DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Now, my memory is shit, but I swear I recall there being some kind of a price drop on one of the DS systems either right before it came out or within a couple months of it coming out. If that's true then there is at least precedent for Nintendo doing such a thing, but that was also when Reggie was at the helm.

This was the 3DS release. It bombed pretty hard, so Nintendo did a huge course-correction. Dropped the price by like 30%, offered free games to early adopters, and the President or CEO or someone took a fairly significant pay cut.

21 hours ago, Eoae said:

Along these lines, remastering the best first-party Wii U games and charging full-price for them all over again is... something.  

Nintendo is sitting on a really valuable library and they release it in drips and drabs.  Forget new games.  I'd pay a fair bit for even bare-bones remasters of the GameCube Zelda games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Xenoblade Chronicles X, a DK Country trilogy that doesn't have to be streamed through another paid service, etc.

Nintendo looked at Disney's "vault" release schedule and obviously took notes. Limited time releases and re-releases keep interest, prices, and profits high. I hate that they do this, but it obviously works very well for them so i don't see them changing it anytime soon.

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

Given how Nintendo handled the Mario upscales with a limited sales window, I'm really amazed they aren't doing the same with the Zelda's and Metroid's.  

same. i have all the games in both series, but it would be hard not to re-re-rebuy.

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

For the anniversary I figured we'd get a 35 Links, which in my head seemed like a really dope idea where it's a survival based original Legend of Zelda that features killing enemies that sends them to your opponents screens.

OMG i would never stop playing this game. best idea i have heard in a long time.

Edited by twiztor
lots of quotes + new page formatting
  • Thanks 1

Can understand wanting Nintendo games cheaper, not so much attacking Nintendo for it. Saw a headline last week that the three biggest selling games in Europe for the first half of 2021 were Super Mario 3D World, FIFA 21 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. You can't critisise charging a standard release price for some of the most in-demand games on the market.

(Side note: It's insane and super cool that good but commercially irrelevant games can be re-launched years later with proper marketing and become chart-toppers second time round. C'mon Nintendo do Excite Trucks next.)

Similarly why should they be dropping the price on games like SMO and BOTW just because they're four years old? Other games don't drop in price because they're old. They drop in price because they aren't pulling in revenue anymore. Those two games are still shifting millions of units each quarter.

Now someone tell me why Yoshi's Crafted World is $60.

• Like 1

Dead Space Remake is official, for Next Gen only (PC, PS5, XS1X).  Hopefully, there'll actually be next gen consoles available by the time it comes out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

They are adding Okami to Monster Hunter Rise. Not enough to get me to play it, but that's a  cool addition. 

I need to read up on that and find out if it’s a limited time thing or what.  Been wanting to play Rise, but been holding off on the theory it will end up on Xbox soon.  It’s a Capcom game so I’m assuming the Switch exclusivity is 6 months or a year at most.  Okami dlc may be enough to sell me on the Switch version.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Not really surprising but Horizon Forbidden West is getting delayed till 1st Quarter 2022

Stupid Covid-19 messing everything up still. Sony honestly should have cancelled the PS4 version. If you can't get a PS5, just get the game, the PS5 will be there when you get it.

Edited by Andrew POE!

That'll be a controversial statement for those that don't have a PS5, but yeah I'm in agreement. COVID + developing for two generations of consoles can't make their lives any easier. I'm so bummed out, first Ms. Marvel is likely not getting released this year, and now Forbidden West is delayed. Fuck. Me.

Kind of leaves me wondering what big marque titles are left. God of War for sure isn't coming this year. I love Arkane, but Deathloop ain't it. I doubt Final Fantasy is going to be 2021, either. Over on the Xbox side, you've got Halo Infinite (maybe), but... ehhh.

2020 was probably a bad year to release the next generation of consoles, all things considered in hindsight. COVID has fucked up so many things, and honestly I think the Cyberpunk outrage didn't help matters in devs' eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

That'll be a controversial statement for those that don't have a PS5, but yeah I'm in agreement. COVID + developing for two generations of consoles can't make their lives any easier. I'm so bummed out, first Ms. Marvel is likely not getting released this year, and now Forbidden West is delayed. Fuck. Me.

Kind of leaves me wondering what big marque titles are left. God of War for sure isn't coming this year. I love Arkane, but Deathloop ain't it. I doubt Final Fantasy is going to be 2021, either. Over on the Xbox side, you've got Halo Infinite (maybe), but... ehhh.

2020 was probably a bad year to release the next generation of consoles, all things considered in hindsight. COVID has fucked up so many things, and honestly I think the Cyberpunk outrage didn't help matters in devs' eyes.

Honestly, by delaying Horizon: FW, it makes having a PS5 moot since they are also making a version of the game on PS4 too. Sony should have delayed releasing the PS5 until this fall. Yes, it sucks that not everyone has a PS5, but having a game like Horizon: FW that will show off the system's power makes it easier for those who have it. It's possible that both were not ready for this year -- like I said, I'd rather have Horizon: FW on PS5 this year and PS4 version either not at all or delayed. I haven't Platinum'ed Zero Dawn (yet), but I will be soon.

