DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

14 hours ago, AxB said:

It's odd how quite a lot of companies seem to enjoy making the same game over and over. Like arguably The Last of Us 1+2 are basically Uncharted (Grim edition). Arguably Deus Ex, Just Cause and Sleeping Dogs are the same game reskinned and adapted to the setting. Arguably Bully and Red Dead Redemption are just GTA Pushbike and Horse edition.

How the hell are Deus Ex, Just Cause, and Sleeping Dogs alike outside of being Video games?  

And yeah, in what world are TLoU and Uncharted any kinds of similar?  

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

I guess he means control setup and engine, but, as John pointed out, who doesn't recycle those?

The From Software Game is especially egregious, on the other hand, as the First version and the Second version *open almost exactly the same way*.  In one, you're supposed to die to the first boss, in the other, you're supposed to beat it.  That's it, that's the extent of meaningful differences for the first, what, several hours?

And I would have killed for a battle prompt for learning better timing, especially with the importance of the parry.  I don't want to read a goddamn shoulder twist that's 4 pixels wide to get the hang of that.  Put "CHEEZEY BOI" after my character name in online mode; I don't care.  But Jesus, has that really been too much to ask for the last 10 years and 5 versions of their game?  Apparently, because only dickstabbers need apply.

Microsoft added 74 titles to the list of Xbox One games that now support FPS Boost (basically increases the frame rate to 60 or 120 fps).  List of supported titles now stands at 97.  More titles to be announced soon.

Full list of titles and specifics can be found here

Between B/C and boost, I'm far more interested in Xbox than PS these days.

16 hours ago, Eoae said:

I spent almost two hours in the same section this morning.  Generally, "levels" take 1-2 hours.

On the whole, I think it's an exceptional game.

Yeah, that's enough to make me pass on it. I'm glad it's exceptional, but I don't have the bandwidth to fuck around with levels that take 1 to 2 hours where you can fuck up an hour+ into it, die, and have to restart the whole thing over.

• Like 1

As this seems to be one of the more popular video games web sites here: it seems as if most of the senior staff of Giantbomb have given their notice and will leave the site this week.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

As this seems to be one of the more popular video games web sites here: it seems as if most of the senior staff of Giantbomb have given their notice and will leave the site this week.

I was coming to post this as well. It seems like the Red Ventures purchase has scared a lot of people off.

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

It feels like it's the final bombcast and the site is shutting down despite what Jeff Gerstmann is saying.

28 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

It feels like it's the final bombcast and the site is shutting down despite what Jeff Gerstmann is saying.

It's a shame. When that site is clicking, it's some really good content. Hitsmas is still one of my favorite things ever. 

I played Donut County today.

Didn't realize I would end up 100% it in less than 2 hours.

Helped scratch the Katamari itch I have... at least a little

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I played Donut County today.

Didn't realize I would end up 100% it in less than 2 hours.

Helped scratch the Katamari itch I have... at least a little

Yeah, Donut County is very popular with gamescore hunters and people who need achievements for Microsoft Rewards challenges.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, supremebve said:

So my TV died, so I had to buy a top of the line, 65", 4K, LG OLED CX, to replace it...woe is me.

I can relate.  Microsoft forced me to go to Best Buy today and pick up a 4K tv that can handle 120 frames per second.  My life is hard.  So very, very hard.

If the wife asks about the credit card charge, I'm planning to fake cry and tearfully confess that I have a monkey on my back and his name is Phil Spencer.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I can relate.  Microsoft forced me to go to Best Buy today and pick up a 4K tv that can handle 120 frames per second.  My life is hard.  So very, very hard.

If the wife asks about the credit card charge, I'm planning to fake cry and tearfully confess that I have a monkey on my back and his name is Phil Spencer.

Yeah, about that...

So, I got my TV delivered last Monday, and it was everything ever dreamed of...until this morning.  I tried to turn on the TV to distract me from work, like a true American hero, and the screen flashed a blue vertical line and turned right back off.  So, I contact Best Buy, and they tell me I can exchange it...if I bring it in.  I don't know if you know how big a 65" TV box is, but I drive an Acura and there isn't a chance in hell it was going to fit.  I had to rent a uhaul van to take it back, except the closest uhaul place to me is closed for the rest of the month...how the fuck?  So I have to go to the next closest one, which is about 8 miles away.  So instead of going to the uhaul place that is 2 miles away from my house, and back to best buy which is less than a mile and a half from my house and back to the uhaul place which is less than a mile from Best Buy...I put in 23 miles total. So the $19.99 rental ended up being over $50 total after all the stupid fees.  Oh, did I mention there was thunder, lightning and hail?  No, well there was...and it sucked.  They also didn't have the TV for exchange, so they'll deliver it to my house on Friday.  Not the bet day.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Good man.  It is always better to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, Donut County is very popular with gamescore hunters and people who need achievements for Microsoft Rewards challenges.

The soundtrack is totally underrated though. Quite a few tracks have late '70s synths and acoustic instruments.

I got the Platinum (twice) for it and even bought it on Switch - since there never will be a Vita version.

