DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

IGN ran a Q&A on the Steamdeck that answered 31 questions about the handheld

https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-valve-faq-big-questions-answered

My takeaway: It should be the equivalent of a portable PC, for better or worse.  You'll be able to browse the web and do anything with it that you can do on your PC.  It will have a USB port (ports) and a micro sd slot.  On the downside, it seems like there are going to be a lot of associated costs that will probably make it a more expensive proposition for a lot of people.  There are going to be 3 skus, each with different storage space ($399 model has 64 GB of storage, $649 version has 512 mb).  Additionally, the $399 model uses a  eMMC (embedded MultiMediaCard) while the more expensive models uses a SSD.

Beyond that, it's definitely intended as a handheld, not a hybrid console like the Switch.  There's going to be a charging dock with an hdmi port, but it won't be included with the base unit and price and release date are tbd (apparently you can plug the unit into a tv with any HDMI->USB adapter on the market).   

It also doesn't sound like the core hardware will be upgradable, which makes me wonder how well it will run triple AA games in, say, 2023?  One of the reasons I've never got into PC gaming is that keeping up with the hardware demands looks expensive and, at the end of the day, I've probably still got all three consoles hooked up anyway,

Definitely sounds interesting.  Could be a game changer or could be Steam Machine or maybe PlayStation TV (remember them?).  I guess I need to do a deep dive into the Steam library.  It seems like a pricey proposition for me.  Definitely want the SSD, probably want the 512 mb of storage and the dock + a big micro sd card and a bunch of other peripherals.  It seems like it could run me at least as much as I'm putting into PS5 and Series X and I'm not sure how much that gets me since I don't play in handheld mode.

Edited by Eoae

I'm a little concerned about the button placement, I need to get someone to buy one so I can hold it for awhile. The B Button looks like it is falling off the console. I am sure they tested it, just at first glance it seems a little oddly laid out. I'll see what reviewers say in regards to long playing time, if it stayed comfortable and natural.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess pre-orders in the Switch OLED started today at 1500 ET. 

I was excited about getting it until I realized that the internals aren't any different than a standard Switch/Switch Lite. People expecting NIntendo's version of PS4 Pro should realize this is Nintendo and Nintendo is one of the slowest companies ever to adopt anything (they didn't even have a functioning network wide multiplayer online component until the Wii U).

Edited by Andrew POE!

I presume most people know now it's just the switch with a better screen and dock with a LAN. 

I saw some story the other day that the new OLED prob only costs around $10 more to make vs its $50 price increase. 

Ubisoft has delayed both Rainbow Six Extraction and Riders Republic

Rainbow Six was supposed to come out Sept 16, now it is just "January 2022"

Riders Republic is just moved back basically two months (New date is Oct 28. Was supposed to be Sept 2)

15 hours ago, jstout said:

Can't wait for this. First-day buy. What a fun little game.

I remember getting the first one via Games with Gold and enjoying it for the little I played it (I think I fucked up mixed up slimes that werent supposed to go together and I rage quit and never went back.

I have been meaning to revisit it so a sequel my encourage me to do so

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Price drop already for the OLED? Apparently going to be $299 at Roxxmart. 

I'd guess it would be a price error since Nintendo isn't one for price drops, especially for something that hasn't released yet. Probably the system got confused with the title or UPC or something.

Nintendo doesn't even price drop old games (which is one reason why I talk myself out of getting a Switch), what makes you think they'd drop the OLED before it comes out?

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Nintendo doesn't even price drop old games (which is one reason why I talk myself out of getting a Switch), what makes you think they'd drop the OLED before it comes out?

Fucking tell me about it. Xenoblade Chronicles 2, like many other Switch games, is STILL $60. It came out FOUR YEARS AGO. My daughter has wanted to play it and honestly, so have I, but I can't justify spending $60 on a four year old game. The discounts on the Nintendo eShop are nearly insulting too. "Oh, you want to pay less than $60 for this game that came out at launch? Ok, how about $57 then."

Now, my memory is shit, but I swear I recall there being some kind of a price drop on one of the DS systems either right before it came out or within a couple months of it coming out. If that's true then there is at least precedent for Nintendo doing such a thing, but that was also when Reggie was at the helm.

I'm a big fan of Nintendo's ip's (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc.), and generally think the Switch is a fun little console and a great success story, but, yeah, I really dislike Nintendo's business practices.