There's really nothing for the rest of the year - although Sony will be releasing PS5 versions of Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima which helps some.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew POE! said:

There's really nothing for the rest of the year - although Sony will be releasing PS5 versions of Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima which helps some.

I'd be more excited about this if they weren't being fucks about the base game. It's no longer available on the store for digital users, so you either have to pre-order the PS5 version, or get the other bundle (Digital Edition or whatever, that has pointless avatars and themes that PS5 owners can't even use). Fallen Order had an upgrade path for PS4 disc owners that are now PS5 digital console owners, and that's fucking EA! Suckerpunch and Kojima can't do that? Give me a break. I'm not buying a game for full price, again, just to get a PS5 extended edition. I'll wait two years or whatever and grab them when it's on sale.

Also let me know how you do the time trials for the Shellbacks in Zero Dawn, because it's the only actual trophy I need that requires any sort of semblance of work to get the platinum, and I just. can't. fucking. do. it.

Honestly developers should stop even trying to guess release dates too far in advance. I understand the issues, I'm not blaming them, but its gotten to the point that any date that is given I automatically assume I should add a year to it. People don't usually pre-order games two years in advance (says someone who has done that), just let us know with four months notice and it'll be fine.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

There's a couple dozen games on my want list coming out between now and late September.  Earlier this week, Xbox was promoting the fact that they have 75 games coming to XOne and Series X in the next month or two.  There will probably be at least 193 games released on Switch next month.  I guess it depends on your perspective, but there are still going to be a lot of good games coming out this year unless you only buy triple A games.  Personally, I'm looking forward to Deathloop a lot more than Horizon Forbidden West or Halo: Infinite.  I'm also looking forward to the Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima director's cuts much more than HZW.

On another topic, Sony is finally enabling the PS5's internal SSD slots with the next update.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that the list of technical requirements is rather specific and rather confusing if you're not tech savvy,  

Specs posted below.  Spoiler boxed for length.

Spoiler

Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.

Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended

Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)

Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.

These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.

Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)

Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).

In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).

See below for full requirements.

Length
The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:

30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).

Width
A 22mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.

The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25mm (0.984in).

Height
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink) – whether built-in or separate – must be less than 11.25mm (0.442in).

The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:

The size below the board must be less than 2.45mm (0.096in). The total size above the board must be less than 8mm (0.314in).

Lol, when you're advising players to do-it-themselves and install a heatsink, you might be off target just a bit.   There's also the caveat that SSD's with the proper specs still may not work.  Sites like IGN and Digitial Foundry will publish lists of what works the best, so it won't be that complicated, but, still, the instructions for the Series X/S SSD cards are basically "Buy expansion card.  Insert into slot in back of console."

For now, advantage: Xbox.

Edited by Eoae

21 minutes ago, Eoae said:

There's a couple dozen games on my want list coming out between now and late September.  Earlier this week, Xbox was promoting the fact that they have 75 games coming to XOne and Series X in the next month or two.  There will probably be at least 193 games released on Switch next month.  I guess it depends on your perspective, but there are still going to be a lot of good games coming out this year unless you only buy triple A games.  Personally, I'm looking forward to Deathloop a lot more than Horizon Forbidden West or Halo: Infinite.  I'm also looking forward to the Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima director's cuts much more than HZW.

Not to speak for him but I think Andrew was specifically referring to games designed to run much better on the PS5 to justify owning one in 2021 (or exclusive to the PS5), not games across all systems. Plus those Switch numbers are always misleading as most the games are just ports, suck, or are ports that suck ?

I don't regret getting a PS5 at launch (although people that paid triple price on eBay should feel a little silly) but my Xbox Series S is getting 80% of my attention right now due to GamePass and there not being any big games lately on PS5 to catch my attention. I did play Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed on it, then re-played Borderlands, but otherwise I've been on the Xbox and Switch a lot more in 2021 than the PS5.

I honestly can't think of much I want this year. I'm not even sure what my daughter wants this year video game wise. If all we get this year is the AEW game then that's fine by me.

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If all we get this year is the AEW game then that's fine by me.

I think mostly everyone assumes that's going to be 2022, no?

My "anticipated" list is only... The Ascent (already released yesterday/today), Hades, Marvel's Avengers: War for Wakanda expansion, Life is Strange: True Colors/LiS Remastered Collection, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Far Cry 6, Battlefield 2042 and Guardians of the Galaxy. But out of those games, there isn't anything in there that I absolutely NEED to play or have, like Forbidden West. 

But I'm just a huge fucking fan of Horizon. There's only two videos where I've went out of my way to collect stuff based off the game, like comics, toys, etc and that's Horizon and Life is Strange and its prequel game. I guess technically I really want the LiS Remastered games, but only if they have a physical edition. I don't need to replay those two games again. I was emotionally drained the first go-around as it was.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

The only one I can think of is that the PS5 version of Final Fantasy XIV should be releasing in November along with 6.0.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Also let me know how you do the time trials for the Shellbacks in Zero Dawn, because it's the only actual trophy I need that requires any sort of semblance of work to get the platinum, and I just. can't. fucking. do. it.

Corrupt Arrow a Stalker or two, the Shellbacks will focus on them, and Tearblast Arrow the crates during the chaos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1