DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Everything I read about Biomutant gets me more interested in the game.  Didn't realize until last night that it has a morality system of some kind.  And the character creation mode looks insanely fun.

I usually take a wait-and-see approach to upcoming games, and, if it turns out to be a disappointment, I shrug and find something else to play.  But every time I see something about Biomutant, I mumble "Please don't be terrible" under my breath.

• Like 2

I can't watch three hours of Pewdiepie, but he played Biomutant live on stream the other day (or a few days ago, I don't know). It looks fun - I don't know about $60 fun, I might wait a few weeks, or for a sale, but it doesn't look horrible or anything. It's nice that right out of the box it's 60fps too (but only 1080p). They're supposed to be posting PS5/Xbox Series gameplay sometime this week (even though it's just backwards compatibility - but they're showing what the new gen hardware can do for their game through backwards compat).

• Like 1

Top-down cyberpunk shooter/rpg The Ascent got a release date - July 29, exclusively on PC and Xbox.  It'll also hit Gamepass on Day 1.

Several journalists got some hands-on time with it and came away suitably impressed.

Edited by Eoae

Mario Golf will be an instant buy. Brings back memories of my childhood - when I was a kid, NES Open was the only game my dad was able to play and not suck at so we put so many hours into it. I've loved arcade-style golf games ever since (never got into the more "serious" ones like PGA or Tiger Woods). Looks like some quality nintendo-fun.

The Ascent looks like the perfect couch co-op game so that is going to be a Buy too. My poor backlog, I am taking off two weeks in June to try to catch up. Currently playing through Mass Effect and have Biomutant coming on Tuesday.

• Like 1

New TimeSplitters game going into development later this year.  Free Radical Design is reforming to work on the game, with original creators Steve Ellis and David Doak involved.

Development is expected to start "in a few months", so game probably won't be released for at least several years.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-20-deep-silver-has-founded-a-new-free-radical-design-to-work-on-timesplitters

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Mario Golf will be an instant buy. Brings back memories of my childhood - when I was a kid, NES Open was the only game my dad was able to play and not suck at so we put so many hours into it. I've loved arcade-style golf games ever since (never got into the more "serious" ones like PGA or Tiger Woods). Looks like some quality nintendo-fun.

I'm really excited for it even though I've never actually played a Mario Golf game.  But I've played a shit-ton of Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf and Mario Golf seems like the same thing but with that Nintendo charm.

THQ Nordic showed off Biomutant on PS5 and Xbox One today.  Bit of a kerfluffle as native 4k support is being disabled on PS5 due to technical issues (for now).  Biomutant runs at 1080p/60 fps on PS5, 1440p, 60 fps on Series S and 4k/60 flps on Series X.

Not a big deal to me, but your mileage may vary.  I wasn't expecting 4K at launch since Biomutant is a Xbox One/PS4 title.  As a recent Xbox convert, I'm a little happy that the Xbox versions are a bit better, but, really, it's not an issue to me either way.  Nier Replicant didn't run at 4K on Series X or P5 but that didn't detract from my enjoyment.  Lol, I do hope Biomutant to gets the FPS Boost treatment soon to annoy PS5 owners a little more, but otherwise....

Edited by Eoae

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This seems slightly off since it was said they were working on Starfield before 76. What does he think the main studio, which holds the majority of Bethesda's employees, was working on before 76? FO4 and its DLC was done. 

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

This seems slightly off since it was said they were working on Starfield before 76. What does he think the main studio, which holds the majority of Bethesda's employees, was working on before 76? FO4 and its DLC was done. 

Where did these rumors even come from? Actually, that's a stupid question. Don't answer that.

Anyway, I just remember when Starfield got announced I was watching Giant Bomb doing their Talking Over E3 Presentations thing and their discussion then and either that day on the E3 Bombcast or later that week said that Starfield was nowhere close to launching.

Starfield was announced back in 2018 so yeah it was nowhere near done back then. They had also been working on it for around 2-3 years prior though presumably only so much due to the eventual 76 and other works.

I'm not sure why anyone would be skeptical of all Bethesda studios working on 76. It was said by Howard himself in that yt documentary about Bethesda a few years back. Its also why 76 came together as fast and broken as it did.

I refunded my biomutant preorder. Pretty disappointed to see what the word of mouth is. 

As always, I'll wait for a sale and hope for a NMS-esque transformation in the months to come. 

On the other hand, my daughter got into playing Subnautica. I wonder what she would think about NMS.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I refunded my biomutant preorder. Pretty disappointed to see what the word of mouth is. 

As always, I'll wait for a sale and hope for a NMS-esque transformation in the months to come. 

I had Youtube on in the background at work today, so I watched Biomutant reviews all afternoon.  I'm still interested, but the game clearly isn't what I hoped it would be.  I'm not a completist or a trophy hunter, so I'm wondering how interested I'll be if the main story doesn't hold my interest.

On the other hand, the game looks great and parts of it look fascinating.  The character creation tool will probably be lots of fun and the monster designs looks interesting.  Almost everyone has praised its ambition, and I tend to ambitious, offbeat games that aren't quite great. 

I may wait to a while to actually play it, and see if they manage to address its issues with patches, but that seems like it should be the default option for all games these days. 

Edited by Eoae

While technically it might not happen - pretty much everyone is saying that Team Ninja's Final Fantasy Origins game will be officially announced at E3