DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

When I got mine from Walmart they said I had to be at the house to sign for it.  Then they dropped it off on the doorstep without even ringing the bell. We lost 40 pounds of cat litter off the front porch right about that same time, but the Xbox stayed put.

My apartment complex definitely has a theft problem with people stealing packages off doorsteps.

That being said we have never had a problem because we are on the 4th floor and the thieves around here only hit the first floor. Lazy out of shape bastards

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I took no chances.  When I ordered my S/X during the Best Buy drop on Cyber Monday, I picked the store in Mechanicsville as my pick up point.  I had to drive all the way across town to get my junk, but it was worth it.

I'm glad my kid wasn't in the car because I passed the Adam & Eve store and didn't really want to explain why their parking lot was full of people.  "Well, you see.  Spouses have been cooped up with each other for a long time now and...."

There was still the possibility of a rogue employee snatching my system, but it was arguably less likely than a porch pirate stealing packages from my house just because something might be valuable inside.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - that would have been my preference - but since this is the All Access bundle, shipping was the only option

I'm shocked you actually got an All Access bundle. That's like finding a unicorn. Every time I see the Series X available it's without that option.

Since there's no help in the game I decided to watch a video on Pac-Man 99.

After watching a tips video and a video of John Riggs sitting in corners, I won my first game last night. 

Hopefully one of my all-time favorites will get this treatment and we'll see Redneck Rampage 99 at some point. ?

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I took no chances.  When I ordered my S/X during the Best Buy drop on Cyber Monday, I picked the store in Mechanicsville as my pick up point.  I had to drive all the way across town to get my junk, but it was worth it.

I'm glad my kid wasn't in the car because I passed the Adam & Eve store and didn't really want to explain why their parking lot was full of people.  "Well, you see.  Spouses have been cooped up with each other for a long time now and...."

There was still the possibility of a rogue employee snatching my system, but it was arguably less likely than a porch pirate stealing packages from my house just because something might be valuable inside.

That's what I wound up doing when I got my PS5 from Target. They don't even give you the option to have it shipped. . .you have to go to the store and get it.

I used the Target app for the first time when I picked it up and it asks you where you'd like the employee that brings it out to your car to place it (driver's seat, passenger's seat, back, etc.), so I put driver's seat. When the kid came out and asked if I wanted him to put it in the back of my truck I was like, "No, you can hand that sumbitch directly to me, thanks."

Was taking absolutely no chances. I don't even usually do the curbside pickup thing, but this time I wanted to make sure everything went smooth.

• Like 3

So I'm beginning to love my Xbox Series X, which is odd because the Series X catalog thus far is not really doing much for me.  PS5 is sorta earning it's keep with some noteworthy exclusives (Miles Morales, Pathless, early talk about Returnal has been good).  Series X has... um, Falconeer.  Call of the Sea (which is coming to PlayStation in April or May).

But.... I really like the console from a hardware perspective.  And I'm having a blast with the backwards compatibility.  I didn't own an Xbox One until I bought the Minecraft LE earlier this month.  So the XOne catalog is sorta new to me.  The AAA titles are cool, but I'm having a lot of fun with some of the under-the-radar releases like Voodoo Vince Remastered and Welcome to Elk.

But... the best thing so far about my Series X is that it's (almost) the best possible X360 console.  I wish more titles were backwards compatible but, between nearly 600 b/c title and alll the other games that were remade, remastered, ported, or just released on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One, most people are going to have a huge 360 library at their fingertips.  And. so far, every b/c title I've tried runs almost flawlessly.  i generally prefer to play games on the hardware they were intended for, but it's sorta dumb not to take advantage of the hefty performance upgrades the Series X offers.

MIcrosoft is supposedly working on making more old titles backwards compatible.  i don't expect to get my wishlist (El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Ninja Blade, the Cave shooters which were mostly never released in the US, a few others), but I appreciate the effort, even if little comes of it.

Edited by Eoae

The catalogue is a bit thin, but who just uses their console for gaming these days?  99% of the time, I am using my console for streaming and occasionally I will indulge in my latest game obsession.  

I think I was impressed by how well the S/X made shitty Cyberpunk 2077 halfway playable.  I think that was the testament by how beefy the hardware specs are, and I am looking forward to playing more games that are not quite as broken.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I was impressed by how well the S/X made shitty Cyberpunk 2077 halfway playable.  I think that was the testament by how beefy the hardware specs are, and I am looking forward to playing more games that are not quite as broken.

Fallout 4 definitely crashes a lot less often on Series X than it did on Xbox One.

Of course, you can't save at arbitrary points in Survival Mode anymore, so you take the good with the bad I guess.

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

The catalogue is a bit thin, but who just uses their console for gaming these days? 

Um, me.  I almost never use gaming consoles for streaming, blu rays, internet browsing, etc.  Probably something like 1% of the time, if that.  I have other devices for those activities, and figure it will cost me less to replace a blu ray player than an Xbox Series X so why put more wear and tear on the gaming console.

