DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I tried but my queue basically got stuck. Best Buy is my preferred method because you can just zero finance it as opposed to what the All Access thing is.

Game pass ultimate is easy to get for cheap without paying the $15/month. 

Where's the best place to get game pass ultimate from? 

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Where's the best place to get game pass ultimate from? 

It depends. I got some 3 month cards for cheap at Target during BF last year. Also, Best Buy and others occasionally have a sell. Sometimes CD Keys. Worst case scenario just eBay with auto email cards. You should rarely pay more than a hair over $33 for 3 month cards if you search it enough. 

1 minute ago, Casey said:

If you buy a year's worth of Xbox Live for $50 on Newegg when they drop the price, can't you convert that over to an Ultimate sub?

All I know is I had just renewed my XBOX Gold for a year when I got the Series X with Game Pass dealie - and in that case, they just tacked on another year to my membership.

I see deals for upgrading the PC version of Game Pass to Ultimate for $1 for 3 months but I don't see what it is for the full year.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

If you buy a year's worth of Xbox Live for $50 on Newegg when they drop the price, can't you convert that over to an Ultimate sub?

They fixed the ratios, so 1 year of Gold = 4 months of Ultimate, so it's $60 either way list price. 

• Sad 1

This is why I'm glad I did All Access, since Ultimate was included with the price I pay every month and I end up saving like $50 in the long run or whatever. Plus no interest is nice too. I do need to re-up my PS Plus membership, though. I see Sony is offering some sort of deal for it on Black Friday, but no idea what it is yet.

The only negative I have for Xbox right now is that their sales in the digital store are usually horseshit. But on the plus side, I had enough points from the Reward program to buy the Halo Infinite battle pass, so that's cool.

Just now, Casey said:

The only negative I have for Xbox right now is that their sales in the digital store are usually horseshit. But on the plus side, I had enough points from the Reward program to buy the Halo Infinite battle pass, so that's cool.

And they claimed to have "fixed" the battle pass so the rewards aren't shit now... theoretically

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

And they claimed to have "fixed" the battle pass so the rewards aren't shit now... theoretically

I don't have a problem with the rewards, since it's entirely cosmetic stuff (well except for getting XP boosts every so often), but moreso of how much of a grind it is to get XP by completing absurd challenges like kill X amount of Spartans with a particular weapon.

Edited by Casey

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

I agree with this 100%. The Playstation store seems to always have a great sale,  but Xbox never has anything good. I still play my Xbox more than my playstation,  but I can see that changing if I can get more non-exclusive games for cheap. My general rule is that my Xbox is my main system and my playstation only plays playstation exclusives.  If Gamepass has a drought, Playstation will make up ground quick. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I agree with this 100%. The Playstation store seems to always have a great sale,  but Xbox never has anything good. I still play my Xbox more than my playstation,  but I can see that changing if I can get more non-exclusive games for cheap. My general rule is that my Xbox is my main system and my playstation only plays playstation exclusives.  If Gamepass has a drought, Playstation will make up ground quick. 

PS5 is my main console, with Series S being mainly a Gamepass/Edge browser streaming machine (for sites/services with no dedicated app).

But there are instances where I’ll buy a game on Xbox, usually when it’s not available on Sony’s digital store (Silent Hill, Metal Gear games before Phantom Pain, etc) or just flat out a game I only want to play and not be obsessive with about trophies. Oddly enough, I don’t care about achievements, but I’m really anal about trophies on PS4/5. It’s weird 

I have issues with the idea of charging $20 for a game that came out on the 360, though. 

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

PS5 is my main console, with Series S being mainly a Gamepass/Edge browser streaming machine (for sites/services with no dedicated app).

I've debated Series S, but the small hard drive and the fact that I do have a small selection of physical 360/OG Xbox games I'd like to still check out on occasion is why I'm leaning Series X. I have a One S now, and really the only thing so far that I've noticed where having the new console would be beneficial is Forza Horizon 5 given the load times and weird issues with that.

We talked about this on the pod last night. Have there really been enough quality games on the next gen consoles to warrant the feeding frenzy surrounding them.

I'd be more tempted to finally get a PS4 to play all those games than overspend or go crazy nailing down a PS5 right now. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We talked about this on the pod last night. Have there really been enough quality games on the next gen consoles to warrant the feeding frenzy surrounding them.

I'd be more tempted to finally get a PS4 to play all those games than overspend or go crazy nailing down a PS5 right now. 

In a word, no. But in a sentence,  I think it's more complicated. The PS5 and Xbox Series X don't really have many great games that can't be played on the last generation of systems,  but playing on the new systems is better in almost every way. I played Cyberpunk 2077 on the Series X, and while everyone else was complaining about the bugs,  I was having a grand ol time. It wasn't perfect,  but it was nowhere close to what my friends were describing playing it on the Xbone. The quick start feature on Xbox is kind of a game changer. With that said, Ratchet and Clank is worth the price of the PS5 by itself.  By this time next year I fully expect to be able to say that about at least 5 more games. 

