DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Read an article yesterday that Housemarque are trying to find a way to improve auto-saving in Returnal.

If they can employ an even halfway decent auto-save in the game, then I'll drop $70 on it the day that update goes out.

I know Animal Crossing is really popular around here, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a similar game that is better and more addictive in almost every single way.  It's on Gamepass, and well worth a download. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Be happy your wife was satisfied with the Switch Lite.  Mine has cycled through a couple different ones.  2017 Switch (used, first one I bought) -> Switch Lite (meh) -> Animal Crossing LE (too girly) -> Current model with the better battery.  Of course, just as I finished buying/selling her discarded Switches, the Mario LE came out and I replaced mine.  She plays other "cutesey" games once in a while, but mostly just plays AC.

Also, I know where my cartridge port is, but I've never used it.  I only buy physical editions anymore if the digital edition gets delisted.  3D All-Stars is my one and only retail Switch game, but it's still shrink-wrapped.  I'll only use it if something happens to my Switch and I can't re-download the game.

I also got her to get a different color. The color she wanted (turquoise) was $20 more. So I definitely could have spent even more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Be happy your wife was satisfied with the Switch Lite.  Mine has cycled through a couple different ones.  2017 Switch (used, first one I bought) -> Switch Lite (meh) -> Animal Crossing LE (too girly) -> Current model with the better battery.  Of course, just as I finished buying/selling her discarded Switches, the Mario LE came out and I replaced mine.  She plays other "cutesey" games once in a while, but mostly just plays AC.

Also, I know where my cartridge port is, but I've never used it.  I only buy physical editions anymore if the digital edition gets delisted.  3D All-Stars is my one and only retail Switch game, but it's still shrink-wrapped.  I'll only use it if something happens to my Switch and I can't re-download the game.

I also got her to get a different color. The color she wanted (turquoise) was $20 more. So I definitely could have spent even more. 

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

Lol, I'd probably end up buying once of each color for my wife and letting her choose.  

FWIW, I'm a big fan of both Hollow Knight and Ori (though Will of the Wisps is probably the better of the two Ori games.  I recommend them both though).

8 hours ago, Eoae said:

Lol, I'd probably end up buying once of each color for my wife and letting her choose.  

If anybody local had the turquoise, we'd have spent the $$$. But nobody did and she wanted one right away. ?

As someone that pumped 200+ hours in Witcher 3 last summer, I love that game. While there are multiuple ways to build Geralt, I think going the Alchemy/Combat route was my favorite since it allowed me to have a chance with higher powered enemies at a lower level. Also, pay attention to the level of the missions, I beleive if you're more than 5 over, it will impact the XP you get by half/quarter and in main missions it can cost you since those do give out a lot of XP.

However, it wasn't until my 2nd playthrough that I actually got into it (a leshen took me out when I was way underpowered and I just got distracted with other stuff).

With the expansions, if you think about Hearts of Stone as a side story that could have happened prior to the events of the game (even with the O'Dimm sighting) and Blood and Wine as post game, then it makes sense. Also the perks in Blood and Wine can make Geralt insanely dangerous.

• Like 1

That's how I handled Hearts, since I just played it start-to-finish yesterday.  The wedding bit was frankly too long, but it was otherwise a complete hoot after hours of Grumpy Geralt stuff.

It took for-fucking-ever to get to L28 from L25 without doing main quest stuff (paused that at Isle of Mists), though, which was absolutely necessary to make any progress at all, since the enemies chewed me up otherwise.  Now I'm 35 and I suppose plenty of other things are going to be too puny at this stage, but that's fine. 

They really need to work on the jank for the next game, though, assuming there will be one.  The movement is just...it's not good.  Not that I think every game should be done in Unreal, but there are reasons such as this for that engine's popularity.  Kinda makes me wonder how Cyberpunk is in that respect, but there's no way I'm touching that until it's been out at least another year.

I actually like the movement in combat! I did change one of the settings so it's a little move reactive. But from looking at videos of Witcher 1 and 2 playthroughs their combat has always been a little clunky.

Count me in as liking combat and movement in the Witcher 3. I don't really see what the problem is. Now, Roach on the other hand, that's a different story. 

• Haha 1

I actually found the Roach controls in Witcher 3 were way better than the horse controls in Red Dead 2, though I am definitely in the minority there. The combat in Witcher 3 was not my favorite but the total package of the game makes it one of my favorites to ever play. Both DLCs are awesome too, especially Blood and Wine. It's bigger than most regular games I've played. 

My gaming goal for 2022 is not to buy any new hardware.  Since last fall, it seems like every month finds me buying a new console, tv, external storage drive, etc., or debating if I should.  I'm really hoping that I get everything I need this year and have a couple years to just play and not have to worry about new consoles, storage space, 4K tv's, etc. (I know, I'm living in a fantasy.  It's still real to me).

