DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Finally finished with Vampyr. And no, I'm not going back in to trophy hunt. Is bad game.

Good job I'd played Life is Strange 2 before this, or I'd have assumed LiS1 being good was a fluke and washed my hands of Dontnod.

Playing PS2 Psychonauts on PS4 and maaaaaan I've played it on Steam before and loved the story but the controls and camera clunkiness are just fucking brutal these days. it's still mostly fun enough and entertaining enough for me to look past that, I will make it till the end because I know it's a good game but damn, it gets to the point of wanting to throw my control now and then. 

Question for anyone who has Miles Morales on PS5: 

Are the graphics between Spider-Man remastered and MM noticeably different, or are they the same?

Hopefully getting in a few days and trying to decide whether or not to play through the remastered version again before starting MM.

2 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Are the graphics between Spider-Man remastered and MM noticeably different, or are they the same?

Hopefully getting in a few days and trying to decide whether or not to play through the remastered version again before starting MM.

I don't have the remastered Spider-Man but Miles Morales looks great, probably looks even better if you haven't played the remaster if that's what you're thinking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Question - I have a Windows 10 computer. Are there any good game controllers? I'm guessing I can't just go grab my PS3 or PS4 ones and plug them in.

You can't just plug it in, but there are programs that'll set a PS4 controller to Xinput and it'll work fine.  I tend to use a wired X360 controller though.  They're relatively cheap not needing thr blue tooth or batteries but still have all the functionality.   Only bad thing is the D pad is a little suspect on some things.

If you want to pay a bit more/play a ton of retro, anything made by 8bitdo is great.

• Like 1

8bitdo is amazing. I grabbed the USB to connect my ps4 controllers to the Switch when I first picked it up and have literally never played a Switch game without it. I can't even imagine trying to play using the joycons in the plastic holder that the system came with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Question - I have a Windows 10 computer. Are there any good game controllers? I'm guessing I can't just go grab my PS3 or PS4 ones and plug them in.

I have used my PS3 controller in the past. Same as Raziel has written: it's not straight-forward, but you can get it to work. I even have used a Wiimote on Windows (though the powering of the sensor bar is a bit tricky).

• Like 1

So, I have never played the Star Wars Old Republic MMO. Am I crazy to give it a go now? Maybe a more specific question, how annoying am I likely to find the F2P restrictions if I'm mainly playing it for the story? How bad is that 1 million credit restriction gonna be?

The fact that they've altered their payment model so you could sub for one month and it unlocks every current expansion forever is... interesting.

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:

I have a Win 10 laptop that I have used a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, XBox One, DualShock 4, and a Logitech Playstation-style USB controller on with no problems.

My favorite is either the XBox One or the Nintendo Pro controller.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leonidas said:

If you're asking whether Miles Morales looks like a next-gen game and Spider-Man Remastered looks like a last gen game, my answer would be that there's not that much difference.  Marvel's Spider-Man was already a great looking PS4 game and Insomniac put a lot of work into the remaster.  Really, Spider-Man should be the blueprint for how to do a remaster.  Ray tracing, ambient shadows, more details in backgrounds and face models (you can see individual hair strands), better lighting, weather effects.  It's a substantial difference.  I really didn't think Spidey Remastered was an essential purchase until I played it.  Insomniac seems like they did more work than is usual.

(On the flip side of the coin, the PS5 remasters of Nioh and Nioh 2 look about the same as the backwards-compatible PS4 editions.  You don't get much in terms of visuals or performance that you wouldn't get playing the PS4 games on the PS5, so I didn't feel like it was worth paying for the remasters.

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Finally finished with Vampyr. And no, I'm not going back in to trophy hunt. Is bad game.

Good job I'd played Life is Strange 2 before this, or I'd have assumed LiS1 being good was a fluke and washed my hands of Dontnod.

If you liked Life is Strange, play Tell Me Why and Twin Mirror (also by DONTNOD).  Both are character/narrative-driven games and have more in common with LiS than Vampyr.  I think I might like Tell Me Why more than Life is Strange (probably a minority opinion).  Twin Mirror was a bit flawed but interesting.

