DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Fuck, I got the plat in HZD but would love to do the new game+ as well as DLC. Right now though I'm finally getting through God Of War with the PS5 patch and man, what a great game. PS4 has such a solid library that I've got zero issue with the lack of games for the new system right now, as being able to play older games patched up is a great problem to have. 

After trying out AC: Valhalla for a bit, I decided it wasn't for me and went over to playing Ghosts of Tsushima. Holy shit. This game is fucking gorgeous.

UNFORTUNATELY, after the first little bit of the game where I thought I was fucking awesome at combat, I discovered I am terrible at combat. Combat when you have two archers firing on you plus 5 or 6 dudes with swords and shields all trying to fuck you up is really, really, really tough. Same shit happens when I come across caravans of enemies on main roads. I get the prompt to duel or challenge someone, I win that, and then the rest of their group gangs up on me and quickly kills me. The game even asked me if I wanted to bump the difficulty down, which felt embarrassing.

I'm going to keep playing it though because it plays really well and I'm somewhat into the storyline even if I think the main character is a bit of a weenie.

For GoT,  it's rough going early until you figure out the ins and outs of combat.  The biggest trick is getting the stances unlocked and knowing what to use against what.

• Like 1

Even after all these years, I'm terrible at games.  Dunno why I don't just start most games on the easiest setting.  Really, all I usually care about is advancing through the story.  Never been a grinder, completist, or trophy hunter.

Question: I was looking at the Sony Play at Home promotion today.  How long are we allowed to keep access to the free games in the promotion?  Four months?  Indefinitely?  I'm mildly interested in a couple of the free games included in the promotion, but I probably won't bother if Sony is going to yank the license when the promotion ends.  I'm assuming that, once I download them, I'll be able to keep access for as long as the PS Network and my PS4 last.  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

For GoT,  it's rough going early until you figure out the ins and outs of combat.  The biggest trick is getting the stances unlocked and knowing what to use against what.

Right now, I primarily stick with the water stance since enemies with shields are the ones I have the most trouble with. And I have put all of my points into the parry tree. I'm 2 points away from finishing that and I only just found Yuna's brother and he's the first of the 5 people I need to find. I can't tell if that's good or not. 

I have mainly been wandering around, getting into fights and adventures, finding fox shrines and hot springs, and not sticking to the main quest. I just find this game world to be really peaceful and beautiful. When you're not fighting, it's maybe the most chill and pleasant to be in open worlds that I've played. 

• Like 2

I am enjoying how DQ XI is punishing my hero for not leaving well enough alone and the game has nearly come full circle with the opening cutscene.  Who knew?  What a great story!

I still plan to put this new BBEG in the dirt, though.  

Now I have to go through the horror of leveling up my entire team all over again.  I picked a fight with a Malicious Black Dragon and totally forgot that Jade does not have Lighting Thrust anymore.  It will be a bit before the unit is once again ready to start challenging the bosses in the Tockle timeline missions.

.... Well now.  All you have to do is keep playing and your team gets power leveled!   And now I have a metric fuckton of new side quests which does nothing for my OCD....   ONWARD~!

Edited by J.T.

Hey, and now I have a master key thingie!  I will have to cheat because there is no way I am going to remember the locations all of the master locked doors and cages I have passed by off the top of my old man's memory.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have ONE time trial left for the Hunting Lodges, and good fucking god - FUCK this Shell-Walker challenge. I cannot, for the life of me, loot 4 of their containers within 1:30 or whatever it is. This is literally the only trophy I have left to get the platinum. I spent like an hour last night trying to do it, and I'll get three containers looted, and then the machine picks up the fourth, and I get swarmed by Stalkers and Watchers and the remaining Shell-Walkers, and yeah.

Fuuuuuuck.

• Like 1

Reading some of this thread has reminded me I need to give DQ11 another try. For some reason I have never been able to get into the series like I have with the FF series and other RPGs. I thought 11 would be the perfect start, but petty as it may sound, after a few hours in the overworld I found the music really lacking, with short loops that started to drive me crazy and I just gave up on it. Apparently they changed that in the Switch version, so I wonder if I’d like it more now, as the Switch’s pick up and play style lends itself more to long JRPGs. Part of me would rather just play Octopath Traveller first though, it seems much more pleasing to me aesthetically.

Just beat the RE2 Remake, at least Leon’s scenario, and I enjoyed it, but found it underwhelming in some ways. As I said in a previous post, I feel like the Soulsborne binge I’ve been on has really warped my sensibilities and now every boss fight feels underwhelming in other games. I also personally hate the chase mechanic of the tyrant, it made the game stressful in a way I don’t enjoy. It is survival horror after all, so I totally get why people would like it tho. And just like RE7, I was so obsessed with conserving resources and was left with so much extra by the end I wish I had played the game less conservatively. Especially in the police station where save points are so close together and healing items are limited, I found myself reloading my saves and redoing a part to save on a little damage so often that it took me out of the experience. But overall I had fun. It left me wanting to play the original RE and RE2 tho. Those games are perfectly imperfect to me. I never completed 3, as it had the Nemesis chase mechanic, which again I hate, but I’ll give the remake a shot soon as well.

So, yeah, the limited edition Minecraft Xbox One console looks tremendous close up.  Even the packaging (the small boxes the controllers, cords, and paperwork come in) is appealing.  May well be my favorite le console.  After seeing it in person, decided to order the pink "pig" controller which was part of the promotion but sold separately and sets you back a good bit on eBay ($90-$100 for a used one, $150 plus for new in box).

Got sidetracked and ended up playing Rain on Your Parade over the weekend.  Highly recommended if you like whimsical indie games like Donut County and Untitled Goose Game.  Basically, you play as a cartoon cloud who goes around raining on shoppers, wedding guests, farmers, etc.  The early levels reminded me of Untitled Goose Game in that you basically just need to rain on people and create some good-natured mayhem to complete levels.  Later levels get more creative and complicated and bring in other variables.  Lot of callbacks to other games.  There's a tornado level inspired by Katamari Darmacy, a stealth level modeled on Metal Gear Solid (?), an old-school Doom level (??), etc.  Overall, it's a lot of fun and the level design is surprisingly varied so things never get dull.

So... umm... I am not gonna believe it till it shows up on my door step but...

I GOT A MOTHERFUCKING XBOX SERIES X

Just got it via the All Access restock via Gamestop

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So... umm... I am not gonna believe it till it shows up on my door step but...

I GOT A MOTHERFUCKING XBOX SERIES X

Just got it via the All Access restock via Gamestop

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY~!

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Well - again - it is being shipped and if you don't think I am positive someone won't swipe it from my doorstep...

I'm not sure how they're handling it, but my PS5 was purchased from Sony Direct. I had to physically sign for it at my door to get it. I would hope any other retailer shipping something that expensive would require the same thing.

This is Gamestop - I am gonna be lucky if it is in a box

(At least one of us is home at all times right now - so if they need a signature they could get it)