DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2021 & Beyond)

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I was briefly excited when they first started the trailer because I thought, "Wow, Nintendo is doing a Horizon: Zero Dawn like game in the Splatoon universe." Then it showed the city and I thought, "What, you mean you get to explore it like Yakuza and go to a baseball practice place or do karaoke or find an arcade that lets you play Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong? Sweet, sign me up."

But nope.....just more Splatoon. Prepare to paint floors for 100s of hours. Everything else we saw was probably hub world stuff.

Out of everything Nintendo has done, I can't muster up any enthusiasm for Splatoon. The music has a lot of punk rock energy, but that's it.

It's the only shooter where I can be running, see an enemy, and can't aim, run, and shoot at the same time. I have to stop, slowly aim because the Joycons and Pro Controller are poop, and then shoot. Meanwhile, I'm getting hit from all sides, which I guess is why they have the mechanic to dip back into the paint to heal up and refill your tank.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

So, having never played Skyward Sword, can anyone explain what's so bad about it?

From a technical standpoint - the motion controls were infuriating

But as I mentioned - they are doing away with those for the Switch version

I also remember a much more infuriating version of Navi

55 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

So, having never played Skyward Sword, can anyone explain what's so bad about it?

seconding the motion controls. Typical Nintendo "we need to integrate our new design no matter what". Not allowing this to be played with a Pro Controller is a sin.

my biggest gripe was that there is your "home" in Skyloft (a city in the clouds), where the story progresses through NPC interactions and whatever.  Then there are 3 places on the ground. You replay each of these areas three times, making the game pretty repetitive. The first time was neat, the second time was whatever, but by the third time it was just an eyeroll. Sure, you've gained a few new tools, so there's alternate paths, but it's still the same area. You fight the secondary boss, the Imprisoned, a number of times and it's essentially the same fight each time. It just becomes less interesting the longer you play.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the game overall. I wouldn't say it's a "bad" game, but it certainly doesn't live up to its Legend of Zelda predecessors.

Well, whatever the real title ends up being, there's a better than 75% chance Project Triangle Strategy will be my game of the year for 2022

I'm glad I kept holding off on buying Skyward Sword in the Wii U virtual console. I know it's not great, but it's Zelda.

Mario Golf speed mode looks amazing, but I don't think I'm real likely to buy it, at least unless it actually goes on sale with a decent discount.

The Square rpg re-releases are all things I'll gladly buy, but nothing I'm to excited about.

I'll glad take Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on Switch, but I'd really like to see HD updates the 3ds Zelda games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

From a technical standpoint - the motion controls were infuriating

But as I mentioned - they are doing away with those for the Switch version

I also remember a much more infuriating version of Navi

FWIW though, there are still moron controls, but you use flicks with the right thumbstick to swing your sword. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

FWIW though, there are still moron controls, but you use flicks with the right thumbstick to swing your sword. 

Goddamn that is the greatest typo/autocorrect in regards to anything Nintendo ever.

• Haha 4

Really, not much worked for me about Skyward Sword.   Motion controls are probably my biggest complaint, but I really disliked the art style.  Writing didn't do a whole lot for me either.  Supporting cast is over-the-top silly and the story hasn't stuck in my memory like the console games before and after.  I'll probably pick Skyward Sword HD at some point because the franchise is one of my favorites, but right now I'm wanting to pass.  If the rumors are true ad we get some sort of remaster collection, I probably will pass.  We'll see.  It will also depend some on reviews.  From a design standpoint, I can't imagine how Skyward Sword works without the motion controls.  So much of the game was oriented around that.

Regarding Donkey Kong, I'v cooled on the series as I've gotten older.  The arcade games and DK Country don't hold the appeal they did for me when I was younger - maybe because I played so much of them at the time.   I wasn't too interested in DKC Returns when i realized it didn't support the Classic Controller.  I own Tropical Freeze for the Wii U but have never played much of it.  I'll eventually give the Switch port a go.

On the other hand, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is still one of my sentimental favorites.  I like the bongo controller even though it's next to impossible to not look ridiculous while trying to play it.  I wish designers had tried to incorporate it into more games.

