DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Direct thoughts:

excited for Metroid Dread, Kirby: Forgotten Lands

not sure how i feel about the Mario voice casting. Pretty damn star studded. Chris Pratt as Mario? sure thing. Jack Black as Bowser? sounds good. Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong? eh....maybe? Charlie Day as Luigi? nope, not a fan of this one.

not my thing: Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Switch Online (although the concept of Nintendo producing a Sega Genesis controller makes me happy)

Meh. Monster Hunter. Whatever.

Mario Party wore out it's welcome so fast with us that I can't see myself buying Mario Party Superstars.

A card game. Cool /s

Disco Elysium is cool for anyone that hasn't played it yet.

My daughter and I are still playing Age of Calamity and we'll definitely get that expansion pass.

Oh. Cool. Another kart racing game. I feel like it's 2000 again with everyone coming out with their own kart racers.

That one Kirby game for the Switch was neat, but we rented it and beat it over the course of a couple days. I hope there's more meat on this one.

The fuck is this Disney game? I guess if you have little kids they'll be into it.

Another re-release, this time Dying Light. Pass.

Hey! Fuck yeah! This JRPG looks pretty cool. Not sure about the voice acting, but this looks like a perfectly fine time waster.

Metroid Dread is a definite purchase.

Whaaaaaaaaa?!? Shadowrun trilogy?! Ok, sure, I'm in.

Oh man...These voice actors...Charlie Day as Luigi fits pretty well. Pratt as Mario? Not sure about that. Jack Black as Bowser works perfectly. Key as Toad is fine. Rogen as Donkey Kong is a choice. Wait? Charles Martinet too? I'm slightly puzzled by his involvement, but it's cool he's going to be a part of it. 

Splatoon 3 is whatever. I think the controls for it are bad, but my daughter likes it a lot so she'll be into it.

Ahhhh, and there we go. Bayonetta 3. Called this one earlier. 

So while they're doing the N64 stuff and including Ocarina of Time in that, this Direct pretty much makes me give up on there ever being a port of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, or the Metroid Prime games. Too bad.

The cast for the Mario movie seems like a fucking trainwreck. Jack Black annoys the hell out of me more than entertains me and Chris Pratt is completely wrong choice for Mario. Charlie Day will be awful even as Luigi, but it might be entertaining.

This seems like something a Hollywood executive thinks would work and would want to make like The Emoji Movie.

• Like 1

Overall I thought the Direct had more good than bad for my gaming habits. I like playing the "classic" games, and while the initial N64 line-up is pretty lackluster, hopefully they add more at a faster pace than they usually do since they are charging extra (doubtful). Sega Genesis was a fun surprise. The Mario Kart rip-up made me laugh but it would have to get great reviews for me to get it, and I've never been a Kirby or Splatoon guy. Bayonetta looked cool though and Triangle Strategy will be a must-buy.

That Mario movie casting was something else, I don't have high expectations.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

ActRaiser Resurrection [...] got me excited and will be out today.

Mixed reviews on Steam already. Vsync issues and criticism of the graphics (and price). It sounds great but... 

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nintendo accidentally leaked one of the games that is gonna be shown today

the next Kirby game (possibly named Kirby Discovery) will come to the Switch sometime Spring 2022

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Disco Elysium getting a Switch release date gives me hope the Xbox version will get a definite date any day now.  Guessing they'll be released same day.

A PC port of Monster Hunter Rise was announced after the show but no Xbox or PlayStation release?   Is it really going to be a Switch console exclusive?  I've been holding off buying it assuming that it would be ported to Xbox and PS5 after six months, 12 at most.  Now, I'm not so sure.

Adding N64 to Switch has me excited, though the initial set of releases don't look too interesting.  I have the Zelda's and Sin & Punishment downloaded to my Wii U.  I'd probably subscribe just for Mario 64, but have that on the Wii U too, as well as the Switch remaster.  Maddening that the Wii U had a great virtual console lineup and they won't do the same for Switch.  I'd much prefer to buy and download games than stream.

Thought it was a strong outing for Nintendo, though it won't get me buying too many Switch games.  

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

BOO! The three button Genesis controller? Come on!

Apparently Japan is getting the six button Genesis controller instead.  I'm assuming it will work just fine with NTSC  consoles, so I'm guessing I'll be paying an eBayer a nice markup at some point.

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

So while they're doing the N64 stuff and including Ocarina of Time in that, this Direct pretty much makes me give up on there ever being a port of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, or the Metroid Prime games. Too bad.

Same.   I guess I'll be keeping the Wiii U handy after all.  

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I watched a video today that speculated Kirby isn't an open world but a "guided path" with 3Dbackgrounds to give the illusion of having an open world. 

that's how i saw it in the trailer. it's a 3d environment, but not open world. i guess we'll see.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, Eoae said:

Disco Elysium getting a Switch release date gives me hope the Xbox version will get a definite date any day now.  Guessing they'll be released same day.

Xbox version confirmed to be released same day as Switch: October 12