DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Fuckin' God of War getting a PC release before Bloodborne or Demon's Souls which is like 2000 years old, fuck off

I'll just say that the PC version of God of War looks amazing and I'll be picking it up.

Sony has announced that there will be a State of Play on Oct 27

As discussed on the PlayStation Blog, this presentation will be around 20 minutes and look at previously announced games and even have a few reveals. These announcements and reveals will be for both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games.

But don’t expect any updates of God of War: Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, Horizon Forbidden West, Wolverine, or any of the other first-party games Sony has announced. This State of Play will be focused on a batch of mysterious third-party games.

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

Apparently that State of Play might showcase Final Fantasy XVI, Gotham Knights, Lord of the Rings: Gollum, Tchia, the Dark Pictures Anthology and Voice of Cards.

It's going to be 15 minutes of Deathloop DLC and you know it.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Apparently that State of Play might showcase Final Fantasy XVI, Gotham Knights, Lord of the Rings: Gollum, Tchia, the Dark Pictures Anthology and Voice of Cards.

We're still years out from FF XVI, y'all may get a preview of the high def FF XIV for the Endwalker expansion.

If anyone's a fan of Amanita Design (Creaks, Machinarium, Samororost & its sequels), they announced a release date for their new project, Happy Game.  It looks... really bizarre and twisted.

Release date for Switch & PC is October 28.

Edited by Eoae

That AI sure seems fucking annoying.

Also, I never got to play 5, but how or why did the human/Covenant alliance get defeated? What happened with the Protheans or Forerunners? Why are we right back to all Covenant all the time? Oh, sorry, they're not the Covenant, they just have every species that was in the Covenant. /eyeroll

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What happened with the Protheans or Forerunners? 

Short version: Batshit Crazy Cortana happened.

Long version is that Cortana's rampancy drove her insane and now she believes that she and a Forerunner AI construct called The Created should enforce galactic peace by any means necessary which means exterminating all hostile threats including the former Covenant races and humans.

Like all well meaning lunatics, she has confused quiet with peace.

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Why are we right back to all Covenant all the time? Oh, sorry, they're not the Covenant, they just have every species that was in the Covenant. /eyeroll

Yeah, the Covenant is no more, IIRC.  I think the Covenant dissolved when the Prophets tried to eject the Elites and make the Brutes the new enforcers.  There was a bit of a civil war and now the remaining Covenant forces have fallen under the Brutes and call themselves the Banished.   

The Banished are making for a power grab while the Elites are spread thin protecting their own systems and trying to help the humans against the Forerunners and Cortana.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Short version: Batshit Crazy Cortana happened.

Long version is that Cortana's rampancy drove her insane and now she believes that she and a Forerunner AI construct called The Created should enforce galactic peace by any means necessary which means exterminating all hostile threats including the former Covenant races and humans.

Like all well meaning lunatics, she has confused quiet with peace.

Yeah, the Covenant is no more, IIRC.  I think the Covenant dissolved when the Prophets tried to eject the Elites and make the Brutes the new enforcers.  There was a bit of a civil war and now the remaining Covenant forces have fallen under the Brutes and call themselves the Banished.   

The Banished are making for a power grab while the Elites are spread thin protecting their own systems and trying to help the humans against the Forerunners and Cortana.

Dude, thank you. That saves me from trying to parse this stuff out from confusing wiki entries. Ok, next question...In that video, they make it sound like humanity has fallen. So as of 5 or whatever are Earth and other colonies no more or is this maybe a situation where a lot of shit has gone down between 5 and Infinity?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Dude, thank you. That saves me from trying to parse this stuff out from confusing wiki entries. Ok, next question...In that video, they make it sound like humanity has fallen. So as of 5 or whatever are Earth and other colonies no more or is this maybe a situation where a lot of shit has gone down between 5 and Infinity?

Between past efforts to contain the Flood on Earth and not really having a chance to recover from the war with the Covenant, humanity's ability to wage war or defend itself is pretty fucked right now.  We don't have the rapid response capability to deal with the situation.

The Banished going apeshit on the galaxy does not help.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, that's something of a downer, even more so when you think back to the somewhat happy ending of 3. I didn't even realize the flood made it to Earth. 

The Covenant glassed a city in North Africa because of it.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression with how the early trailers were that Infinite is somewhat of a reboot or reset. I still need to play the 5 campaign myself. I probably would be well suited to replay all of them again. 

The new Game Informer cover story is about the Saints Row reboot

A quick skim of the article (and some of this might have been covered already)

- tone will be somewhere in the middle between 2 and 3

- main character will be fully customizable

- will have drop in/drop out co-op (exploration is untethered but if one player starts a mission, they both do it). You will also be able to "prank your partner"

- location is called Santo Ileso which is inspired by the American Southwest. Will have 11 different districts

- 2 of the "collectable" activities seem to be taking pictures of landmarks and collecting drug palettes

- there will be something called Criminal Ventures which is all about "building your criminal empire"

- soundtrack seems to be inspired by the setting - two radio stations will be a mariachi one and one that is a Latinx Club. You will be able to create a custom playlist from the music within the game.

Darkest Dungeon 2 looks like it could be Actually Good but being an Epic Games exclusive launch kinda sucks. Oh well at least by the time it comes out on Steam we'll have missed the first year of the devs smelling their own farts before they rebalance the game into a state something like the first one.

• Haha 1