DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I wound up pre-ordering/buying Far Cry 6, which was something of a pain in the ass to purchase for the PS5. Most games now give the distinction of buying a game for either the PS4 or PS5. Not so with Far Cry 6. So you buy the game and then it gives you the option to download the PS5 version, the PS4 version, and the pre-order bonus pack...for the PS4. Uh, ok. So I choose to download the PS5 version and after that, I can't get back to that screen to download the pre-order bonuses. Once the game did download though, and got pre-installed, it gave me the option to download the bonus pack, which also triggered the PS4 version of the game to download. I cancelled the PS4 version download, which also cancelled the bonus pack.

Come on Ubisoft. This shit is ridiculous. I also understand there is supposed to be some kind of high res texture pack for the PS5 version, but I can't even see where that's available and I didn't get any sort of day 1 patch.

Ubisoft may make some good games, but dear lord do they fuck up everything else.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Come on Ubisoft. This shit is ridiculous. I also understand there is supposed to be some kind of high res texture pack for the PS5 version, but I can't even see where that's available and I didn't get any sort of day 1 patch.

One of the IT guys at work thinks the texture pack is already downloaded.  Apparently some platforms have to download the texture pack separately, others don't.  He thinks the texture pack installed when the game installed.

His recommendation is to check the size of the game file and the version number of the file.  If the file is 60-70 GB, you already have the texture pack installed.  Also, according to him, the letters "HD" should appear in the the top left corner of the screen next to the version number of the file.

Hope that helps.  I can't check it myself.  Buying FC6 for Xbox One, not PS5.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

So where should we talk about the story about how much wrestlers were making on Twitch?

Here or the wrestling megathread? 

Do it here - I don't read that other one and I wanna know.

Caveat that this us prob not 100% accurate but some streamers say their leaked numbers were right 

Spoiler
SEScoops Wrestling News
Home  News  AEW

Twitch Leak Includes Payouts For Adam Cole, Paige & Zelina Vega

October 6, 2021
Twitch Leak Data leak reveals Paige, Adam Cole & others are reportedly making huge money off their Twitch channels

A massive Twitch leak has allegedly unveiled the payouts of streamers, including WWE and AEW stars.

4Chan (via VICE) has been the home of many leaks over the years and this time, an anonymous poster shared 135GB of data revealing the payouts of popular Twitch streamers. Someone uploaded the pay wrestling streamers received on the platform, which has since been deleted on Pastebin. Fear not, we’ve got the totals here.

Several streamers confirmed on Twitter that their data inside the leak is accurate. Jason Koebler of VICE also says the figures appear legitimate, based on internal knowledge of what their own channel earns.

How Much Do Wrestlers Make From Twitch?

The following is the Twitch revenue data for the largest wrestling-related accounts for September 2019 through September 2021.

Keep in mind, these payouts are from subscriptions and bits. They do not include donations, which is a huge chunk of pay for streamers on Twitch typically.

• Paige (@SarayaOfficial) – $478,224
  • Zelina Vega (@theatrinidad) – $341,748
  • Adam Cole (@TheCHUGS) – $318,080
  • Impact Wrestling (@impactwrestling) – $69,140
  • Tyler Breeze (@thesweetzlive) – $43,755
  • Evil Uno (@eviluno) – $35,742
  • Colt Cabana (@coltcabana) – $32,479
  • Xavier Woods (@AustinCreed) – $25,431

• Like 1

For my first Farcry game, Farcry 6 is pretty damn fun. It's the right amount of wacky to balance out some of the more serious parts. The game world is also gigantic. Holy shit. I feel like the whole game could take place on the island you start out on. I'm still on that island and looked at the rest of the map and my jaw just dropped at how much more there was left to explore.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

For my first Farcry game, Farcry 6 is pretty damn fun. It's the right amount of wacky to balance out some of the more serious parts. The game world is also gigantic. Holy shit. I feel like the whole game could take place on the island you start out on. I'm still on that island and looked at the rest of the map and my jaw just dropped at how much more there was left to explore.

I tried 3 and 4, and I didn't like the gameplay or the island settings they had. That's crazy these days, since 3 is considered a classic apparently? Or I guess the villain is, anyway (Michael Mando is the voice actor/likeness). But 5... I loved the shit out of 5, because it was set in a "small" rural town where the place was controlled by a crazy Christian church and the leader was an absolute nut in the same vein as a Jim Jones or what have you. I got very close to going the full 100% on the trophy list. The season pass content was hit or miss, but the main game of 5 was just a goddamn blast. Little to no interest in the "sequel" to it - New Dawn - though.

