DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Anyone want to recommend some games that aren't available on current-gen consoles?  We got a new computer and a Steam Link, so I'm dipping a toe into PC gaming.  So far, I'm nonplussed, but my Stem Deck is probably at least 6-8 months off and there are some games I'd like to play in the interim.

Right now, I'm only interested in games not playable on PlayStation, Xbox, or Switch.  Not much interested in online multiplayer titles.

So far, I've bought a couple titles that may never get ported to home consoles (Killer7 remaster, Black Mesa, Paper Beast Folded Edition) and some PS3/PS Vita remasters that aren't backwards compatible and may never be remastered (A Rose in the Twilight, Firefly Diaries, Max Payne 3, Persona 4 Golden).

I'm surprised Persona 4 and Killer7 haven't been brought to current consoles.  Killer7 was supposed to get a Switch port but it never materialized and both the port studio and Suda51 deny it was ever considered.

All of the previous XBox consoles sold poorly and failed in Japan. However, the XBox One Series X and S consoles combined are selling 4 times faster than the XBox One consoles did in Japan. So far Microsoft sold over 100,000 units of X and S combined in Japan, so those newer consoles have outdone what it took the Xbox One four years to do.

Finished Far Cry 6.  On the one hand, I understand why some people feel like they've been playing the same game since Far Cry 3.  On the the other hand, the formula still works, so why mess with it.  6 might be/is probably my favorite game in the franchise.  Memorable villain?  Check.  Huge open-world with a lot to do?  Check.  Attack crocodiles?  Check check check.  I do wish Antón Castillo had a bigger role, but that's my standard complaint with Far Cry's psychopaths.  Besides, it's not like the game was short on evil crazy people.  Throw a rock....

Anyway, really liked the game  Probably won't be my GotY but it will be high on the list.  I am glad they got away from the trope of average guy protagonist who frequently says "I'm not a trained killer" - right before he murders a roomful of people exactly like a trained killer would.

Edited by Eoae

16 hours ago, Eoae said:

Finished Far Cry 6.  On the one hand, I understand why some people feel like they've been playing the same game since Far Cry 3.  On the the other hand, the formula still works, so why mess with it.  6 might be/is probably my favorite game in the franchise.  Memorable villain?  Check.  Huge open-world with a lot to do?  Check.  Attack crocodiles?  Check check check.  I do wish Antón Castillo had a bigger role, but that's my standard complaint with Far Cry's psychopaths.  Besides, it's not like the game was short on evil crazy people.  Throw a rock....

Anyway, really liked the game  Probably won't be my GotY but it will be high on the list.  I am glad they got away from the trope of average guy protagonist who frequently says "I'm not a trained killer" - right before he murders a roomful of people exactly like a trained killer would.

Good god man, you’ve finished Far Cry 6 already? I’ve only met the rap duo and maybe 85% of the way through their quest line, and there’s still like… what, 4 or 5 other people/groups I’m supposed to help?

Granted I can’t play any Far Cry game for too long because I get bored, maybe 2 or 3 hours a day tops, but still. Damn, it was just released like two weeks ago ?

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Good god man, you’ve finished Far Cry 6 already? I’ve only met the rap duo and maybe 85% of the way through their quest line, and there’s still like… what, 4 or 5 other people/groups I’m supposed to help?

Granted I can’t play any Far Cry game for too long because I get bored, maybe 2 or 3 hours a day tops, but still. Damn, it was just released like two weeks ago ?

I didn't do many of the side quests.  I mostly just stick to the main quests in games.  Not a completionist or a trophy hunter.  I'm estimating I spent 35-45 hours with in over 12 days.  That's a lot more time than I usually spend on games.  Most of that play time occurred between 11 PM and 3 AM.  I don't sleep much and, since the pandemic started, I've fallen into the habit of playing for a couple hours after my wife heads to bed.

I enjoyed FC6 a lot so I'll most likely go back to it after they release some patches and dlc and try to check out more of the world   

One long game I do plan to dig into soon is AC: Valhalla.  I bounced off it pretty quickly last year, but have gotten more into it recently and want to spend a lot of time with it over the winter.  Hoping to clear some of the shorter games off my pile by December something and give that some time in December and January.  

On 10/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, J.T. said:

POE's PSN profile with the Lollypop Chainsaw image is totally awesome and sketchy.

