DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Well, I'm back in Arboria.  The makers of DQ XI really do want me to get into my car and drive off of a bridge into the James River.

Just when it got nearly got too depressing to bear...

Spoiler

I'M THE PROUD PILOT OF A FLYING WHITE WHALE~!  FUCK YEAH~!!!

I thought my PS3 collector's panic was waning but now there's news that some games' patches have been deleted. I switched out my Slim to a Super Slim about 2 years ago so now I've gotta go through the entire collection and download every update. I didn't think this was going to be an issue since the patches aren't downloaded through the PSN, but apparently my 1 dollar copy of The Beatles: Rock Band is on the patchless list so shit's real now. This is A) bullshit B) a fun little project. I've been collecting so heavily over the last five years waiting for things like this to happen so there's a lot I own that I haven't played, but popping every game into the PS3 has given me an excuse to watch everything's intro cinematic. Drakengard 3 looks like a hoot! The s/o saw the opening to Atelier Ayesha and I guess that's gonna be a thing now.

Going through this makes me realize how futile physical collecting is for PS4 or any other system who's games have gigantic Day One patches. We always knew it would be like this, but man, it still sucks. Are there any PS3 games that really need their patches to be playable? I might prioritize tracking down the good ones that are significantly less playable without an update - I popped in the Silent Hill HD Collection (shut up, fanboys) and definitely had the sense that the game would be worthless if not for the patch.

51 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I thought my PS3 collector's panic was waning but now there's news that some games' patches have been deleted. I switched out my Slim to a Super Slim about 2 years ago so now I've gotta go through the entire collection and download every update. I didn't think this was going to be an issue since the patches aren't downloaded through the PSN, but apparently my 1 dollar copy of The Beatles: Rock Band is on the patchless list so shit's real now. This is A) bullshit B) a fun little project. I've been collecting so heavily over the last five years waiting for things like this to happen so there's a lot I own that I haven't played, but popping every game into the PS3 has given me an excuse to watch everything's intro cinematic. Drakengard 3 looks like a hoot! The s/o saw the opening to Atelier Ayesha and I guess that's gonna be a thing now.

Going through this makes me realize how futile physical collecting is for PS4 or any other system who's games have gigantic Day One patches. We always knew it would be like this, but man, it still sucks. Are there any PS3 games that really need their patches to be playable? I might prioritize tracking down the good ones that are significantly less playable without an update - I popped in the Silent Hill HD Collection (shut up, fanboys) and definitely had the sense that the game would be worthless if not for the patch.

There are few that need patches to be playable:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - If it has the patch installed, it's able to recognize the downloadable DLC (Reverie/Resurrection) in the game.

Zone of the Enders HD Collection - Without the patch, both games are close to unplayable and sub 10fps.

I own Silent Hill HD Collection because I'm likely insane.

32 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

There are few that need patches to be playable:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - If it has the patch installed, it's able to recognize the downloadable DLC (Reverie/Resurrection) in the game.

Well shit. That's one of the games on the de-patched list. Good reviews, generation exclusive, I don't own it. Does the patch just affect the DLC? Because I heard the DLC was some kind of terrible.

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Going through this makes me realize how futile physical collecting is for PS4 or any other system who's games have gigantic Day One patches.

The day I realized this was the day I stopped buying physical editions and collectible editions and just went digital.  Very few games ever end up with patches and dlc on a disc and the percentage of games that get day one patches and then multiple patches afterwards.  Buying discs may make you less dependent on digital, but you're not getting away from it entirely.

The PS3 patch issue is concerning, but I don't have a lot of faith in Sony anyway.  Even before they announced the store closure, I decided that the PS3 hdd was basically going to be for exclusives.  All multi-platform releases = Xbox, even if the game isn't backwards compatible with Xbox One.  I've spent a fair bit on the PS3 store lately, but I know it may end up being wasted money so I'm not going to panick over it.  Hopefully, I keep access to my digital games for a long time to come, but I won't be surprised to get up one day and discover something has gone wrong.  The really important stuff (to me) is available in a physical edition or another console.  There are some digital exclusives I'd hate to lose access to, but there are far more games out there than I'll ever have to time to play. so whatever happens happens.  I'll be annoyed for awhile when some of those titles disappear, but I'll get over it.

