DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Got my 235th Platinum trophy with Soul Sacrifice for PSVita. The servers for this game are shutting down on December 24, 2021. The Avalon pacts proved to be the toughest ones to do since partner AI is awful and solo playing can be difficult. So I had to do the Avalon pacts with online partners. Once the servers shut down, it will become harder to Platinum.

EDIT: After spending two weeks doing really grindy RPG Platinums on Vita, decided to do some fast Platinums. Did Sakura Succubus on PS4 & PS5 for Platinum #236 & #237. Will go back to Soul Sacrifice Delta this week.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

Fuck.

Masayuki Uemura, a Japanese home computer game pioneer whose Nintendo consoles sold millions of units worldwide, has died, according to the university in Kyoto where he taught. He was 78.

Uemura, the lead architect behind Nintendo Co.'s trailblazing home game consoles, died Monday, Ritsumeikan University said in a statement. The cause of his death was not released.

Born in Tokyo in 1943, Uemura studied electronic engineering at the Chiba Institute of Technology and joined Nintendo in 1971.

Uemura was tasked by then-president Hiroshi Yamauchi in 1981 with developing a home console for games like Donkey Kong, which was a huge hit in the United States at the time but only available for arcade use.

The so-called Famicom game system hit the Japanese market in 1983 as Nintendo's first cartridge-based console, allowing users to play popular games that came in cassette formats. The upgraded Super Famicom was released in Japan in 1990.

The Nintendo Entertainment System, as it was known, hit the United States in 1985 and eventually became a global sensation with more than 60 million consoles sold worldwide, bringing international recognition to a company that previously made traditional Japanese card games, other playing cards and toys.

After retiring from Nintendo, Uemura taught game studies starting in 2004 at Ritsumeikan University in the ancient Japanese capital, which is also home to Nintendo.

"We offer our heartfelt appreciation for Mr. Uemura's huge contributions to the development of the game industry by introducing a variety of video game consoles including family computers," Ritsumeikan University said in a statement. “May he rest in peace."

Yasuraka ni yasumu, Uemura-san. ?

Edited by J.T.
  • Sad 4

Just finished GreedFall and got the "and they lived happily ever after" bestest ending.  Still a bunch of Secret Trophies left to unlock and some probably come from unlocking the shittier endings so no thanks.  I think I am done with this game since I have no interest in suffering on higher difficulty or playing as a female so that I can bang the male NPCs.

Now to move on to either Guardians of the Galaxy or Xuan Yuan 7.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Go with Guardians. I'm curious how well earned it's narrative award was. 

I played a bit of XY7 and saw that I need more time to get a handle on the control scheme.   Will start playing GoTG and then double back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Didn't Abnett or someone from the comics work on the story? 

I don't think Abnett worked on the game though apparently the DnA run was one of their inspirations and they did show it to Abnett to get his thoughts.

I started playing Archvale on Xbox. It’s one part 2D Zelda, one part Metroidvania, two parts Enter the Gungeon and a smidge of Forager on top. Charming as hell.

The bullet hell stuff hasn’t been too much of a challenge so far, but I’m still  pretty early. There’s some challenge rooms that are much tougher, but I’ve muddled through. 

So after a bunch of lawsuits to third parties, Sony finally announced that they're coming out with different colored plates for the PS5 (along with new colors for the DualSense). New colors for the controller and the plates release next month. Watch 'em be like $100 or some shit.

98b9c9041218a901161ab28ceef01e2105a90101

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

So after a bunch of lawsuits to third parties, Sony finally announced that they're coming out with different colored plates for the PS5 (along with new colors for the DualSense).

I'm curious. What on earth could have been the legal impediment to releasing different coloured PS5s?

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Oh, you mean third parties had been selling different coloured plates for the PS5 and Sony sued them over it? Sounds typical.

Sony's objection was ostensibly trademark infringement.  The companies that tried to sell faceplates featured knockoff PlayStation logos on their plates.  The first company with the plates used the word "playstation5" in their web address and vaguely suggested on their website that the product was approved by Sony.

The real objection probably is that Sony wanted to sell their own faceplates before the knockoffs flooded the market.  I try to only buy Sony accessories or official licensed products whenever possible, so this works for me.  I'll most likely buy the light blue and black faceplates and controllers.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started playing Paper Mario today for the first time. I wanted the true authentic experience so I am using a N64 controller, but man is it taking time to get used to holding the damn thing. I had a N64 of course back in the day as I am old, and at the time I am sure I got used to it pretty quick, but after 20 years of holding a PS controller it feels awfully weird.

• Like 2

Guardians of the Galaxy looks beautiful on Series X and a 4K television set.  I hate games that rush me.  I want to hear the dialogue during the first story mission, but I keep forgetting I am supposed to be competing against Rocket in this stupid shooting contest and I need to beat him if I want to unlock this dumb Eat It, Rodent achievement.

It's a bit daunting to hunt for collection widgets and explore the area like I should when I am paranoid about the achievement.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Guardians of the Galaxy looks beautiful on Series X and a 4K television set.  I hate games that rush me.  I want to hear the dialogue during the first story mission, but I keep forgetting I am supposed to be competing against Rocket in this stupid shooting contest and I need to beat him if I want to unlock this dumb Eat It, Rodent achievement.

It's a bit daunting to hunt for collection widgets and explore the area like I should when I am paranoid about the achievement.

I fell way behind him and still somehow got it. The banter in that game is endless. 

I'm finally playing Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time. I think the biggest tip I saw was "Don't do all the side quests, at least not at first. Progress the plot." I'm many hours in now and have maybe progressed the plot for 40 minutes of that time. I'm also level 25. I have done all the sidequests I could though! And explored heavily instead of progressing the plot. Oops. 

• Haha 2