DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I just saw you will be able to buy the new dock (with the Lan Port) separately even if you don't buy the OLED switch. 

FWIW, docks are interchangeable (new dock will work with older models, old dock will charge the OLED model).

Watched Digital Foundry's coverage of the new model.  They claim a next-gen Switch is in development, but they made it sound like it will be the successor to the Switch, not a mid-generation upgrade.  They were mostly underwhelmed, saying the OLED has some nice additions, but that there were things Nintendo could do to boost picture clarity and performance that wouldn't necessitate a major hardware revision, but apparently Nintendo is choosing to not do those things.  I think Nintendo Life summed it up best when they said they expected a new model to be an incremental upgrade rather than the rumored Switch Pro, but expected it to be less incremental than it appears to be.  

Wife seems interested in the OLED, though she might have just been needling me since she doesn't really get what OLED is (and repeatedly got the acronym wrong last night; she called it "OLAF" at one point) and only plays one or two games a year (Sky: Children of the Light has finally gotten her to put up AC: New Horizons for awhile).  Unless something unexpected is revealed when we get hands-on with the new model, I'll probably stick with my Super Mario LE for awhile.  It's only five months old.

Another Jason Schreier story that everyone is losing the minds over

There is way more info on his timeline.

The other main thing is that the earliest this is showing up is 2024

Assassin's Creed game as service may be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.  It's not even a storyline like Phantasy Star 2 or Destiny 2 that lends itself to the game logic that there are dozens of people with special abilities all running around one place at the same time.

Edited by J.T.

I’m not particularly interested in live service games, but the basic idea sounds interesting.  It might get AC back to what I want from the game.  I’m a huge fan I’d the series through Rogue, but since then, the series has moved progressively away from the original concept.  Odyssey and Valhalla are good games, but they’re AC games in name only.

I doubt I end up spending much time on AC Infinite but it’s a more interesting direction than AC: Jurassic Park or whatever the next single-player game would be.

Sony State of Play from earlier today:

Kung-fu beat-em-up Sifu postponed until early 2022

F.I.S.T. Forged in Shadow Torch releases September 7

Death Stranding Director's Cut releases September 24.  $10 if you already own Death Stranding

Showed off new footage from Deathloop, Lost Judgment, and the Demon Slayer game based on the anime of the same name.

New multiplayer shooter called Arcadegeddon coming

New footage of Tribes of Midgard.  Talked some about dlc support after release.

New trailer for Jett: The Far Shore.  Still planned for release in 2021, but no date given.

Moss: Book II in development.  Still vr. 

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I will get the PS5 version of the Witcher 3, but only if I can use my save from the PS4.

You'll be able to load your PS4 save.  Next-gen updates will have cross-save compatibility.

• Thanks 1

Tango Gameworke announced Ghostwire Tokyo is delayed until early 2022.

Not at all surprised considering the creative director left Tango Gameworks last year (along with a couple other designers).  

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Tango Gameworke announced Ghostwire Tokyo is delayed until early 2022.

Not at all surprised considering the creative director left Tango Gameworks last year (along with a couple other designers).  

It's entirely possible that this game will become vaporware and not ever get released. The trailers I've seen of it hasn't really impressed me that much although I honestly thought it would be released around the same time as Deathloop.