Edited by Eoae

12 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Well shit. That's one of the games on the de-patched list. Good reviews, generation exclusive, I don't own it. Does the patch just affect the DLC? Because I heard the DLC was some kind of terrible.

Fortunately, a lot of the de-patched games are receiving their patches again.

The patch just affects the DLC.

Oh and I forgot:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - The patch is needed for not just trophy support but to prevent it from installing the game after every chapter. It'll take longer for the install, but it's worth it.

Gran Turismo 5 & 6 - Very lengthy patch download (like 27  updates to download each) but very necessary. GT6 and its patching adds the Ayron Senna DLC trophies and overall performance improvements for both games.

Borderlands 1 & 2 - As far as I'm aware, the patching improves a lot of the glitches encountered.

Hitman Absolution - Patching is needed because otherwise your save will be corrupted (servers are shutdown though).

Edited by Andrew POE!

Whomever came up with DQ XI monster abilities needs to be punched in the dick.

So yeah, I just ran into a boss monster in a Tockle's mission that could fucking summon lightning that not only did a disturbing amount of damage to the entire party, it also had a good chance to lower your lightning resistance, AND could also paralyze you.  Some boss monsters can attack two or three times in a row, so there is a good chance this asshole will hit you with this attack two times in a row.  Having the entire party either paralyzed, on death's door, or both is not fun.

We were sooooo close to getting wiped out.  Debuffs and status ailments in this game are no joke.

Go fuck yourself, developer dude.

DQ XI is the greatest game.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

Finally tied a bow on DQXI and finished the last of what I wanted to. I’m left with two achievements still locked. One of them is for getting all the others. The other is for getting all the costumes for every character. I’m two short, but they’re gated behind stuff I don’t want to do. 125 hours phenomenally well spent. 

Started Immortals. It sure is an Ubisoft open world game. I say that will fondness, though, as that’s a playground I still like to visit. This has more of a sense of humor (and maybe even whimsy) than the AC And Watch Dog franchises do. For better and worse. 

• Like 1

There's a lot of hyperbolic phrases in game reviews that I'm tired of hearing. But Dragon Quest XI earns every damn phoneme in a pair of words like "Fully Realized". 

The first Dragon Quest jettisoned the trillion-dollar generating JRPG industry (this is not bullshit, Pokemon is the highest-grossing media franchise in human history) from its outstretched hips in 198-fuckin'-6 and every idea that every person in that genre-cum-industry has ever realized started from that bedrock. Too many reasons to count as to why the series was ignored by Western JRPG players in the post-FFVII boom years but DQXI really brought things full circle.

It's crazy that a franchise that should be so old and tired got its mojo back so hard. But that's just proof positive of Dragon Quest XI's all time pound-for-pound genius. The fact that it manages to achieve what it does in such a conservative framework is even crazier. The fact that it manages to unify 35 years of good idea into such a singularly cohesive, natural, complete package is astounding. I don't know if it's the best Dragon Quest ever but it's certainly one of the best 10 JRPGs I've ever played and I'm a man who keeps those sort of lists.

Which is to say I'm tickled that people on this board dig the game. Check out Dragon Quest III on the Gameboy Color if you grew up on Pokemon G/S and actually want to play the outright best JRPG on that console. Check out DQ IV and especially V if you really dug the throwback 16-bit mode in DQXI. My favorite Dragon Quest might be IX on DS because of the added difficulty and almost MMORPG-level sidequest and postgame systems. And this might invalidate my entire rant but I'm halfway done with DQVIII on 3DS and it's a joy through-and-through, I look forward to completing it and understanding why it's the consensus best game in the series.

• Like 2

Playing Dead Space.  Forgot how great this series is (1 & 2 anyway).  Not a huge shooter fan, but, every so often, I play Dead Space or Halo and remind myself that the 360 had some pretty great shooters (and the PS3 had Resistance and Killzone trilogies as exclusives).

In the age of remasters, I'm surprised Dead Space hasn't gotten remastered, at least as a collection.  That and LittleBigPlanet are the franchises I really want remastered.  Hell, maybe throw Gears of War in there too (Gears 1 go an ultimate edition; 2 and 3 did not).  I sort of admire Microsoft's restraint.  If Halo and Gears were Sony titles, we'd  be making the same jokes we make about Bethesda games.

