DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Not a bad time to try FFRK. 6th year anniversary Fest coming up. 6 years of old content (with about 5 of it being stuff you could probably manage after half a year of playing or so without spending a cent given power creep). Wait mode is being introduced with the fest so while it's ATB generally, you'll have a turn based option by the end of the month. You get to put Locke, Lulu, and Leon from FFII on the sameteam (though I wouldn't suggest it because that's three different elements right there). As gacha-driven games go, it's incredibly fair. You'll have years and years of good astoundingly deep (almost too deep by now) Final Fantasy-loving content without ever feeling like you need to be anything but a free player.

Feel free to ask me more.

I know I already said it, but I fucking love Control so much. I can't think of another game that has made me WANT to backtrack to other areas just to see what I can access with my newer abilities. Like, early on you come across rooms full of mold and then much later on you can complete a quest to get past those areas. I probably spent almost an hour trying to find all of the areas I previously went to that I couldn't get into. I read every document I find, watch every video, and listen to every recording. It's just so awesome. I have no idea how close I am to the end of the game, but I'm not getting tired of it and I'm constantly exploring new areas and finding new things. 

And despite all of the awesome abilities I have no, I still can't successfully complete any of those pop up missions where you have to protect agents. I always wind up starting out really well and then everything falls apart once the kamikaze Hiss start bombarding everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

If anyone has any suggestions for under-the-radar Wii U digital games, let me know.  Almost has to be an obscure Wii U exclusive or something that was ported from PC or handheld, though.

Using the extensive research method of looking at what I have, I'm surprised how little there actually is on the download side once the virtual console is taken out of the equation.

- Mighty Switch Force and The Gunman Clive games are good stuff but have since been ported to Switch. Similarly, I have Fast Racing NEO in my backlog but I think Switch's Fast RMX is an expansion of the same thing.

- Severed is available on other systems, but I would think best played with a stylus.

- The NES Remix games have some content not included in the later 3DS compliation port.

- Star Fox Guard should be on anyone's 'making use of the gamepad' checklist.

- Would've grabbed Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars if it were on sale, and Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails was tempting.

23 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, apparently it's old school because the kids these days hate turn based combat in RPGs

Do they really? I always thought the fact that real-time combat sucks donkey dick was the One Unshakable Truth of CRPGs. Is there a generation out there that doesn't recognize that?

9 hours ago, Raziel said:

So if I'm really hankering for a newer JRPG and aren't sold on replaying my modded out the ass and upscaled FF7 and 9 PC versions, DQ IX is the way to go?

I don't think I am far enough in to make a solid judgment, but the game hasn't pissed me off yet.

7 hours ago, Robert C said:

Does hating turned based RPGs work like the fountain of youth? I already hate most of 'em, and I guess I could train myself to hate KOTOR.

I don't ever think I could hate KOTOR and I only hate turn based RPGs that have ridiculous amounts of grind. 

I am not far into DQIX, but so far that is not the case.  The game having characters designed by Akira Toryama only makes it more endearing.

42 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Do they really? I always thought the fact that real-time combat sucks donkey dick was the One Unshakable Truth of CRPGs. Is there a generation out there that doesn't recognize that?

I have played too many really good Action RPGs to 100% agree with that.  Mass Effect saga and Diablo II being arguably the best examples.

I do prefer old school turn based Fallout to the shenanigans of the ARPG console installments.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

FF7R proves this false.

JRPGs didn't fall out of favour because of mechanics they fell out of favour because once you got off the a-list games the plot of every single one of them for about 10 years became exactly the same 3 tropes recycled infinitely and people got bored of it. Every genre goes through it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I have played too many really good Action RPGs to 100% agree with that.  Mass Effect saga and Diablo II being arguably the best examples.

I do prefer old school turn based Fallout to the shenanigans of the ARPG console installments.

Not familiar with Mass Effect, and I'd question whether Diablo is an RPG.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

FF7R proves this false.

I'm not familiar with that either.

6 hours ago, Salads said:

Using the extensive research method of looking at what I have, I'm surprised how little there actually is on the download side once the virtual console is taken out of the equation.

- Mighty Switch Force and The Gunman Clive games are good stuff but have since been ported to Switch. Similarly, I have Fast Racing NEO in my backlog but I think Switch's Fast RMX is an expansion of the same thing.

- Severed is available on other systems, but I would think best played with a stylus.

- The NES Remix games have some content not included in the later 3DS compliation port.

- Star Fox Guard should be on anyone's 'making use of the gamepad' checklist.

- Would've grabbed Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars if it were on sale, and Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails was tempting.

I went through various reviews and recommendations tonight and I still only have 6-8 games on my list that aren't published by Nintendo - and several of those really could be purchased for other consoles.

Wii U is a weird one for me.  I feel like it was badly designed and marketed, so it probably deserved to fail, but I still like it a lot.  The library of Nintendo titles is great.  I think I enjoyed almost every game Nintendo published for it.  Plus you get the Wii library, and a rather decent selection of virtual console titles.  For some reason, I'm more nostalgic for it than I am about most game consoles.