I want to Platinum it since it's Halloween. Sadly, Shadows of the Damned was a better game than Lollipop Chainsaw so far. LC is No More Heroes but even more mindless.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D.Z said:

I am currently playing ancient PS 1 games like RE3, FFV, Tekken 3, Battle Arena whatever it was, and buncha others.

Toshinden! Been tempted to pickup a ps1 since my ps2's gotten old and most of my PS1s don't come on as easily as they used to.  Still have most of my games but been missing a few I used to have, like the Twisted Metal series. PS1 is definitely one of my all time favorite eras of games and one that brings the most nostalgia feel when I think of Street Fighter Alpha, Tomb Raider, Symphony of the Night, WCW vs The World, etc.

• Like 2

Welp, my PS5 Dualsense controllers and now both drifting like fucking crazy. Even worse than anything I experienced with my Switch Joycons. I noticed it while playing Deathloop. I was on a ledge on a billboard that was pretty high up. I'm looking through a hole in the billboard at who I'm going to stealth kill. Without touching the thumbsticks, I just start moving pretty fast to the point where I walk right off the ledge and die. I then started noticing it more and more elsewhere and while playing Farcry 6.

Birthday presents are kinda dumb to me at this point, but I'll gladly accept anything my daughter makes me because that's cool. However, the controllers are so bad now that I've asked for a controller for my birthday.

What's worse about the Dualsense is that I don't think you can fix them like you can with the Joycons. I ordered some WD40 electronics cleaner spray from Amazon and I might give that a shot because I don't know if Sony is actually covering drift as part their warranty.

Seagate announced a smaller/cheaper SSD expansion card for Xbox Series X, S.  New card is 512 mb and will retail for $139.99 (by comparison, 1 TB card has a msrp of $199.99).  Pre-orders are supposed to open today at Wal-mart (card will also be available from Target, Amazon, and any other retail that carries Seagate products).

Seagate also announced a 2 TB expansion card that will retail for $399.99.  Preorders for that one will begin in November.  Sigh.  Guess I might have a used 1 tb card for sale after the 2 TB gets delivered to my address, in case anyone is interested. 

I really don't need to add to my backlog, but... fuck it. What's the general consensus on the Outlast games, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Thief? All 5 of those combined are only like $30, with Thief only being like $1.99.

On the Xbox side of things, I'm considering the Silent Hill HD Collection.

Outlast is ok.  Neat for horror, but I never really got too deep into it.  RE2 Remake was great, even if the B-scenarios ended up feeling tacked on.  Never really got into Theif.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I really don't need to add to my backlog, but... fuck it. What's the general consensus on the Outlast games, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Thief? All 5 of those combined are only like $30, with Thief only being like $1.99.

On the Xbox side of things, I'm considering the Silent Hill HD Collection.

RE 2 Remake is great.  Retains best elements of original version, with a bit of a new spin on things and next-gen graphics.  I really enjoyed it and reviews were positive.  Made a lot of "best of the year" lists, as I recall.

I'd give Thief a mild recommendation, but it's nothing I'd suggest going out of your way for.  I picked it up because I'm a big fan of Eidos Montreal's other games (the Deus Ex reboot titles and Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and it's weaker than those titles.  Interesting art direction & world-building, but the gameplay is fairly average & the story is thin.  You've probably played other, better stealth-action games.  It's probably worth the money if you're a fan of the studio or the early 2000 Thief titles, but you probably have better games in your backlog pile.

Outlast has never been on my radar, so I know nothing about it/them. 

After an 80+ hour diversion playing Hades I wrapped up the Ghost of Tsushima DLC and all the single player trophies. Highly recommend if you liked the base game. I tried out Legends mode again and I'm addicted. I haven't played an online game for more than an hour since Call of Duty Black Ops on the PS3 but I love this extra feature. Very few jerks I've come across too, which is always a bonus.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Resident Evil 0 & 1 had "HD remasters" or whatever - that actually look pretty good - so I went ahead and bought those, along with RE2 Remake. I'm gonna jump into 0 a little later tonight, I'm actually excited to do so.

Well, Greedfall, Gold Edition was 40% off at the Microsoft Store.  I bought it this time around.  I can now try to create the black homie from Bridgerton to be my colonial era sword and sorcery hero.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2