I think I have my Xbox squared away - at least until they start making a SSD expansion card a lot bigger than 1 tb.  Upgraded my external hdd to a 8 GB hub, so that gives me a lot of space to grow.  Planning to do something similar for PS5 once they enable the console's SSD expansions slots.  

Really hoping I can score a Switch Pro before New Year's (at this point, I'll be surprised if it isn't announced soon and released in time for Christmas) and whatever accessories I end up needing for it.

It actually would be a nice feeling to feel like I've got adequate storage for awhile and years to play the games.  I got into the PS3 and PS4 generations late and never really got caught up.  Consequently, there's still lots of older games I've never found time to play.

Just beat Witcher 3, and I LOATHE the fact that the game just empties out.  That has to be one of the most tone-deaf things I've ever seen.  Maybe they just didn't want to bother giving Yennefer et al something to do post-MQ (i.e., didn't want to write the dialogue or add the cutscenes), but it's really a worst-of-both-worlds approach.  The first time I played New Vegas, I actually didn't know the game just ended, and I kicked myself for not doing stuff sooner, and thus reloaded an old save and punched through the DLCs, which were more fun than the main game anyway.  But there's something to be said for still having things to do after the main quest as a lot of RPGs do.  This, on the other hand, feels final but also just lonely and barren.  As I was making choices about what to do with Ciri, I was sitting there thinking, "Wonder what she'll say when I visit her again?"  And, then you can't.  So dumb. 

On the other hand, maybe it'll give me an excuse to do a 'Geralt of Rickia' playthrough where I play a significant portion of the game drunk, don't get involved in anything that doesn't directly benefit me, fuck anything that moves (well, OK, did that anyway), totally get down with all of Vlodomir's antics on the dance floor, tell every sorceress that magic is dumb, and hate myself when my daughter turns out just like me.  Plus the whole Gaunter O'Dimm storyline is just Mr. Needful writ large.  Dandelion's really not going to like those megaseeds...

AT&T are spinning off most of WarnerMedia to merge with Discovery. Various games journos are reporting that WB Games will be split up, but not which pieces are going where. I hope they have the goddamn sense to (a) keep the whole classic Williams-Midway-Atari library together and (b) keep Netherrealm and Rocksteady together with DC, but I have no faith.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

AT&T are spinning off most of WarnerMedia to merge with Discovery. Various games journos are reporting that WB Games will be split up, but not which pieces are going where. I hope they have the goddamn sense to (a) keep the whole classic Williams-Midway-Atari library together and (b) keep Netherrealm and Rocksteady together with DC, but I have no faith.

Also, this will likely delay a lot of games WB Games were hoping to release (Suicide Squad, Gotham Knights and LEGO Star Wars Skywalker Saga and the rumored next NetherRealm fighting game).

This will be long winded.  From 2016- 2020 I was living in a homeless shelter. I had failed my wife and myself by being a drug addict. She left me and I had nothing. Eventually I got a job and through hard work, became a warehouse manager at a furniture store. Then Covid-19 happened. Through hard work and trying to a better man, my wife decided to take me back. Through all of that, I got back into gaming and so it came to this : 365 days straight and 1558 achievements.

Nearly 5 years clean and a year straight of gaming achievements... through the grace of God and my wife I have achieved something I never thought I could. It's a good day.

• Like 16

On 5/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, supremebve said:

I know Animal Crossing is really popular around here, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a similar game that is better and more addictive in almost every single way.  It's on Gamepass, and well worth a download. 

Thanks for the heads up. Always looking for more achievements and a good game is a great bonus.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, AaronMLuke said:

This will be long winded.  From 2016- 2020 I was living in a homeless shelter. I had failed my wife and myself by being a drug addict. She left me and I had nothing. Eventually I got a job and through hard work, became a warehouse manager at a furniture store. Then Covid-19 happened. Through hard work and trying to a better man, my wife decided to take me back. Through all of that, I got back into gaming and so it came to this : 365 days straight and 1558 achievements.

Nearly 5 years clean and a year straight of gaming achievements... through the grace of God and my wife I have achieved something I never thought I could. It's a good day.

Congrats on the sobriety.  I'm in recovery myself and know how tough it can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:45 PM, AaronMLuke said:

That wasn't long-winded but it WAS awesome.  Kudos on the hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:45 AM, AaronMLuke said:

I am so proud of you, man.  Keep on gaming and stay in touch.  Message a homie when you see me online.

• Thanks 1

I downloaded Minecraft onto my laptop yesterday and started playing it for the first time.

I'm pretty sure I'm never going to get any actual work done at work for a long time ...

Edited by CSC

Beat RIME today on PS4 and the story is so vague, you have no clue about the themes until after you beat the game. It's essentially Journey but on an island.

Spoiler

The character you play has been dead the whole time.

Got 8 trophies left before I get the Platinum.