But, man, some of those hardware design decisions were head-scratchers.  

11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Hello, I was born in 1989 and I fucking hate turn based shit (except for Cosmic Star Heroine).

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know I already said it, but I fucking love Control so much. I can't think of another game that has made me WANT to backtrack to other areas just to see what I can access with my newer abilities. Like, early on you come across rooms full of mold and then much later on you can complete a quest to get past those areas. I probably spent almost an hour trying to find all of the areas I previously went to that I couldn't get into. I read every document I find, watch every video, and listen to every recording. It's just so awesome. I have no idea how close I am to the end of the game, but I'm not getting tired of it and I'm constantly exploring new areas and finding new things. 

And despite all of the awesome abilities I have no, I still can't successfully complete any of those pop up missions where you have to protect agents. I always wind up starting out really well and then everything falls apart once the kamikaze Hiss start bombarding everything.

I have no shame in admitting that I turned on God Mode and one hit kills. Jesse is OP as fuck, no one can convince me this isn't the way the game should be played damnit!!

On 3/6/2021 at 7:57 AM, JLSigman said:

I bought myself Hades, so now it sits in my Steam folder of shame with a couple dozen other things I've bought and then not played (or only played a minute of).

I've played a couple hours, gotten as far as 11 rooms, and I definitely love it, but I'm having some of the same issues with movement that I did with Bastion. I unlocked the spear before quitting yesterday, and I'll see if I can work it better than the bow, but I'll probably turn on God mode soon.

9 hours ago, Eoae said:

Wii U is a weird one for me.  I feel like it was badly designed and marketed, so it probably deserved to fail, but I still like it a lot.  The library of Nintendo titles is great.  I think I enjoyed almost every game Nintendo published for it.  Plus you get the Wii library, and a rather decent selection of virtual console titles.  For some reason, I'm more nostalgic for it than I am about most game consoles.

But, man, some of those hardware design decisions were head-scratchers.  

If it weren't for most of the library managing to later find a larger, more appreciative audience I'd probably be bitter and raving about the Wii U on street corners. It was always destined for failure which made the press assasinations seem needless. Right now it's primarily a great way to grab virtual console (esp GBA, DS and Wii) games digitally, affordably and permanently possibly for the last time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I have no shame in admitting that I turned on God Mode and one hit kills. Jesse is OP as fuck, no one can convince me this isn't the way the game should be played damnit!!

There's no way I could play this on god mode. I like the risk of dying too much, but hate when it's in a boss fight that sends me to a control point that's really far away.

Another thing I love. So I got to a point where I thought I was nearing the end of the game. The one big question mark for me is in Central Executive, there's that hallway you can't pass through because it starts killing you. I figured that would be unlocked and I'd proceed to the end of the game.

Nope. Holy shit...

Spoiler

FUCKING ALAN WAKE! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I saw the references in documents to Alan Wake along the way, but never did I think Alan Wake would get so involved for where I'm at.

So just when I think I've explored each sector, I have two new sectors that opened up AND a total mindfuck of a twist/reveal. Amazing. Simply amazing. There's just so many layers to this game. Unless this thing shits the bed, this may be one of my favorite games ever.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I've played a couple hours, gotten as far as 11 rooms, and I definitely love it, but I'm having some of the same issues with movement that I did with Bastion. I unlocked the spear before quitting yesterday, and I'll see if I can work it better than the bow, but I'll probably turn on God mode soon.

I need to get back into Hades since I absolutely loved playing it.  But I definitely noticed some weapons I got later on didn't work as well for me as earlier ones.  I don't remember caring for the bow that much but the spear worked out fairly well for me.  It also depends on if I want to go long-range or get close-up and attack so it's been fun finding a weapon to fit my approach to the game.  That said I have no problem turning on God mode as all it did was make it harder for me to die.  And I have no shame in admitting that if it helps me get closer to beating the game then I'll just go ahead and use it.

The only trick I found to Hades was ABD: Always Be Dodging.  I could never really get the hang of the ranged weapons, except for the second form of the bow which can be pretty broken.  I also suck with the shield because I never remember to actually block with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, you pretty much have to be in control but almost always dodging and attacking. I'm not good at the game but my initial struggles were trying to be too methodical and "in control". 

Oh, no, this mother fucking despot king just didn't go and have my home village razed to the ground while he had me in the dungeon.  This shit is personal now.

Watch these mother fucking devs explain his actions away with, "Well, I was under the influence of an evil magical spell, but now I'm all better!"

I hate all of the versions of the amnesia = absolution RPG Trope.

Edited by J.T.

My GameCube chainsaw controller arrived today (for RE4).  

I'm way too excited to test this out and see if RE4 is even playable with this thing.  I'm not expecting much.

I've been wanting one of these for years and could never find the right combination of price/condition/disposable income.