DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

The rumor that Square Enix will reveal a Guardians of the Galaxy game at E3 is back

They just want to march their way through all the MCU properties to ruin them as quickly as possible

• Like 1

I guess nobody cares about Far Cry 6, but I do! I really, really, really liked Far Cry 5 (played 3 and 4, didn't enjoy them near as much as 5). It's definitely your typical Far Cry game, but I'm fine with it.

Now give me a PS5 version with haptics and triggers and I'm fuckin' ready to go.

It's funny how they say this game "isn't political", though. I guess 5 wasn't a commentary on religious cults, either.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:13 AM, Andrew POE! said:

Last night, there was a Dragon Quest 35th Anniversary stream.

The big news from it is Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate and Dragon Quest III-HD (from the Octopath Traveler team) have worldwide releases, but no dates given.

Capcom also recently announced that Dragon's Dogma 2 is in development and will run on the the new Resident Evil engine.  I figure it will only take ten years before DQ12 and DD2 both arrive on XBox so that I can play them.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

I guess nobody cares about Far Cry 6, but I do! I really, really, really liked Far Cry 5 (played 3 and 4, didn't enjoy them near as much as 5). It's definitely your typical Far Cry game, but I'm fine with it.

Now give me a PS5 version with haptics and triggers and I'm fuckin' ready to go.

It's funny how they say this game "isn't political", though. I guess 5 wasn't a commentary on religious cults, either.

I liked a lot of Far Cry 5 but after like the third time my character got kidnapped I started to lose interest.  The open world stuff was top-notch, though.

• Like 2

I didn't mind the kidnappings. That happened every time for a boss fight, right? I think my favorite time was the one for Faith Seed. Speaking of kidnappings - apparently that was going to be a feature in 6 that the player could do, but they cut it due to early reviews from outlets.

Far Cry 6 sold me with the Puppy companion.  

I loved Sonic Colors on the Wii and DS, so I'm getting the PS4 version with real controls. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I care about Far Cry 6, despite buying every other Far Cry (including New Dawn and Primal) and not actually playing them.

• Like 2

Nothing triple-A coming out this week (that's on my radar, anyway), but a few interesting things tomorrow.  Looking forward to Ghosts and Goblins Resurrection.  It's been available for Switch for awhile, but I've been waiting for it to be ported to Xbox or PS 4/5.  I'm very intrigued by the Virtua Fighter 5 remake (by the studio that makes Yakuza).

Also, Stonefly is out tomorrow.  Looks gorgeous and it appears to be a Don Bluth/Disney/Pixar-ish coming-of-age story about a young inventor exploring the forest in her bug-sized mech.  Want to see some reviews before I commit, but it's from Flight School Studios, the team that made Creature in the Well (which was a lot of fun).

Four or five titles on my pickup list for next week.  Going to be an insane start to convention season.  Guilty Gear -Strive- and Rift Apart release next week, so do the FFVII Remake remaster and Ninja Gaiden collection,  Still on the fence on those.  Just played FFVII R this winter, so I may bypass PS5 edition and wait till it comes out for Xbox.  I'l probably buy the Gaiden collection to support the ip, but I prefer the original versions of 1 and 2 to Sigma 1 and 2 and the original versions already run at 60 fps and a high resolution on Xbox Series X.  Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II are backwards compatible with Xbox One and Series X, if anyone didn't know.  It's looking increasingly likely the Master Collection is just a resolution bump

Probably going to be an insanely busy month for me.  Expecting a decent number of long-talked about indie titles to suddenly release after being promoted at one of the cons.  

From the "Water is Wet" category, Ubisoft is insisting that Far Cry 6 is not "political"

That prompted Far Cry 6's narrative director Navid Khavari to post a letter insisting that the game IS political

Good times

• Haha 2

One slept on aspect of FC5 is the "arcade" mode.   A lot of cool levels/mini-games in there, like zombie, sci-fi, etc.

If you like FC5, check out New Dawn.  The base/vehicle/weapon building adds a nice bit of depth, and the replayable side missions to take out bases around the country (like at the Grand Canyon) are really fun.

I'll be picking up FC6, but I'll wait for it to be on sale with all the DLC.

Edited by Neil Koch

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

We might have all missed it or maybe I just did.

Either way the God of War of sequel has been delayed till sometime in 2022

PlayStation Blog published an interview with Herman Hulst this morning.  Somewhere near the end of the transcript, he casually mentions that God of War won't be published until 2022.  It really wasn't the point of the interview and was kinda buried, so it's taking a few hours for people to notice what he said.  Twitter's only gotten ahold of the story in the past hour or so.

Edit: Hulst also confirmed God of War 2022 and Gran Turismo 7 for PS4 as well as PS5.  I think Sony previously implied GT would be a ps5 exclusive.

Honestly, I never expected the game to release in 2021.

Edited by Eoae

16 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This really, really makes me happy.  It has the same style as Untitled Goose Game (same developers, I assume) and it's a cat.  Can't wait to get it.

Nope  it is the first game being done by the studio created Matt T Wood after he left Valve.

He is working with The Oatmeal (aka the person behind Exploding Kittens) on the game

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Nope  it is the first game being done by the studio created Matt T Wood after he left Valve.

He is working with The Oatmeal (aka the person behind Exploding Kittens) on the game

Okay, I see.  I swear parts of that trailer made me think it was the same team but if not then that's quite alright with me.

I expected them to announce something this year or so. Their last full releases were 2016 (XCOM 2 and Civ VI). They have been stretching the lifetime of those games with DLC (incl. standalone one in the case of XCOM), but it's time that they present what the main team(s) was working on over the last years. I thought that maybe it would be time for another Pirates game (I doubt we will ever see another Colonization game), but something new is fine by me as well (I doubt that they try to push Marvel into the XCOM formula).

The full Guerilla Collective Showcase from earlier today

It was done in conjunction with with Black Voices in Gaming so if I am reading things correctly, all the games featured games made by Black creators or starring Black protagonists

It is is all small games so prepare for a lot of side scrolling and roguelike

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The full Guerilla Collective Showcase from earlier today

It was done in conjunction with with Black Voices in Gaming so if I am reading things correctly, all the games featured games made by Black creators or starring Black protagonists

It is is all small games so prepare for a lot of side scrolling and roguelike

Nothing I was absolutely floored by, but plenty of stuff I'll follow because they look like something I'd like to try. The standout to me was El Paso Elsewhere, which looks heavily inspired by the Max Payne games. It's been a while since a "3rd person bullet time shooter" came out, so I'm there for that.

EDIT: Here's the trailer for anyone who may be interested in that game specifically, so you don't have to hunt for it in the showcase:

Edited by Shane