DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just to elaborate a little

If I was in the market for a PS5 - I would have tried to grab that bundle in a heartbeat

But that XBOX bundle was basically $750 for a game I already own, a second controller I don't need and only 3 months of Game Pass

The restock that Walmart is supposed to get later this week, for example, are all All Access bundles. So the console and 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate for around $800. (And theoretically on a payment plan. I am not sure if you can pay the full freight upfront or not). That is a better deal for me personally. 

I attempted to grab said PS5 bundle from GameStop this morning.

Got to the page, hit "Add to Cart" a bunch of times and kept getting a pop-up that said "Undefined."

Was unable to add it to the cart before the thing finally came across that it was no longer available.

Pain in the ass. . .but I've got my tracker loaded and ready to go.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Just to elaborate a little

If I was in the market for a PS5 - I would have tried to grab that bundle in a heartbeat

But that XBOX bundle was basically $750 for a game I already own, a second controller I don't need and only 3 months of Game Pass

The restock that Walmart is supposed to get later this week, for example, are all All Access bundles. So the console and 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate for around $800. (And theoretically on a payment plan. I am not sure if you can pay the full freight upfront or not). That is a better deal for me personally. 

When I went to get my daughter a switch for Christmas Amazon had sold out quick. Wal-Mart third parties bought them all, raised the price and sold them. I ordered one on Walmart.com not knowing it wasn't really Walmart but a 3rd party.  Bet they are doing similar with the Xbox and PS5 right now. 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If I wanted to spend that much, I would have gotten from a reseller months ago

I hear you.  I wouldn't pay extra for a bundle I didn't want either.  

Fortunately (unfortunately?), I didn't have any such qualms about paying a guy on eBay an extra $400 to pack an unopened PS5 in a slightly larger box, throw in $3 of bubble wrap, and write my name and shipping address on the outside of the box.  Lol, and the guy still overcharged me on the shipping!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new PS5 when you finally get one in April.... 2022.

Edited by Eoae
fixed a typo

55 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Virtual queue at Sony is opening up in less than 15 minutes.

That's 5:30 PM Eastern/2:30 PM Pacific.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Annnnnnnnd they're gone.

21 hours ago, Eoae said:

IFYI: Sony claims that the largest HDD (storage size) the PS3 can accommodate is 1TB.  Unofficially, you can get a 1.5 TB drive to work, but you may run into issues.  I never tried 1.5 myself.  1TB was large enough to suit me and I wasn't interested in trying to troubleshoot if it didn't work smoothly.  But, yeah, go this route.  It's surprisingly cheap and easy.

How bizarre.  There's no practical difference between 1TB and other sizes - why the limit?  Strange.

Transformers: Devastation is so much better than a toy/movie tie-in has any right to be.  Not too surprising, since it was developed by PlatinumGames, but I was still caught off guard.  I'm mostly unfamiliar with the series, having never paid much attention to the various toys, games, cartoons, Michael Bay, etc., but damn if I wasn't won over by the nostalgia hit.  The graphics look pretty close to the original 80's cartoon, the English dub cast is mostly voice actors from the original cartoon, and Vince DiCola (Transformers: The Movie) did the soundtrack.

Lol, I'm not even a fan of the movie and I still wanted to hear Stan Bush's "The Touch' while I was playing.

Gameplay is fun, though it's jarring to see giant robots that can turn into trucks hop around like a ninja and do elaborate combos.  Combat is reminiscent of Bayonetta and other Platinum games. so you get comfortable with it fairly quickly.

Anyway, not Platinum's best game (that's not a knock on the game), but still a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I found that getting the PS5 through Sony was the easiest route to go through. I got myself one right when I came down with covid after Thanksgiving and I got one for a friend who was looking for one. As soon as I got the twitter notification that Sony was selling them, I jumped right in queue. It showed my wait was an hour, but that turned out to be placeholder text because once the sales started, my wait time turned into 8 minutes. From there I bought I bought it, got free 2 day shipping, and shipped it to my friend's house.

The Xbox Series X on the other hand has been impossible for me to score. It's almost always Best Buy, Walmart, or Amazon that winds up selling them and there's no bot protection with them so bots wind up buying out the inventory within a minute.

It's been nearly six fucking months. You'd think these places would do more to make sure actual consumers can buy it instead of dickheads with their bots who only want to sell it on the secondary market.

• Like 3

I might try to get it the normal way for a few more days and then, in all likelihood, end up saying "Fuck it" and getting it on eBay or something.