I'll buy 6 eventually, mainly when it's a little cheaper/I get giftcards or something, and when I have a TV that can take advantage of 4K/HDR/etc. Right now I just have a basic ass max resolution 1080p big ol' TV.

I think my video game tastes usually align with Jeff Gerstmann's, except for how much time he puts into CoD. I'm fully out on CoD, but I will be buying the next BF in hopes that it's as good as BF 4. Anyway, Jeff really liked the game because it's a lot of stupid shit, in a good way. The dialogue is all very good though and it controls really well. Coming over from Deathloop, it actually plays incredibly well because I think Deathloop's controls for shooting are a little on the crappy, overly forgiving side. However, Deathloop is the first FPS my daughter has played so it makes her think she's doing pretty well. She wants to play Farcry 6 too, so we'll see how that goes.

I'll be especially worried if she wants to start playing BF 2042.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

I tried 3 and 4, and I didn't like the gameplay or the island settings they had. That's crazy these days, since 3 is considered a classic apparently? Or I guess the villain is, anyway (Michael Mando is the voice actor/likeness). But 5... I loved the shit out of 5, because it was set in a "small" rural town where the place was controlled by a crazy Christian church and the leader was an absolute nut in the same vein as a Jim Jones or what have you. I got very close to going the full 100% on the trophy list. The season pass content was hit or miss, but the main game of 5 was just a goddamn blast. Little to no interest in the "sequel" to it - New Dawn - though.

I'll buy 6 eventually, mainly when it's a little cheaper/I get giftcards or something, and when I have a TV that can take advantage of 4K/HDR/etc. Right now I just have a basic ass max resolution 1080p big ol' TV.

I don't love any of the Far Cry games, but I've played enough of them that I had a shit load of fun with all of them.  For the most part, I don't even really play the game like it's supposed to be played, I just enjoy the sandbox.  I forget which one was in Asia, but my favorite thing to do in that game was hunt rhinos and elephants on motorcycles and 4-wheelers.  If I'm going to hunt, I want to be at a distinct physical disadvantage.

I love Far Cry but my backlog is such that I am going to wait for the price drop I know is coming very quickly as happens with all Far Cry games. I just don't really understand the reviewers that complain that it doesn't change the formula enough. Its a Far Cry game, you know exactly what you are getting. I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea, but playing Far Cry and expecting something that isn't Far Cry is going to lead to disappointment. If the series has been nothing else, its been rather consistent in its general gameplay.

I'm bummed that they took out the random kidnappings that happened in 5, since I think that would work really well in a authoritarian regime setting where you're playing as a freedom fighter, but hey, whatever. I just took out a fuel depot with a tank, so... I'm having fun.

Yeah, that's right, 8 hours later I caved and bought it at full price because I have no self control and I love Far Cry even if I didn't like 3 and 4 that much.

Now, what I definitely WILL wait on to go down in price is the season pass, because FUUUUUCK paying $35 for that stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I love Far Cry but my backlog is such that I am going to wait for the price drop I know is coming very quickly as happens with all Far Cry games. I just don't really understand the reviewers that complain that it doesn't change the formula enough. Its a Far Cry game, you know exactly what you are getting. I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea, but playing Far Cry and expecting something that isn't Far Cry is going to lead to disappointment. If the series has been nothing else, its been rather consistent in its general gameplay.

Do they want to go back to Far Cry 2 where you have to deal with weapons jamming and taking malaria pills? And ridiculously long multiplayer trophies/achievements?

I'm not digging the rolling back to the level gating bullet-spongieness of 4 after how smooth 5 was.  I shouldn't have to head shot someone 5 fucking times to kill them because I didn't put the right 3 star muzzle break on my rifle with the correct ammo type.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm not digging the rolling back to the level gating bullet-spongieness of 4 after how smooth 5 was.  I shouldn't have to head shot someone 5 fucking times to kill them because I didn't put the right 3 star muzzle break on my rifle with the correct ammo type.

This is a little annoying to me so far. What's worse is that sometimes it feels completely arbitrary. There will be times where I headshot someone with my junk rifle, the first one you get, and it's a one shot kill. And then other times it's not and those enemies then alert others. I'm also not in a high level area. For example, this happened both in the mission to get the depleted uranium and the mission to burn the tobacco farm. 

Other than that, my biggest aggravation is the completely dogshit saving system, in that there isn't one. I have no fucking idea when or where my last save was. For example, I obtained the deleted uranium and it was going to be a long run back so I figured, well, I did the thing I need to do so surely it saved. 