In retrospect, i would have liked Cyberpunk 2077 a lot more if it had been playable on a bongo.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I mean dumping the entire studio working on the game IS surprising

Ordinarily.  But, given some of the rumors that have been swirling around, it's along the lines of what I expected.  Someone in my Twitter feed (forget who) hinted a week or two back that there would be a drastic development with the game.  Given that they already pushed the release date to "TBA" and fired the creative director without giving him much warning that his job was in jeopardy, the only "drastic" developments i could think of were canceling the game outright or chucking the build and starting over.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

@J.T. in shambles right now.

Not really.  I am hoping that Paradox / White Wolf just figured out what CDPR didn't and simply abandoned development of the game for previous gen in favor of releasing a title optimized for Series X / PS5.  I'd rather see Bloodlines 2 get shitcanned rather than suffer though a disastrous launch. 

It'd be Bloodlines 1 all over again with the game being practically unplayable out of the box.  Bloodlines 1 was still garbage months after launch and the developer, Troika, went bankrupt before they were able to fix the game.  It was the mod community that stepped up and saved Bloodlines 1.

I also assume that Paradox / WW dumped Hardsuit over the creative differences we saw last year.  VtM is a flavor rich setting and I can only guess that P/WW didn't like the content they were seeing from Hardsuit.

I have to say that the gameplay vid we saw last year with the player character breaking Masquerade code left and right didn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Kind of strange to have a State of Play when for PS5 stuff when they can't even get the damn things shipped out.  The semiconductor issue will apparently mean supply's not guaranteed for even Christmas so at this point I'll likely be able to get one next year.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Kind of strange to have a State of Play when for PS5 stuff when they can't even get the damn things shipped out.  The semiconductor issue will apparently mean supply's not guaranteed for even Christmas so at this point I'll likely be able to get one next year.

It's a PS4/PS5 showcase.  Honestly, it seems likely there will only be a handful of PS5 exclusives this year, so...  Most of the games I think we might see are releasing simultaneously on PS4 and PS5.

I'm hpyed for this and my expectations aren't even ridiculous.  God of War said to not be part of showcase.  I'm not counting on seeing Horizon Forbidden West or Bloodborne II.  Or another Spider-Man title.  

I'm expecting a lot of Kena: Bridge of Spirits.  Release date is supposedly in March.  Deathloop seems likely.  Ratchet and Clank seems likely.  I'd guess Annapurna Interactive will be represented.  I'm hoping they show more of Solar Ash and maybe Stray.  I'd like to see more footage from The Artful Escape, but I think that's a timed Xbox exclusive.

Returnal seems likely.  Maybe some info on Jett: The Far Shore, the new Oddworld title, or Little Devil.

There's been some rumors that Naughty Dog is working on a new ip.  Also, Bluepoint is supposedly working on a second game and has been for awhile.

Silent Hill remake?  Rumors seems pretty substantial.

Outriders?  That might be a Microsoft exclusive.  People Can Fly had/has some sort of relationship with Epic Games 

PlatinumGames has been quiet lately.

I'm assuming there will be a few surprises.  I'll be surprised if I walk away disappointed or disinterested.

I'd like to hear Elden Ring but Microsoft's supposedly got some deal in place to promo it during an Xbox presentation.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

And one last thing about EA - I posted the specific point in the Dragon Age thread however it appears that EA has bailed on the concept of "games as service"

Basically - Dragon Age 4 will be a single player game and that is due to A) Jedi Fallen Order doing well and B) Anthem... well... not doing well.

• Like 3

Show doesn't actually start until 15 min mark.

No huge surprises, but a solid showing, I thought.  Previewed Crash Bandicoot 4 for PS5, Returnal, Knockout City, new IP called SIFU, Solar Ash, Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach, Oddworld; Soulstorm, Kena: Bridge of Spirits. Deathloop, and Final Fantasy VII Remaster for PS5 with a new chapter.

Oddworld: Soulstorm releases in April, Kena releases in August (March was rumored), FFVIIR remaster drops in June.

Who in their right mind would think Kena would be a free game?! That looks like a $60 to $70 AAA title.

From watching all of the videos on it, it looks amazing. There's going to be a lot of comparisons to various Zelda titles though.

• Like 1