I don't necessarily have anything against paying extra for it or anything. . .free market and all that. . .I just don't really want to if I don't have to.

Not going to spoil anything for J.T. (I think I'm still ahead of him), but I made a nice dent in Dragon Quest XI today. Actually got to play for a good chunk of the afternoon, so that was nice. Such a good game. I believe it was said earlier in the thread, but the other side of that is the Tockle missions. Fuck the Tockle missions.

Got one!

I took everyone's advice and followed those accounts that were tracking restocks and stuff. They all said that there was a Target restock coming this morning so I dragged my ass out of bed at 4 AM and spammed the Target website, but I got one.

The best part is that, since it was Target, the only option they have is picking it up from the store, so I drove the 20 minutes to Target and got it already.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

• Like 3

I hate you... mainly since I followed the Target one in case they did put up the XBOX too and they didn't

Meanwhile - I am in the never ending fail loop with Walmart right now

• Haha 1

Yeah - apparently what happened with the Walmart drop is the West Coast people were able to get into the system before the stock dropped to fill out their applications (since they were only selling the All Access versions). So when the stock actually went live, everyone who already filled out their stuff were able to zoom right through.

I finally got the out of stock message after about a hour of trying

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - apparently what happened with the Walmart drop is the West Coast people were able to get into the system before the stock dropped to fill out their applications (since they were only selling the All Access versions). So when the stock actually went live, everyone who already filled out their stuff were able to zoom right through.

I finally got the out of stock message after about a hour of trying

I was able to get an XSX through them back in December. Missed one drop as I didn’t have an account with the credit card set up but got it on the next drop or the one after. Nice thing was they said it would arrive sometime in January, but I got it before Christmas 

now if I just had time to use it

• Like 1

Ugh - such the cock tease

I was able to get one into my cart via the Best Buy restock but all the locations within 250 miles sold out before I was able to actually checkout.

The sad trombone played when they removed the item from my cart

On 3/24/2021 at 9:46 AM, Eoae said:

Transformers: Devastation is so much better than a toy/movie tie-in has any right to be. 

I picked up a copy yesterday, very glad to hear that. I love Platinum, love Gen 1 Transformers, hate Michael Bay...

I'd been putting off buying it for years and years but the PSN store shutdown rumor/news has me snatching up PS3 games like a madman. Resonance of Fate, White Knight Chronicles II (comes w/ the original on disc), UMvC3, Tomb Raider Trilogy, Binary Domain, We Love Katamari, Disgaea D2, all pretty cheap. Picked up The Darkness on a total whim and the guy at the flea market told me it's great. Spent the most money on a copy of The Simpsons Game but I think my big win was getting Best of Playstation Network Vol. 1 for 20 bucks at said flea market cause a few hours later I got a ding from eBay that a copy sold for 78 bucks. It's a (Tokyo) jungle out there.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ugh - such the cock tease

I was able to get one into my cart via the Best Buy restock but all the locations within 250 miles sold out before I was able to actually checkout.

The sad trombone played when they removed the item from my cart

Yeah, I had to make a 40 minute road trip to the ass end of Mechanicsville to get my console in December.  The SX's at the Best Buy 15 minutes from my house sold out in the ten minutes it took to get a console in my cart.

I was prepared to drive as far as Williamsburg or maybe Hampton, but I lucked out for a change.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2021 at 4:51 PM, Robert C said:

I was able to get an XSX through them back in December.

Me too.  I installed like five retail bots on my laptop and I got a hit ten minutes before the Best Buy drop the weekend before Cyber Monday.

I was able to get XSX in my cart and check out, but I had to wait until the week before Christmas to pick it up.

Sony appears to have taken the old version of the PSN store (which included the PS3 & Vita games) offline.  They were supposed to do that last year when they rolled out a new version of the store for the PS5 launch, but never did.  They did disable functionality, so you couldn't buy titles through your web browser.  Stores are still accessible from the apps on the PS3 and Vita, but I'm expecting an official announcement about their closing next week.

I'm still loading up my PS3 with digital titles though i'm not at all certain Sony's going to let me keep access to them.  We'll see. 

Transformers Devastation reminds me of those old licensed games where they'd throw a license drape (or three) over whatever game template they had ready to go. In a good way. It doesn't really fit (why are the Autobots using swords?) but I bought it for 'Transformers + Platinum' and that's what I got. High sequel potential with I think only about five controllable characters which won't happen due to licensing, but can't fault Activision for having the license in the first place and putting their money on 'like Bayonetta but with vehicle form hit and runs for wicked weaves'.