DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Show peaked for me early.   Project Eve looks interesting.  Forspoken has my attention.  Back half of show was loaded with big announcements, but not necessarily games I'm too excited about yet even though the games will be good to great and I'll end up buying them on day one.

Buzz around Deathloop makes me think it will be special.

Interesting that Cory Barlog is no longer directing God of War 2.  Wonder what happened there.  I don't follow Barlog on social media anymore but he at least seemed to be directing last time I checked.  After God of War was released, Barlog talked about having plans laid out for the next four games in the franchise.

Ghostwire Tokyo looks less interesting every time I hear about it.

Lol, probably just me but the top three announcements for me today were Alan Wake Remastered release date and release dates for Eternal Cylinder and a Juggler's Tale.  Not for nothing, but all three games look very interesting and are dropping in less than a month.  I'm probably going to buy an absurd number of games between Sept. 23 and October 8.  Several big titles and a bunch of interesting indies coming out in that timeframe.

I'm so very on the fence about Deathloop. Time loop/deathloop games are now my "Giant Bomb Presents: Please Stop Award." Like, we get it. Enough with all of the timeloop games. At the same time, this being a FPS that's been in development for awhile will probably be the last of that trend? Maybe? I guess it just sucks for them that you've had Outer Wilds, 12 Minutes, Returnal and a bunch of other games doing the same gimmick before your game even comes out.

Another thing about Deathloop that has me on the fence is that the dialogue sounds so very not self-aware and early 2000s edgy.

I came close to pre-ordering it last night and I think I'm going to take the same stance for it that I did with Returnal and just wait and see. It's single player anyway so it's not like there's much point to pre-ordering it. With Returnal, I was happy to have passed on early adopting that after I started hearing about how brutal some stretches of that game are only to wind up getting nowhere at the end of it and starting all over again. Hopefully they put in some kind of mid level save feature because it would be cool to check that out at some point. With Deathloop, if it turns out to be amazing then I'll probably just buy it now instead of waiting for a discount, but I'm not in a rush.

Project Eve was another game that I think Giant Bomb nailed - Oh, it's Bayonetta? Ok then. Having Bayonetta 3 would be cool. Maybe Project Eve holds us over until that thing ever comes out.

Was hoping to see anything more about Elden Ring, but nope.

All of the re-releases don't do much for me. Maaaaaaaaybe I'll get GTA V, but I will have purchased that thing for the Xbox 360, PS4, Steam, and the poopy Epic Games Store (that one was free at least). The main barrier to me with GTA V and GTA Online is that the Online portion is such a grieffest and I got my fill from the story in GTA V. It's one of those things where if enough friends get it then I'll probably get it.

Count me in for being down even more on Ghostwire Tokyo.

I don't know...The announcements felt very underwhelming. Everything at least looks better and more interesting than something like Days Gone, which I think they really built one of these showcases around some years ago, but there's not a whole lot that gets me saying, "FUCK YEAH!" other than Wolverine and Spider-Man 2, which aren't coming out for a long, long time.

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

I still feel like I am the only one excited about this

You are most definitely not the only one.  Give me a game with Tina, and Torgue on the lute, and I'm definitely in.  Probably the only new game I care about on the horizon.  Everything else (KOTOR again, Vice City again, Skyrim again again, GTA Online again again) is all just remasters/remakes

Tony Todd is voicing Venom apparently and that's it, you sons of bitches, I'm in (as if I wasn't before).

I'm definitely here for Forspoken, maybe Project EVE, Wolverine obviously and remastered Lost Legacy (only if it's sold separate, which I doubt it is). I'm a huge Radiohead fan, so the Kid A Mnesia Exhibition was a welcome surprise and something I'll get when it's released (likely in November).

I just bought the Borderlands Legendary Collection on Xbox, so maybe after I finish all of that I'll be down for the Tiny Tina game. But as of right now - no. But I don't really know the character, so who knows. All I know about the character is that Ashly Burch is the voice actor.

• Like 2

Special 25th anniversary edition extras for Japan 

monster_rancher_special_edition_japan_un

Physical Nintendo Switch copy of Monster Rancher 1 & 2 DX (Steam Key for PC version)

Gold Mocchi metal figure (with serial number)

Monster Rancher 1 + 2 Soundtrack CD

Monster Rancher internal planning documents

A Special issue of Tecmo Player’s Mag Vol. 2021

Reprint of Monster Rancher 2 “Secret CD”

Reprint of Mocchi vinyl backpack

All packaged in a special “Eternal Memory Box”

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dying Light 2 has been delayed to Feb 2022 because the only month in 2022 is February 

That's weird.  I must have missed the official changing of the 2022 calendar.  Sounds like it'll be a packed month though!

Squeenix ran a long Producer's letter simulcast overnight to go through the upcoming class changes for Endwalker. I'm linking the tweet with the full replay, as well as the ~20 minute job changes/new job introduction video.

Some of the tank stuff boils down to "WILL YOU USE YOUR F'N COOLDOWNS OH MY GOD", Machinist keeps being as extra as it was in FF VI, and Summoner seems to be getting the big overhaul this time around (we'll see if it makes it any more interesting to play).

• Like 1