DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

To be fair, those are already pending releases that might have been greenlight before this internal decision or whatever. Give it a few years and we'll see how hard Sony is pushing indie titles, or titles like Returnal.

True but Sony has been extremely indy/small game friendly for a few generations now and the gist of the current "controversy" seems to be that one studio couldn't make one game, while Days Gone - a game that had a pretty mild reception - isn't getting a sequel as of right now. Sounds like a lot of smoke for very little fire. 

• Like 1

PS5 firmware update coming tomorrow.  Going to give owners the ability to move PS5 games to an external (USB) storage device.  Still won't be able to download games to external storage, or play games from the device, but you'll be able to move games once they're downloaded.  It's a start. 

Rumor is the internal SSD expansion slots will be enabled this summer.

7 hours ago, Eoae said:

PS5 firmware update coming tomorrow.  Going to give owners the ability to move PS5 games to an external (USB) storage device.  Still won't be able to download games to external storage, or play games from the device, but you'll be able to move games once they're downloaded.  It's a start. 

Rumor is the internal SSD expansion slots will be enabled this summer.

Not a rumor. It was on the Playstation blog.

• Like 1

Sky: Children of the Light coming to Switch in June.  

Really looking forward to this.  It probably says something that I'm really struggling to find current gen games to play and digging back into the PS3/X360/Wii generation every week for something,  My big  four for upcoming games right now are Solar Ash (rumored for summer), Nier Replicant (remaster), Sky (already available on mobile devices), and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (old Xbox 360/PS3 game confirmed for PC this month, rumored to be coming to Xbox via remaster or backwards compatibility)

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Amazon Game Studios have yet to actually release a single game since being founded in 2014.

Unfortunately, the time for this has passed, into the West.

(sorry)

But old Lord of the Rings: Online is still up and running and putting out some new content couple times a year. I haven't played it in a few years, but everything up to the Minas Tirith expansion was good to great.

I checked out the RE8 Demo, and my biggest impression is that this is what we get if RE4 and RE7 had a baby, but change the Ganados and Molded into Vampires and Werewolves, and I'm totally on board with it.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, Raziel said:

I checked out the RE8 Demo, and my biggest impression is that this is what we get if RE4 and RE7 had a baby, but change the Ganados and Molded into Vampires and Werewolves, and I'm totally on board with it.

The demo had me hoping that the girl you meet would be the Ethan Trilogy equivalent of Ashley...but alas that wasn't to be.

Edited by Andrew POE!

I really hope Biomutant went silent for so long and was delayed for the right reasons as they claim (QA and bug fixing without crunch) and not because it was a dumpster fire that needed to be re-done, but it looks pretty and I'm looking forward to playing it in a few weeks.

• Like 3

Yeah, I was totally down with being a anthropormorphic animal with cyborg parts and wandering the world like Caine from Kung Fu.  I am happy this title is getting to see the light of day.

I am bummed that so far there are only previous gen ports being released for this game.  I really hope it is eventually optimized for PS5 and S/X.

• Like 1

PS5 version of Genshin Impact tomorrow, Returnal the day after, and then Mass Effect, Biomutant and Resident Evil Village all coming in the next few weeks… fuck. It’s gonna be a good month.

• Like 3

I'm gone from zero to 100 on Biomutant based solely on the fact that it looks pretty.  Really hoping it's good.

Speaking of games back from the seeming dead, Lost Souls aside emerged from radio silence yesterday with a a long gameplay trailer.  I'd forgotten this was supposed to be a thing (the trailer was released four years ago, irrc.  It looks like Devil May Cry meets Final Fantasy, so I'm intrigued.

Should be more info released Thursday.  In addition to State of Play, Sony is doing a presentation a China event (I'm not sure what China Joy is?  Gaming convention?  Haven't had time to google it).  Hoping for a release date.  Based on the little info I've seen, the China Joy presentation might be more interesting than the State of Play.  Sony says State of Play focuses on Rift Apart & two indies.  Kinda assuming Returnal is one of the indies.

Heard some mumbling about Returnal.  Still under embargo so no one can say too much, but the muttering has been quite positive.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

PS5 version of Genshin Impact tomorrow, Returnal the day after, and then Mass Effect, Biomutant and Resident Evil Village all coming in the next few weeks… fuck. It’s gonna be a good month.

Will you be able to play your PC characters on the PS5 version of Genshin Impact, or is it still separate? If it's still separate, then I doubt my daughter and I will even bother with the PS5 version.

I nearly pre-ordered Returnal until I remembered my decision to not get burned on pre-orders anymore. There's no reason to pre-order it, so if it gets good word of mouth, then I'll get it.

I am for sure getting Mass Effect. That's a no brainer.

Resident Evil I'll pass on. Never been a fan of the series. 

Biomutant I need to watch some videos about. Never heard of it before.

Edited by Craig H

No data transfer option for PC to PS5. It’s basically just an enhanced version of the PS4 game. Haptics, graphics, better load times, etc.

I’m not a huge fan of Resident Evil but the locale of Village comforts me somehow. Biohazard straight up just made me uncomfortable for some reason. Maybe because I was playing it in VR, who knows.

I have a friend who was really into this game when it came out for PS3 who showed me this. So far the Steam version doesn't have a release date, and also says that it does not support keyboard and mouse. Still, if you're into weird artistic hidden gems, there are worse games to check out.

I'd like to know who made the decision to make it so that there's no character transfer between PC and PS5/PS4 for Genshin Impact. My daughter plays it a lot and uses a controller for it. It's perfect for the console, but going to the PS5 would essentially mean starting over. 

Oh well.

I did watch some videos for Biomutant and...wow. I get major, major No Man's Sky vibes from it in the sense that it looks amazing and what's potentially there could be incredible, but there's a good chance it doesn't live up to the hype. I'm buying it if the word of mouth for it is good. Plus, with Kena not coming out until August, that opens up a gap for a game like Biomutant to fit into.

46 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I have a friend who was really into this game when it came out for PS3 who showed me this. So far the Steam version doesn't have a release date, and also says that it does not support keyboard and mouse. Still, if you're into weird artistic hidden gems, there are worse games to check out.

When the PC version was announced back in Feb., the publisher said the game would be available by mid-April.  We're past that, so I'm guessing it will be released very soon.

Highly recommend this game.  El Shaddai isn't an outstanding game, but it's gorgeous and very interesting.  The story is based on the Book of Enoch.  Basically, you play as an Enoch, who is tasked with rounding up seven fallen angels (with the help of Lucifer) before God destroys the world with a Great Flood.  Gameplay varies greatly from "stage" to stage and the visuals tend to be on the trippy side.  Lead designer/director was Sawaki Takeyasu, a longtime Capcom employee who worked with the Clover Studio crew and worked as a character designer on Devil May Cry and Okami.

Reaction to the game was polarized.  A lot of people loved it, a lot hated it.  I dug it an awful lot.  It's one of those fascinating "interesting but not quite great" games that you still saw from the major companies back in the PS3/X360 era.  It's one of the major reasons my Xbox 360 is still hooked up (along with Nier, Max Payne 3, Binary Domain, Alpha Protocol, and a few others).

• Like 1