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I've debated Series S, but the small hard drive and the fact that I do have a small selection of physical 360/OG Xbox games I'd like to still check out on occasion is why I'm leaning Series X. I have a One S now, and really the only thing so far that I've noticed where having the new console would be beneficial is Forza Horizon 5 given the load times and weird issues with that.

I thought the small internal storage would be a problem too, but pair it was an external SSD and you’re golden really. I just keep all of the native Series X/S games on internal, everything else goes to the external drive (except for a few). I’ve got probably 30 games between both storage options and only halfway full on either as well.

• Like 1

At the moment, I'm not planning to play this. I can't afford two subs, I have not been impressed with the direction the game has been going for a while now, and the changes to the class/specializations are completely stupid. However, they've been re-releasing all the old promo trailers in new high def versions, which are GORGEOUS, and there's a hint of the new one for the expansion at the end.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder for those who play Final Fantasy XIV, the servers go down at 1am Pacfic tomorrow morning (4am Eastern, aka about 12 hours from the time of this post) and are expected to be down for 24 hours (pretty standard for an entire new expansion). Squeenix has the preliminary patch notes up, which are slightly spoilery but not extremely so (a few quest names, no dungeon or trial names, only some technical stuff about crafting and gathering, etc.). The biggest new info was about the role quests, which have been split into 5 types instead of 4 like Shadowbringer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Launch trailer for Halo Infinite

It is nice its on Game Pass but I still am like 4 games behind so maybe I will check this out in 2027

I think the campaign on this one is partially a reboot to bring on new players. There will be some stuff referencing the older games and current story, but it's telling that this is supposed to take place on one planet/ring. 

I never got far in Halo 5, and I'd almost need to find something that does a good primer on the story and lore for all the games because it's been so long. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:33 AM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Lol, I'm still not seeing the Pinocchio connection, but I'm really into what this game is going for.  Shame it's probably years away.

See I've always found the whole Pinnochio mythology extremely creepy even when I was a kid, so this is surprisingly on point for me.

These motherfuckers actually just went "fine, we will make Bloodborne 2 our damn selves", amazing.

Electronic Arts have shaken up how it will be approaching the Battlefield franchise in the future, with the intent now to create a “connected Battlefield universe.” The publisher announced that it would be making some major changes to its development structure on Thursday, with the biggest being the creation of a Battlefield universe that will act as a bridge across a variety of games and other modes, with different development studios partnering together along way.

Alongside the shake-up, DICE GM Oskar Gabrielson is leaving the company to pursue a new endeavor outside of Electronic Arts. In his place, Respawn Entertainment’s Vince Zampella will take on a bigger role as the boss of the Battlefield franchise in addition to overseeing Apex Legends and whatever else Respawn is creating. Marcus Lehto, with the studio he announced in October, will focus on incorporating more storytelling into the world of Battlefield after helping with Battlefield 2042 in the “immediate future.” Finally, Ripple Effect, the developer of Battlefield 2042‘s Portal Mode, will begin developing “a new Battlefield experience” within the current game.

Speaking to GameSpot, Zampella said that the new strategy is more about making “interconnected” worlds for players and give players more to experience and that EA plans to have its Battlefield teams “grow significantly,” which may include a free-to-play game.

“This is an ‘And’ strategy in many ways,” Zampella said. “We will continue to evolve and grow Battlefield 2042, and we’ll explore new kinds of experiences and business models along the way that we can add to that foundation to provide an awesome array of experiences for our players. In this universe, the world is interconnected with shared characters and narrative. This universe is also built with our community as we harness the power of Portal and user generated content that puts creativity in the hands of our players.”

The move seems to be similar to what Activision has been doing with the Call of Duty franchise as of late, with all of its Call of Duty developers working together to create shared experiences while still releasing yearly games. The recently released Call of Duty: Vanguard was a standalone game, but its weapons — as well as the weapons from the previously released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare — are available in the Call of Duty Warzone battle royale mode.

It’s currently unclear what the future of the Battlefield franchise looks like, but it does seem like EA is committed to trying anything to fix the series. After its launch in November, Battlefield 2042 players were very critical of the game, noting that it launched without many core Battlefield features and an acceptable level of polish. DICE has slowly been putting out updates to address some of these criticisms. However, EA COO Laura Miele said 2042 is “trending in the right direction.”

This suite of Battlefield news also further puts a damper on any hopes for Star Wars Battlefront 3 as a recent insider report stated that EA rejected said pitch due to licensing costs. With EA’s new push toward Battlefield, it’s easy to see how an outside license might not be in its interest, especially after the reception to its last two Battlefront games.