DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I'm kinda glad the Limited Run Games announcements won't totally blow out my wallet. Ghoul Patrol on SNES sounds legit. I've been putting off SUPERHOT so that's a contender. One Step From Eden is a card-based thing and I can always use more of those, Going Under looks like it has personality, DUSK fits in my household since I live with a DOOM 2 fangirl, and believe it or not I never played Axiom Verge so I don't want to speak on the sequel yet. I just don't know how much energy I have for re-imaginings of forgotten 8-bit and 16-bit classics. They always tend to be pretty good, but there's been so many put out since Kickstarter became a thing and I can't keep up. I'm loving the new Blaster Masters but I've got stuff in my collection like Super Hydorah and Blossom Tales that feel redundant. Everything gets good enough reviews and I can't tell the Shovel Knights from the Owlboys.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

Anyone else following the Blue Box/Abandoned story?  I don't believe in conspiracy theories or hoaxes, but I'm beginning to come around on this.  I'm not convinced Abandoned is a Kojima Silent Hills game, but if it isn't, wth is Blue Box doing?  They certainly want us to think it's a Kojima Silent Hill game and when they deny rumors (after basically stoking them in the first place), it's in a cutesy "nudge-nudge-wink-wink" way that's not likely to defuse the rumors.  For instance, they've claimed that "Abandoned" isn't the name of the game and that the real name is "S________ ________l".  They've since denied the name is "Silent Hill". but did in such a way that I feel like they're being too literal and the real name is going to end up being a close variation on Silent Hill (Ex: Silent Hill: Overkill?  Silenced Hill?)

Then there's all the other associated strangeness.  Why does Blue Box seems to have only one employee (lol, who has the same initials as Kojima)?  Why is Sony letting an unknown indie studio use new tech in their game?  Is it just a coincidence that their website looks oddly bare?  Why is Geoff Keighley involved in this and taking screen shots of dm's?  For that matter, why  is Kojima just letting all this go on

This feels a lot like Kojima and Moby Dick Studios.  It feels a lot like PT.  I'm still not convinced this isn't just canny guerrilla marketing, but, if it is, I don't think it's going to work.  I do think it might get pissed-off fans to ratio the studio and lob a few death threats their way if this is all just an elaborate tease, but that's not really a good thing.

We'll see soon.  Supposedly the game is going to be out sometime in June or July.

The reveal of Abandoned - the game that might be a Silent Hills game directed by Hideo Kojima, but probably isn't - was postponed again and won't be shown until August.  A app/demo was supposed to be released this week, but was delayed at the last minute.

Something has to be wonky with this game.  People are wondering if the game is even real.  The snippet of footage that's been shown was made with premade Unreal Engine assets that can be legally purchased and repurposed (didn't know this was a thing until this week) and supposedly won't be part of the finished game.  Explanation for that is "Sony was in a hurry to get the trailer out".  Because that's how Sony operates?

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, read the comments to Blue Box's tweets.  Bunch of people swearing that the video of director Hasan Karah is actually computer generated.  ?? No idea if that's true or not.

At this point, all this being a ruse for a Kojima game seems like one of the less crazy theories,  I'm not willing to bite that Kojima is somehow involved, but that theory almost makes more sense to me.  The director is denying the Kojima/Silent Hills connection but seems clueless that he's teasing connections.  You have to either be naive or oblivious not to figure out that saying the real name of your game starts with an "S" and ends with an "l" would lead people further in the direction of Silent Hill.

Edit" Not to sound like I'm drinking the Kool-Aid but the P.T, demo was released in August too.

Edited by Eoae

15 hours ago, Eoae said:

The reveal of Abandoned - the game that might be a Silent Hills game directed by Hideo Kojima, but probably isn't - was postponed again and won't be shown until August.  A app/demo was supposed to be released this week, but was delayed at the last minute.

Something has to be wonky with this game.  People are wondering if the game is even real.  The snippet of footage that's been shown was made with premade Unreal Engine assets that can be legally purchased and repurposed (didn't know this was a thing until this week) and supposedly won't be part of the finished game.  Explanation for that is "Sony was in a hurry to get the trailer out".  Because that's how Sony operates?

