DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Sony are killing the PS3, Vita and PSP online stores later in the year. Talk online is that any digital games you have on these systems will be locked once the support is yanked by Sony.

Rumor is that the PSP and PS3 will die on July 2nd, while the Vita will stay alive for another month (August 27th).

Edited by Casey
  • Sad 3

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sony are killing the PS3, Vita and PSP online stores later in the year. Talk online is that any digital games you have on these systems will be locked once the support is yanked by Sony.

Rumor is that the PSP and PS3 will die on July 2nd, while the Vita will stay alive for another month (August 27th).

I haven't heard the second part of that.  I'm assuming that you'll at least be able to play games you've already purchased.  I've got 100 or so digital games on my PS3 (w/ plans to download more before the store closes).  If Sony does completely lock me out of those games, I may be irritated enough to swear off Sony and sell my PS5.  But it's Sony, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm told the user base for the PS3/Vita stores is fairly healthy still, so it seems odd to yank support now.  I was guessing they'd keep up support for a year maybe two.

Supposed to be an official announcement later this week, so we'll see what they actually say.  

47 minutes ago, Raziel said:

looks like I need that external HDD.

Don't think that will help, unless you're got a way to emulate PS3 games on PC.  PS3 supports external HDD but you couldn't play games from an external drive and I don't remember being able to download or move games to the external drive.  External storage was mostly for movies and music.

I'm going to try that out.  Been a long while since I hooked a usb drive up to the PS3.  I'm hoping they patched in the ability to at least copy games to external storage via one of the later firmware updates, but I'm not really expecting it.  At the moment,  I think the best backup solution is buy a replacement hdd, swap it out, and re-download your digital games to it. 

Edited by Eoae

I beat Control. Amazing game with an ending that felt anti-climatic. The ending just didn't live up to all of the lore and other shit that built up throughout the game. I still love it though, and it's probably one of the best games I've played in a long, long time.

From there, I figured I would move on to either Miles Morales, GoT, AC Valhalla, HZD, or God of War. I decided to go with AC Valhalla because it had a bunch of good reviews and word of mouth. It's also one of the very few PS5 games I have.

Man, I'm just not feeling it. I haven't played an AC game since 2 and Valhalla is reminding me of why I never got into any of the other games. Also, for a PS5 game, it doesn't look that good or even play that good. Combat is repetitive as shit. R1, R1, R1, Square, R1, R1, R1, etc. Maybe some of this is because I just came to this game after finishing Control, but I also played some of all of the other games I listed already and the combat in all of those is more fun an interesting than Valhalla.

From what I understand, Miles Morales isn't that long of a game and I've already put a couple hours into it. I may just finish that to get it done and then jump over to GoT. My daughter is already playing HZD and I'll trade the controller with her on that one. I know I missed some story beats there, but she can just fill me in on anything I missed.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Makes me wonder how they're going to treat the ps5 store in the distant future. "Buy a ps7 if you want to play those games," is not a great answer. 

My mark-out moment of Alena, Kiryl, and Ragnar's 8-bit cameo in DQXI turned into rage and despair.  The frequency of enemy attacks in the Fiery Feverfew Seeds side quest is soo fucking annoying.  Even Holy Water doesn't buy you more than five steps before you get another encounter.

I really do hate the Tockle missions.

Edited by J.T.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Makes me wonder how they're going to treat the ps5 store in the distant future. "Buy a ps7 if you want to play those games," is not a great answer. 

Sony believes in generations.  Isn't that how the tagline goes?

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

looks like I need that external HDD.

Just buy a big internal, which I may do to make sure I get all my downloadable games.

I have a hard time believing the rumor. PSP store is already dead for years and people have been able to download their purchases on PSPs. I feel that the same will be true for PS3 & Vita -- you'll still be able to download games you bought, you just won't be able to buy any other games.

Sony has already started culling PSN games from PS3 storefront (the further it goes back in all games in 2011 while if you search for it if you know the titles).

There was an issue earlier where people couldn't download their content on Vita for about week but I don't think Sony would risk making it permanent for any of their PS3/Vita content. They will get sued over it if they do.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I have a hard time believing the rumor. PSP store is already dead for years and people have been able to download their purchases on PSPs. I feel that the same will be true for PS3 & Vita -- you'll still be able to download games you bought, you just won't be able to buy any other games.

I've talked to several people in various gaming related fields (some I follow on social media, a few I know personally) and they're confident this will be the case.  You won't be able to buy new digital games or dlc, but you'll be able to access and re-download what you've already bought.  Aside from Casey saying it, I haven't seen anyone online suggesting that Sony will yank access to digital games this summer.  We'll see when there's an official announcement, but I feel confident enough to start loading up the hard drive.  Spent a decent bit tonight on PSOne/PSTwo classics and hd remasters.

This reminds me.  Can you still re-download WiiWare games you purchased?  The WiiWare store closed in March 2018, but you could still re-download prior purchases to you Wii U at the end of 2019.  Haven't checked since.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Just buy a big internal, which I may do to make sure I get all my downloadable games.

FYI: Sony claims that the largest HDD (storage size) the PS3 can accommodate is 1TB.  Unofficially, you can get a 1.5 TB drive to work, but you may run into issues.  I never tried 1.5 myself.  1TB was large enough to suit me and I wasn't interested in trying to troubleshoot if it didn't work smoothly.  But, yeah, go this route.  It's surprisingly cheap and easy.

Edited by Eoae

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

This reminds me.  Can you still re-download WiiWare games you purchased?  The WiiWare store closed in March 2018, but you could still re-download prior purchases to you Wii U at the end of 2019.  Haven't checked since.