13 hours ago, Shane said:

Finally tied a bow on DQXI and finished the last of what I wanted to. I’m left with two achievements still locked. One of them is for getting all the others. The other is for getting all the costumes for every character. I’m two short, but they’re gated behind stuff I don’t want to do. 125 hours phenomenally well spent.

I am about 100 hours in and am about to fight the big bad who has tormented me this far. 

I figured that since there are still some inaccessible locked areas, there had to be some sort of post game and I'll get some master key thingie after I put this evil demon asshole in the dirt.

I've got about two weeks to wrap this up before Mass Effect: LE comes out so I will do my best to platinum the game, but I'll settle for a win against the final BBEG and maybe revisit the game later on.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And this might invalidate my entire rant but I'm halfway done with DQVIII on 3DS and it's a joy through-and-through, I look forward to completing it and understanding why it's the consensus best game in the series.

I would have pegged VIII as my favorite until I played XI.

I have a copy of IX sitting around somewhere. I bought it maybe two years ago, for some sort of family trip where I was expecting to *not* be very sociable, but I think I ended up playing Bravely Default instead. I should dig it out.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I've got about two weeks to wrap this up before Mass Effect: LE comes out so I will do my best to platinum the game, but I'll settle for a win against the final BBEG and maybe revisit the game later on.

I'd say that it depends on your levels. I had to do very little grinding at that point, because I'd done already done a lot of it earlier. The only non-boss battles I did were for various crafting materials.

Does anyone use the ESPN app on the PS5? I tried watching volleyball games yesterday and every time it went to commercial the video would freeze when it was time to come back to live action and then crash after a minute.

Holy fuck, DQ XI, how trope filled can you possibly be?  I feel it will take at least 20 game hours just to reach the BBEG's throne room.  I must've climbed a million staircases so far.   God only knows how long the boss fight will be.

I think I will tap out to watch Nobody and kill this mother fucker tomorrow.

Edited by J.T.

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm rooting for you, @J.T.

I logged back on long enough to finish the Meteorite Bracelet puzzle and now I have full access of the entire tower.  I will beat the crap out of the BBEG tomorrow morning after breakfast and then do some yardwork.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Holy fuck, DQ XI, how trope filled can you possibly be?  I feel it will take at least 20 game hours just to reach the BBEG's throne room.  I must've climbed a million staircases so far.   God only knows how long the boss fight will be.

I think I will tap out to watch Nobody and kill this mother fucker tomorrow.

Oh. You're at that part. Yeah I wouldn't, uh...

How do I not get spoiler-y here...

You've actually got until May 14th to worry about that Mass Effect remake. So that's good.

• Haha 2

THE WORLD TREE IS RENEWED~!  FUCK YOU, EVIL DEMON GUY~!

Hey, what?  Get away from that, you stupid Tockle~!

Oh, shit.....

TO THE POST-GAME~!  

later on after I cut the grass.  I am emotionally spent.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've gotten back into Horizon Zero Dawn, because I really want to platinum that game. Fuck time trials at the Hunting Lodges, ugh. Especially the one with the tripwire objectives.

• Like 1

Jesus fuck, Dragon Quest XI..  Why is your endgame so stressful?

The end bosses in some of theseTockle missions are as tough as or tougher than the fucking evil douche I murdered to save the world. 

I'm even starting to do logistical things like stocking up on Special Medicine and Holy Water so that I can waltz up to the boss without getting bogged down with random encounters.  It is not lost on me that mana recovery potions cannot be bought, so I have to strategically use them.

These little time traveling kodanma assholes will be the death of me.

Edited by J.T.

52 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The tripwire 's are easy once you figure out where to put them.   And having the Tearblaster and War Bow are musts.

Yeah, I have all the weapons. The OP Frozen Wilds weapons made the "Kill 15 Frostclaws" trophy easy, I just kept farming them in that one Hunting Lodge. I guess my annoyance comes from trial and error, having to keep re-doing the same trial over and over until I get it right so I can get all marks on each trial.

I was originally just going to 100% the main game, but I might as well do the Feats part of the Frozen Wild trophy set too. Which I don't have much of those left either, just stuff like animal figures, pigments, etc. I think in the main game all I have left are the Hunting Lodges and random little trophies like dismount takedowns and stuff.

• Like 1