Nope. Didn't save. What's worse is that my last save was all the way back when I was fucking around doing something else around an hour before I even got the uranium. So last night I had to do that shit all over again. My guess is that it either saves randomly or it definitely saves when you FULLY complete a mission by going back to the base or whoever you're doing a fetch quest for. That is fucking bullshit. I get no wanting people to save scum, but at the same time, let people play the game the way they want to play it. I'm not going to save scum, but it would be nice to save my game at a quiet point so I can then go do something else with my life, like sleep. 

And I got to play some of PGA 2K21. It's really good and addicting, but I also feel like it's a little easy. Either that or I played so many Tiger Woods games and Golden Tee over the years that all golf games are going to be easy. 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:44 AM, Andrew POE! said:

Do they want to go back to Far Cry 2 where you have to deal with weapons jamming and taking malaria pills? And ridiculously long multiplayer trophies/achievements?

I didn't mind the jamming/pills so much, but I hated having to back track all the way back to the mission start point so you could make a phone call to complete the mission.

• Haha 1

So is anyone playing New World since it has a full release and isn't melting GPUs? For $40 or $50 and no monthly fees, I'm tempted to give it a shot. Plus, it's the only MMO I can think of that has active combat unless you want to count Destiny as an MMO.

So I was ready to do a while whine about feeling like Far Cry 6 was a step back with bullet sponges and lack of upgrade materials...

Then I took down the blockade and made it to Libertad HQ and the game cracked wide open and I reliazed that the opening area was just rough and now we're rocking and rolling.  So yeah, never mind.  

• Like 1

So everything I've seen of Metroid Dread has pretty much sold me a Switch when I get a spare $500, which is amazing considering how bleh Nintendo's been lately.  Looks like a legit GOTY contender.

TRES-BASHERS [3]
Adorable NES styled platformer where you are a tiny rat hunting freaky cryptids and trying to recover all your cool cryptid notes and save your partner in cryptid-hunting from the head of the Cryptid gang, Sasquatch. Usually don't go for pixel retro stuff anymore but this one's got such a powerful premise that I dont regret checking it out at all.

CROSSCODE [3]
I was having a good time- not a great time- until in one of the dungeons all of the enemies just suddenly started not following the rules of the rest of the game. After failing that encounter ten times and nearly throwing a controller (which I literally haven't done since Super Mario Galaxy) I went into the difficulty options and cranked down the enemy damage to the absolute bottom to keep going. It's fine, but it's uneven. I want to see where the story is going.

SUPER AUTO PETS [3]
It's free and it's a super paired down Auto Chess, and a few years ago I attempted to explain Auto Chess in here so just read that and then imagine it's like 1/5th as much complicated.

METROID DREAD [2]
Here's a variety of snippy things I have said about this game to other people.

• If you would have asked me on saturday night I would have told you this is the most disappointed I've been in a game.
  • congratulations to Cruelty Squad for winning Game of the Year in a fuckin walk
  • i've been wondering who this game is for and I'm starting to think the answer is "the developers"
  • at least the speed runs will look nuts

Five hours in and I've been having a miserable time. I was looking for an eerie adventure, and instead have recieved hyper-repetitive platinum action with PG horror elements. If you played Doom Eternal and disliked The Marauder, imagine there's Three Different Kinds of Marauder and you'll have a sense of what you're in for. The combat is repetitive, the animation is so fast that it looks like ads for mobile games, the one-hit-kills from the EMMI aren't even like exciting when they happen because Nintendo wont show anything graphic, but they also won't relent with how fucked up they are to deal with so you'll see the same three death animations over and over... Not having fun! Regret buying this! Wouldn't recommend!

EDIT: srsly tho Cruelty Squad is the game of the year, the snippy part is emphasizing just how much better it is than everything else that's happened this year

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988

yay someone else is playing CrossCode! I can't make it past the first cave area or whatever. But I do love the combat, it feels really satisfying somehow.

One of the only games I've ever double dipped on (4 or 5 total), buying the Collector's Edition from Strictly Limited and buying the PS4 --> PS5 version. Only other games are Life Is Strange 1, Before the Storm and Cosmic Star Heroine where I triple dipped (!) - first on the Switch, then the Collector's Edition for PS4 from Limited Run, then I bought the digital version on PS5.

Edited by Casey

More and more Deathloop feels like a game I'll play forever and never beat. There is just so much exploring and clue finding. The game is great at compiling all of the clues, notes, and recordings you find. The thing it needs though is some kind of running list that Cole puts together for what order he needs to kill everyone in. You do so much exploring and uncovering that it would just be nice to just have an in game checklist of ok, it's morning, I need to do this thing to make it so that these two people are in the same place at noon, but before that I need to kill this other person in Updaam. Something like that.

It's still fun, but I think stealthing is too OP. Most of all of my kills have been stealth kills with either the machete or the LMP. I even stealth killed a Visionary which I didn't think would be possible.

• Like 1