It probably has something to do with age.  I'm not ancient, but I'm nearing 50 and have been kinda slow to embrace downloading games, join the streaming revolution, etc.  I grew up with gaming consoles that were just gaming consoles and tend not to even think of my PS4 and Xbox as multi-media devices.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eoae said:

Um, me.  I almost never use gaming consoles for streaming, blu rays, internet browsing, etc.  Probably something like 1% of the time, if that.  I have other devices for those activities, and figure it will cost me less to replace a blu ray player than an Xbox Series X so why put more wear and tear on the gaming console.

It probably has something to do with age.  I'm not ancient, but I'm nearing 50 and have been kinda slow to embrace downloading games, join the streaming revolution, etc.  I grew up with gaming consoles that were just gaming consoles and tend not to even think of my PS4 and Xbox as multi-media devices.

I'm also ancient (less ancient then you of course), but my game console is also just for gaming. I have a "smart TV' that has apps and stuff for streaming, so my consoles are just for gaming. I would never spend over $1,000 on three consoles just to have overly expensive streaming boxes.

That being said, I love the XBox for Game Pass. I buy games almost strictly on the PS5 but the Game Pass catalog is so impressive I probably spend 75% of my gaming time on it. I tend to only use my PS5 and Switch for exclusives or AAA titles not on Game Pass. Its a good balance.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:12 PM, Eoae said:

I used to use my PS4 as my primary platform for the WWE Network, but now that its moved to Peacock I can just use my Vizio Smart TV for it. So, at this point, I don't really use my console for anything but gaming anymore, either.

I only recently got into downloading games. Earlier this year I went to a bunch of stores here that are close to me looking for a copy of Ghost of Tsushima when it came out and nobody had one so I just said to hell with it and downloaded it. I got a 4 TB USB drive to help facilitate that. I've downloaded a couple of others since then. I did get the disc edition of the PS5 just so that I can get the PS4 games I have onto it, particularly those that offer free upgrades to the PS5 version, but I'll probably download a lot more of my library going forward.

If I didn't have a smart TV, I'd be using the media tab on the PS5 a lot more. But, man, I just can't comprehend wanting to have more clutter in your entertainment area. A gaming console (or multiple), a streaming device, a cable box, blu-ray player, etc etc. If I can have a console that can do all of that, just seems natural to go that route. And the Series S kind of nullifies the need for multiple retro consoles hooked up, if you're into RetroArch and whatnot.

Well my machine arrived in Hagerstown this afternoon and FedEx claims it will be delivered tomorrow.

I should run a pool on how long it takes just to download system updates and Destiny 2

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Well my machine arrived in Hagerstown this afternoon and FedEx claims it will be delivered tomorrow.

I should run a pool on how long it takes just to download system updates and Destiny 2

I hope you have fiber optic.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It'll be done by the end of the NFL Draft.

In 2022.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It honestly didn't take me that long, as long as you remember that the system caps download speeds if you are streaming or playing games.  My advice, plug it in set it up to download everything you want downloaded, and leave the fucking room.  If you keep fucking with it or trying to stream or play the app/games that are already installed, you are just delaying everything else from downloading.

• Like 2

I'm mostly bewildered by people who can't leave their game consoles alone long enough for system updates to install or games to download.  I don't remember ever being so eager to play that I couldn't do something else for a couple of minutes or an hour while the console does its thing.  Like supremebve said, even if said console lets you play a game or stream something else while it downloads and installs, it's just going to drain resources and slow down the process.  

Edited by Eoae
I really need to start proofreading before I post.

Well that's not an issue for me as I never try to run things while downloads are happening.

I mean I am always entertained why my system tries to tell me a game is ready to play after 10% has downloaded. I don't believe your lies.

Anyway - I was already planning on using the time to catch up on whatever the fuck might still be left on my DVR. And reading up on what I need to do to get Game Pass set up.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, Eoae said:

What wear and tear?  It's a console, not an automobile.  Unless you're just plain old abusing your box or leaving it on for weeks on end, your console shouldn't see much more system time while gaming than you do while using apps or streaming.

Since you are an avid gamer, I'd be more concerned about the wear and tear you're putting on your controllers rather than worrying about the console.  Peripheral devices are far more subject to untimely replacement than consoles.

I am also somewhat paranoid about the lifecycle of my console and this is why I purchased a warranty.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:59 AM, RIPPA said:

I am giggling at the fact that you two are talking about being ancient when the person who posed the original statement is older than both of you.

Yes, between Kevin, Eoae, and myself, I did not expect for me to be the anti-Luddite.

Edited by J.T.

I don't consider myself a luddite, exactly.  Though it is worth noting that we still get discs in the mail from Netflix/DVD.com (in addition to the streaming plan), so maybe I resemble that remark.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I don't consider myself a luddite, exactly.  

Luddite is a relative term.  I am a computer security professional with several certifications who can put most secured systems through the wringer and yet I barely know one end of the smart phone from the other.

I am a constant source of embarrassment to my 18 year old daughter.

As for my earlier comments, I forgot to caveat them with the fact that you are the consumer and have the right to use your purchase as you see fit.  The idea that you may or may not be using the console to its fullest potential is moot.  If you're enjoying your gaming, the console works as advertised.

Edited by J.T.