You can. Nintendo didn't pull the plug on that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

I've talked to several people in various gaming related fields (some I follow on social media, a few I know personally) and they're confident this will be the case.  You won't be able to buy new digital games or dlc, but you'll be able to access and re-download what you've already bought.  Aside from Casey saying it, I haven't seen anyone online suggesting that Sony will yank access to digital games this summer.  We'll see when there's an official announcement, but I feel confident enough to start loading up the hard drive.  Spent a decent bit tonight on PSOne/PSTwo classics and hd remasters.

FYI: Sony claims that the largest HDD (storage size) the PS3 can accommodate is 1TB.  Unofficially, you can get a 1.5 TB drive to work, but you may run into issues.  I never tried 1.5 myself.  1TB was large enough to suit me and I wasn't interested in trying to troubleshoot if it didn't work smoothly.  But, yeah, go this route.  It's surprisingly cheap and easy.

Does it Play? on Twitter was talking about it, and the Data Hoarding subreddit is ablaze with the talk as well. Something about when the CMOS battery dies in the PS3, it won’t be able to find a connection online for these games’ licenses or whatever because the servers/store will be gone, so digital copies will be null and void. FWIW they all speculate the same thing is going to happen with PS4 and PS5 too.

Xbox has them beat in this area - the 360 store is still up, and supposedly that console still makes up a low double digit/high single digit percentage of users on Xbox Live.

Yes, the way the PS units sync with PSN relies on the CMOS battery.  

It's a $10 part that takes about 15 minutes of work to replace it and there are several repair shops that will do it for you, so it's not as much of an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yes, the way the PS units sync with PSN relies on the CMOS battery.  

It's a $10 part that takes about 15 minutes of work to replace it and there are several repair shops that will do it for you, so it's not as much of an issue.

Yeah, I thought Casey was getting at something completely different than the battery issue.  I talked to a couple of our IT guys at work and they just sorta shrugged it off as a nuisance.  Doesn't sound like it will be a huge obstacle if you really want to have a working PS3 and digital library around.  My bigger concern is that Sony will eventually do something that will prevent players from accessing the licensing agreement is some fashion (ie, removing the licenses for PS3 games from your account or cutting off the ability to re-download a game you've purchased).  

Edit: Been messing around with an old pc at work with a similar issue.  CMOS battery apparently dead, so the computer doesn't save date/time if you actually unplug it.  If I unplug it and try to connect to the internet, web browsers don't connect because of the sync issue.  The solution seems to be to... manually set the date and time to whatever is correct.

I'm hoping the PS3 solution ends up being this simple, but not expecting it.  Don't see how we'll know for certain until the store is actually shut down and we see what happens. 

Edited by Eoae

Can you play downloaded PS3/PS4 games without being logged into your PSN profile?  For example, if the internet is out or PSN has an issue.  I'm thinking you can on Sony consoles, but not on Microsoft platforms?  Is that right?

Thanks.  I'm at work and can't check from here.  For some reason, Google is only giving me info about profile sharing and such.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.  I'm on a conference call and wasn't paying attention to what was posted above me.

Edited by Eoae

For those looking for PS5s and XBOX Series Xs - it apparently is a big week for restocks

Sony Direct and Sams Club already had PS5 restocks yesterday.

So if you still searching and are able to purchase one - this week seems to be the week to follow the stock updater people

XBOX Live has been rebranded as XBOX Network Microsoft confirmed this morning

“‘Xbox network’ refers to the underlying Xbox online service, which was updated in the Microsoft Services Agreement,” a Microsoft spokesperson told The Verge. “The update from ‘Xbox Live’ to ‘Xbox network’ is intended to distinguish the underlying service from Xbox Live Gold memberships.”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Can you play downloaded PS3/PS4 games without being logged into your PSN profile?  For example, if the internet is out or PSN has an issue.  I'm thinking you can on Sony consoles, but not on Microsoft platforms?  Is that right?

Thanks.  I'm at work and can't check from here.  For some reason, Google is only giving me info about profile sharing and such.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.  I'm on a conference call and wasn't paying attention to what was posted above me.

Depends.  If it's something the licence is sitting resident for and you you fully bought and doesn't need online connectivity to play the content (like a Division or an Elite Dangerous or something that *has* to be server connected to play), then for the most part, you're good.  PS Plus freebies have to have I think have to have the same connectivity as Steam, where it just needs to verify once a month that you have an active account.  

The only issue is if the affor mentioned CMOS battery dies, it takes out the system clock, and all licence files, PS Plus, and pre-ordered games rely on the System clock to check if stuff is valid (if the battery dies, the clock resets to 1-1-1960.) For some stuff, it's workable, but if it's time released licences, then you're fucked until you change the battery and resync the clock.

On PS4 the system NEEDS the clock to authenticate against PSN, so if your clock is out, you can't sign into PSN.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Gamestop has a big restock ATM...

It looks like all they have left are bundles - and the one bundle I see is shit

I should note the PS5 bundle is WAY better (second controller, Miles Morales/Avengers/Hitman 3/$20 Gift Card)

The XBOX one swaps AC Valhalla for Miles Morales and a third game for 3 months of Game Pass

8 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I dunno that you're in a position to be all that picky.  

For that amount of money - yes, yes I am

If I wanted to spend that much, I would have gotten from a reseller months ago

• Like 3

Just to elaborate a little

If I was in the market for a PS5 - I would have tried to grab that bundle in a heartbeat

But that XBOX bundle was basically $750 for a game I already own, a second controller I don't need and only 3 months of Game Pass

The restock that Walmart is supposed to get later this week, for example, are all All Access bundles. So the console and 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate for around $800. (And theoretically on a payment plan. I am not sure if you can pay the full freight upfront or not). That is a better deal for me personally.