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, read the comments to Blue Box's tweets.  Bunch of people swearing that the video of director Hasan Karah is actually computer generated.  ?? No idea if that's true or not.

At this point, all this being a ruse for a Kojima game seems like one of the less crazy theories,  I'm not willing to bite that Kojima is somehow involved, but that theory almost makes more sense to me.  The director is denying the Kojima/Silent Hills connection but seems clueless that he's teasing connections.  You have to either be naive or oblivious not to figure out that saying the real name of your game starts with an "S" and ends with an "l" would lead people further in the direction of Silent Hill.

Edit" Not to sound like I'm drinking the Kool-Aid but the P.T, demo was released in August too.

I think the whole thing is a grift and the game is vaporware. Kojima isn't involved (usually he's more meticulous with these types of campaigns and executes them a lot better). We're going to find out things about the developer doing something illegal or shady to make it appear they are working on a game when they are not.

The reason why a friggin' app missed a June 25th target is because there's no app. August will come and we will find out that there wasn't a game after all or it's been canceled.

• Like 1

I would say he's fed the string of wild coincidences more than being a victim of them.  The Kojima conspiracy theories were in full swing when Blue Box teased that "Abandoned" wasn't the name of their game and the real name was "S_______ _______l.  Hard to believe he didn't realize that would stoke the Silent Hills rumors more.

If the game really exists and is anything more than shovelware, I feel sorry for him and his employees.  The publicity backlash will bury them. 

The only thing that keeps me from being sure this is't a scam or a poorly thought-out attempt at viral marketing is why the players seem to be playing along.  If I'm Kojima, I'm at least considering putting a stop to this by making it clear I'm not involved (maybe he's more amused than annoyed?).  And Sony is allegedly a partner (?) or the publisher (?) and is going to let the developers use an app in a new way that even the first-party studios haven't been allowed to try?  If that's not true, why is Sony staying quiet?  They could end the rumors with one tweet.  And why is Geoff Keighley seemingly risking his credibility by playing along?

Odd.  I think there's a game, but it's some sort of cheap shovelware game.  I'm going to keep following the story, but unless it really is an unannounced Kojima title, my wallet's going to be staying in my pocket, so I dunno how much good that's doing Blue Box.

Edited by Eoae
Punctuation errors

12 hours ago, Eoae said:

Calling it now: the Blue Box game is going to be revealed as Knack 3.  The studio is a front, but not for Kojima.  The real director of the game is Peter Molyneux.

He was really upset that Knack wasn't used as the initial  tech demo for the PS5. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remedy’s Project Condor is a multiplayer spinoff of Control

Developer Remedy Entertainment announced that it’s making a new game, codenamed “Condor,” a multiplayer spinoff of Control. No release date, price, or story beats have been shared for Project Condor, but all we know so far is that Remedy’s press release says it will be a four-player cooperative PvE (player vs. environment) game. It’ll be built with Northlight, the same engine used for Control. It will release on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X / S consoles.

The game will be published by 505 Games. “As a multiplayer game, Project Condor has the potential to engage the gaming community in the long run, contributing to 505 Games’ product revenue stream longer than traditional games,” shared the co-CEOs of Digital Bros Group, the company that operates the publisher, in a statement.

Casey Hudson (previously of Bioware fame) announced today the launch of his new videogame company - Humaniod Studios

They are working on a "new IP" (obviously) but it seems like it will be years before anything is announced

12 hours ago, Jiji said:

Talk of GTA 6 coming out in 2025 potentially. ?

Jesus, any delays and that could be a present for me at my retirement party.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Casey Hudson (previously of Bioware fame) announced today the launch of his new videogame company - Humaniod Studios

They are working on a "new IP" (obviously) but it seems like it will be years before anything is announced

I will laugh my ass off if he announces that his new IP will use the Unreal Engine.

• Like 1