Regarding Giant Bomb, I'm pretty heartbroken. It's now basically Jeff, Jan, Rorie, Jason, and what's his name from Giant Bomb and now NoClip. I'm not going to lie, things really started to feel like they were falling apart when Ryan died. They bring on Patrick and then Patrick eventually leaves followed by Drew Scanlon. It's then been something of a slowly revolving door since. As much as Dan annoyed me, I felt like there was some stability with having Jeff, Dan, Vinny, Brad, and Alex.

And then they formed Giant Bomb East, which felt like they were really stretching themselves thin, but they had the money, they had the CBSi office space, Ben and others came on board, but then it was the same revolving door until CBS laid off a bunch of staff across their multimedia ventures. THAT felt like another nail in the coffin.

All of these guys have been a part of my life since, shit, I was in my 20s? I'm 40 now. I followed many of them at GameSpot, rallied behind Jeff with the bullshit at GameSpot with that Kane and Lynch game, followed him to the "thing" right before they founded Giant Bomb, and have been a dedicated Giant Bomb reader and Bombcast listener from the start. I don't think Giant Bomb is dead, but losing the rest of the original crew hurts and it's just not going to be the same anymore. The other problem with the site is that it's just fucking hard to find and hire people for this work in San Fran/Petaluma especially when the main source of growth is to build a name for yourself to move on elsewhere.

Funnily enough, Jeff has another kid due at the same time my second kid is due and we're both old as fuck. Makes me feel pretty comfortable jumping into another child when others in their 40s do the same. Although, with this second kid on the way, he may just want to think about getting out of San Fran or even California altogether. I think his first kid has respiratory issues and he or his wife may as well. The constant wildfires aren't good for them and neither is the hiring market. I also don't think they want to move out to the midwest so who knows.

I'm very curious to see where Brad, Vinny, and Alex go from here. I'm very curious to see what Giant Bomb turns into from here. It definitely feels like both the end of an era and just getting old. Sucks.

• Sad 1

Microsoft's FPS boost is probably going to turn me into a framerate snob.

Really anticipating seeing it patched into games like Bayonetta, Sekiro, DMC: Devil May Cry, etc.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, Raziel said:

How the hell are Deus Ex, Just Cause, and Sleeping Dogs alike outside of being Video games?  

And yeah, in what world are TLoU and Uncharted any kinds of similar?  

Other than Just Cause and Sleeping Dogs being sandbox games, I am not terribly sure how all three of those games are terribly similar.

36 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Other than Just Cause and Sleeping Dogs being sandbox games, I am not terribly sure how all three of those games are terribly similar.

The only thing I can come up with is what AxB paired together is stuff by the same publisher.  But looking in, the Squeenix games aren't the same dev houses and the Naughty Dog stuff doesn't use the same engine, so yeah, I'm still confused.

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Back to Giant Bomb real quick, anyone know of any similar websites or podcasts out there?

I try to listen to Major Nelson every now and then, but it is annoyingly XBox fanboyish at time and this is coming from an XBox fanboy.

I've heard good things about the My Brother, My Brother, & Me podcast as well as Idle Thumbs and Tell 'Em Steve Dave, but the Bombcast was on a different plane.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I try to listen to Major Nelson every now and then, but it is annoyingly XBox fanboyish at time and this is coming from an XBox fanboy.

I've heard good things about the My Brother, My Brother, & Me podcast as well as Idle Thumbs and Tell 'Em Steve Dave, but the Bombcast was on a different plane.

Thanks. Yeah, I also heard good things about Idle Thumbs, but I believe it's dead now. Tell Em Steve Dave was something I used to listen to, but like many things Kevin Smith, I basically shed it as my interests moved into other stuff and those guys are all miserable NJ Devils fans. My Brother, My Brother, and Me is another I heard good things about too and I don't think it's dead yet. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

I'm also shocked to learn Major Nelson is still going. He was someone I listened to long before podcasts blew up. We're talking in the days where podcasts were basically limited to Smodcast, This American Life, and some others. Another way to put that era is when you would tell someone you listened to podcasts and the response to that would be, "what the hell is a podcast? You mean like the radio?"

44 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Another way to put that era is when you would tell someone you listened to podcasts and the response to that would be, "what the hell is a podcast? You mean like the radio?"

This response is still very common now

20 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

It's probably dangerous to try to read between lines if the lines come from professional podcasters on a podcast, but to me it seems as if Red Ventures wants to change a lot conceptionally or whatever and at least Brad Shoemaker and Vinny Caravella did not like that direction. Every time Jeff Gerstmann began talking about the future or new opportunities due to Red Ventures (without saying that name, of course), Brad and Vinny became completely stonefaced. Alex Navarro either was better in hiding his feelings, or him leaving was more the result of the other two leaving.

Of course it could also be as simple as a money dispute over salaries.

I have to admit, I only within the last half year began listening regularly to their podcasts. Before I only tuned in every now and then, usually to watch their coverage of E3 or similar. But the appeal of their content is something, you probably won't find in a lot of other places.