I'm more or less OK with paying $60 for a first-party Switch game.  The fact that it's four years old doesn't really affect my thinking because first-party games are consistently good and worth the price regardless of age.  I do wish Nintendo would discount them more often, if for no other reason than Microsoft and Sony discount their first-party titles more frequently (and sometimes have permanent price drops), and Nintendo's refusal to do the same makes them seem predatory.   Sales on Mario and Zelda titles are infrequent, and, when they do get marked down, they are usually still $40 or $45.

I'm much more annoyed that first-party Wiii U titles are neither backwards compatible nor  discounted.  It's nuts that the digital edition of Star Fox Zero is $60 in 2021 and if Microsoft or Sony had released their new consoles without backwards compatibility with the previous gen, the backlash would have been immense.  I assume the change in format was done to accommodate the handheld design, but it's still annoying that I can play virtually every PS4 and Xbox One game on one of my new consoles - plus 500+ X360 games - but I can't play a single Wii U game.

Honestly, I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for a Switch optical drive that connects through the USB port and allows me to run Wii/Wii U games.

Along these lines, remastering the best first-party Wii U games and charging full-price for them all over again is... something.  At least a couple recent examples have had new material to somewhat justify the price.  I'm willing to pay for content, and I don't expect next-gen remasters to be free, but I shouldn't be expected to pay $60 for a remaster that's basically just a resolution bump. I'm fine with $30 or maybe $40.  Personally, I think the way Sony is handling the upcoming Director's Cuts is more than fair.

Honestly, I have high hopes for the Steam Deck - I still want to snicker at that name every time I hear it - but what really want out of it is for the competition to light a fire under Nintendo's a** and necessitate a change in the way they do business.  Price drops on older Switch games wouldn't affect the bottom line that much.  No one is waiting four years to play Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey in the hopes the price will eventually come down,  Beyond that, Nintendo is sitting on a really valuable library and they release it in drips and drabs.  Forget new games.  I'd pay a fair bit for even bare-bones remasters of the GameCube Zelda games, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Xenoblade Chronicles X, a DK Country trilogy that doesn't have to be streamed through another paid service, etc.  Hell, I'd thrown money at my Switch for GameCube remasters of games like Skies of Arcadia.

BTW. VentureBeat claimed yesterday that a Metroid Prime remaster trilogy for Switch is done and Nintendo is just debating when to release it.  And there are still rumors that The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters are real and will be scheduled now that Skyward Sword has been released.  I'm hopeful but skeptical.  With Nintendo, anything could be true.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Given how Nintendo handled the Mario upscales with a limited sales window, I'm really amazed they aren't doing the same with the Zelda's and Metroid's.  

That was surprising to me as well. It seemed like such a no brainer to do re-releases of the Metroid Prime trilogy, put out a limited edition run of the GBA Metroid games, or literally anything with Metroid. Same goes for Zelda. For the anniversary all we're getting is Skyward Sword, which my daughter really doesn't like so that's money down the drain, and an expansion for Age of Calamity. I figured we'd get a 35 Links, which in my head seemed like a really dope idea where it's a survival based original Legend of Zelda that features killing enemies that sends them to your opponents screens. Hell, even Four Swords of something. ANYTHING. I know a lot of us hoped for remasters of the N64 games and Wind Waker, but Nintendo is gonna Nintendo I guess.

And Nintendo is a lot like WWE or Wizards of the Coast in that nothing is going to make them change their weird ass business practices. It doesn't matter how cool the Steam Deck is or how well it sells. Nintendo will only change when someone like Cook or Bezos buys them, which is never going to happen.

I still don't know what to make of the Steam Deck. I was lucky enough to build a new, high-powered gaming PC early on in the pandemic when you could still find video cards and before prices really shot through the roof. It's honestly tempting to get a Steam Deck just to plug into my TV to play anything that doesn't require a keyboard and mouse, but I also have a PS5 and Switch hooked up there already. More or less, it's the thought that I have this huge Steam library that rarely gets played and the Steam Deck makes me think I would actually play those games if I had it hooked up to my TV. The only reason why I don't play them on my gaming PC is because that's primarily been used for Valorant, Magic Arena, Tabletop Simulator, the PC version of Gloomhaven, and checking out how far Baldur's Gate 3 is coming.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't even know what that is. Does it look fun or is it a cash grab.

Its a Pokemon MOBA, and I have no idea how it works.