I get. It's also going to make use of the Dualsense controller. Really looking forward to that one and hopefully it comes out in March.

Same.  It's one of the upcoming games I'm looking forward to most.  

I got a Seagate Game Drive last night, so I started loading it with backwards-compatible original Xbox and Xbox 360 games.  360 gen was so great.  I think maybe prefer that gen more than PS4 generation.

I don't really want to hook my 360 back up (I've got too many consoles in use now as it is), but I realized that there are still at least 50 games that aren't backwards compatible, or remade/remastered/ported to the the PS4 or Switch, or made obsolete by a very similar sequel or yearly installment, etc.  There are some still 360 games I really enjoyed and am not ready to put on the shelf.  Darkstalkers Resurrection, SF vs, Tekken, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Maijin and the Forsaken Kingdom, etc.  

On 1/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, Raziel said:

They had a decade with exclusive rights to one of the most popular properties in all media, and have one good to great game, one game that isn't big enough to charge full price for, another game that people eventually enjoyed after a terrible launch that made people legitimately angry, and another game that no one really liked.  That's terrible.  I've said it multiple times, but if a year passes and there isn't a good to great Star Wars video game, it is a failure.  It is a property that fits into almost every genre of video game, and has a giant fanbase who want to explore every inch of the literal galaxy of possibilities.  They have one really good game, and three games that top out at "good for what it is," that's a failure in my book.