DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Ugh, I tried to watch the e ID@Xbox indie games showcase today and it was tough going.  Nobody Saves the World and a number of other new games were announced, but I thought the show was a mess.  I turned the stream on while I was at work and worked at my desk while it played in the background and I was tuning out 90 min in (the show lasted about 3.5 hours).  Unprepared hosts, lost stretches where the hosts talked to a developer, game trailers shoved into short blocks around talking segments,  The Future Games showcase aired last night and did a couple deep dives into games where they developer did a voiceover while gameplay footage played.  For some reason, the Xbox event mostly just showed the webcam view of the developer in his living room or wherever.  I'm a big fan of the ID@Xbox program, but they need to rethink how this was set up.

I quite enjoyed the Future Games Showcase last night.  Bigger games and guests, and a much better paced show.  I thought the announcers would be annoying when they started making lame Resident Evil jokes (the hosts were all RE voice actors), but producers wisely kept the focus on games and the announcers never seemed to dominate.

I tried to post the Future Games Showcase., but it's age-restricted for some reason, and when I try to embed it, the feed displays a message that the video cannot be linked and is only viewable on Youtube.  The did extended segments on Axiom Verge and Life is Strange: True Colors, if that interests anyone.  Extended looks at gameplay and talks to the creator.  Got a decent idea what the new Life is Strange title is about. 

Not really surprising but PAX East 2021 has been officially cancelled

The in person event was supposed to run June 3-6

It is being replaced by a PAX Online event that will run from July 15-18

Jason Schreier has an article up on Bloomberg about Naughty Dog working on a Last Of Us Part 1 remake for the PS5. It also confirms that they're working on an Uncharted game and a multiplayer game (probably Last of Us Part 2: Factions).

The general gist of Schreier's article is that Sony is only wants blockbusters that will sell well in the US and is telling developers that they (Sony) doesn't want "small games that will only sell well in Japan".  Everything else in the article spins out of that.  The Uncharted game is apparently Sony's third try to reboot the franchise.  They wanted one of their studios to remake the first game until they found out how much redesign would be needed.  Then they gave the ip to Bend Studio - while rejecting pitches for Days Gone 2 and other original ips - but scrapped the idea after several Bend developers quit.  The problems at VASG and the dismantling of Japan Studio play into that too.  Apparently, Bend feared Sony intended to dismantle the studio and absorb them into Naughty Dog.  

I'm a big fan of The Last of Us, but I've bought half a dozen editions for two different consoles and don't really feel the game needs remade (PS3 TLOU = vanilla physical edition, digital edition, several different collectible editions; PS4 = digital edition + import steelbook edition).  It's going to take a lot for me to buy the game again.

To add to the Bend Studios part - they're working on a new IP after having their request to be removed from the Uncharted remake/reboot/whatever approved last month, so sayeth the Schreier.

Edited by Casey

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'm a big fan of The Last of Us, but I've bought half a dozen editions for two different consoles and don't really feel the game needs remade (PS3 TLOU = vanilla physical edition, digital edition, several different collectible editions; PS4 = digital edition + import steelbook edition).  It's going to take a lot for me to buy the game again.

It already looks great and plays fine.  Do a 60FPS patch for PS5 and call it a day.

• Like 1

Both games use different engines, right? If they did a remake in the Part 2 engine, I’d be down. But that article notes it’s being done in a completely new engine, so...

Part 2 is one of the rare games that I’ve actually started a NG+ for. The combat is so goddamn satisfying and smooth.

• Like 1

I find it incredibly short-sighted of Sony to want to remake The Last of Us and Uncharted for PS5. The whole point of new console generations was to play games that push the hardware, not games that are now two generations old again.

I consider the PS4 versions to be what Sony had in mind initially but had limitations hardware wise (which even then, the PS3 versions of Uncharted 2 & 3 and The Last of Us are incredible).

It's good news to hear that Sony is letting Bend Studios do a new IP now -- hopefully we'll see something soon.

• Like 1

Remaking TLOU makes some sense, with a television series on the way and repeated delays being caused by the pandemic, but the overall tone of Schreier's article was very dismal.  Sony seems to be creating a stifling creative environment.  Reports are saying the company refused to greenlight a number of Japan Studio pitches, including Gravity Rush 3.  It makes me wonder what the "Mendoza line" for sales is, if Gravity Rush and Days Gone didn't sell enough to merit sequels.  Sony is also supposedly telling developers it wants shorter development cycles.  That should turn out well. 

I'm wondering if TLoU would have been greenlit in 2021.  

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

It's good news to hear that Sony is letting Bend Studios do a new IP now -- hopefully we'll see something soon.

Would have been even better if they'd let the company work on a new IP before the studio lost a lot of its talent.  Apparently there's been a quiet exodus out of the studio.  Jeff Ross and John Garvin - the lead designers and directors of Days Gone - have both left.  

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Remaking TLOU makes some sense, with a television series on the way and repeated delays being caused by the pandemic, but the overall tone of Schreier's article was very dismal.  Sony seems to be creating a stifling creative environment.  Reports are saying the company refused to greenlight a number of Japan Studio pitches, including Gravity Rush 3.  It makes me wonder what the "Mendoza line" for sales is, if Gravity Rush and Days Gone didn't sell enough to merit sequels.  Sony is also supposedly telling developers it wants shorter development cycles.  That should turn out well. 

I'm wondering if TLoU would have been greenlit in 2021.  

Would have been even better if they'd let the company work on a new IP before the studio lost a lot of its talent.  Apparently there's been a quiet exodus out of the studio.  Jeff Ross and John Garvin - the lead designers and directors of Days Gone - have both left.  

The fact that they wouldn't greenlight Gravity Rush 3 and other unique games tells me that Sony will have struggles with PS5 even outside of Covid restrictions. Shorter development cycles = crappier games or more crunch, more bugs.

Sony will be in a rude awakening once sales on PS5s starting dropping off and they won't have as many first party games available or ready. Jim Ryan may keep his job, but a lot of people on trophy hunting sites and on Twitter want him gone.

• Like 1