I also liked their first game, Remember Me, a lot.  Technical/budget issues undid it a bit.  It probably needed to be be a PS4/Xbox One to open up the world like the studio initially wanted.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JLSigman said:

In my experience, I have it on decent authority that just about any controller can work with PC, but they won't. Spent far too much of my life pissing around buying adapters, downloading drivers, configging everything button by button etc and I think the best I managed was 'my PC knows the controller is there, and if I run this program in the background beforehand I can use it without analogue control but only if I bought the game on Steam'. Obviously my failings don't mean you won't have great success but for peace of mind just grab any Xbox controller (well, 360 and newer) and it'll always work.

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

So, I have never played the Star Wars Old Republic MMO. Am I crazy to give it a go now? Maybe a more specific question, how annoying am I likely to find the F2P restrictions if I'm mainly playing it for the story? How bad is that 1 million credit restriction gonna be?

The fact that they've altered their payment model so you could sub for one month and it unlocks every current expansion forever is... interesting.

For the most part, you won't notice the F2P restrictions. Probably the one that I would find most annoying is the ability to toggle helmets, but depending on which race you play that might not be an issue at all. The 1 million credit limit shouldn't bother you too much, again, if you're just playing for story. You're not going to be buying housing or major glams.

The one month sub to get (most) everything is absolutely worth it, tho. I haven't given them money in over a year and still can play the newest story stuff.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, JLSigman said:

Thanks again for all the help. What I'm wanting to do is plug a controller in and have Steam recognize it. I've tried a few times to play Devil May Cry 5 with the keyboard, and it's just not working for me. And since I'm about to buy a new (to me) game, probably Jedi: Fallen Knight, I want to be sure I have that option just in case.

22 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Thanks again for all the help. What I'm wanting to do is plug a controller in and have Steam recognize it. I've tried a few times to play Devil May Cry 5 with the keyboard, and it's just not working for me. And since I'm about to buy a new (to me) game, probably Jedi: Fallen Knight, I want to be sure I have that option just in case.

Anything that's X-Input capable will just plug and play (shit, I've actually gotten SNES controllers to work plug play with a physical adapter.)  The wired 360 is in the $20 range and doesn't require anything to operate in Steam.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JLSigman said:

For the most part, you won't notice the F2P restrictions. Probably the one that I would find most annoying is the ability to toggle helmets, but depending on which race you play that might not be an issue at all. The 1 million credit limit shouldn't bother you too much, again, if you're just playing for story. You're not going to be buying housing or major glams.

The one month sub to get (most) everything is absolutely worth it, tho. I haven't given them money in over a year and still can play the newest story stuff.

On the helmets I'll just pretend I'm playing the old KOTOR games where you ignore your helmet slot and/or find some sandpeople goggles, everything else was a no.

• Like 1

One thing I really love about Control is that the puzzles aren't overly complicated or difficult. I'm also completely drawn in to reading each and every single document I come across because there's something about the lore for this game that scratches an itch for me that hasn't been scratched since Half-Life 1 and 2.

Well, I finally had to seek help with one problem, which was the getting past the first black blob thing that looks like it came from the Netflix series Dark. After watching a video, it turned out getting past it was easier than I imagined.

So In a bunch of hours of gameplay, that's really the only thing I had to look up.

My one big issue with the game is that Faden is just some regular old person that something is speaking to. She just casually strolls into the Oldest House off the street right when the Oldest House is under attack, no one bothers to question why she is in this ultra secure location, she even walks right into the director's office and not a single person is concerned that she now has the director's gun. At least with Half-Life, Gordon Freeman worked at Black Mesa so living scientists and security understood why he was there. 

• Like 1

Oh, may as well link this here:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/2/22/22290096/best-video-game-character-bracket-intro-round-1

The Ringer is always doing these March Madness style tournaments and this year it's video game characters. At first glance, there's going to be a lot of first round upsets. Like, Albert Wesker should beat Tails, I would take Johnny Gat over Nathan Drake, in what world does the Doom Slayer not beat the Goose from Untitled Goose Game, and I'd probably take Agent 47 over Lara Croft. Gordon Freeman has a tough draw over Ryu, which kinda sucks.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

My one big issue with the game is that Faden is just some regular old person that something is speaking to. She just casually strolls into the Oldest House off the street right when the Oldest House is under attack, no one bothers to question why she is in this ultra secure location, she even walks right into the director's office and not a single person is concerned that she now has the director's gun. At least with Half-Life, Gordon Freeman worked at Black Mesa so living scientists and security understood why he was there. 

I don't know how far you are in the game, but this is explained towards the end.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know how far you are in the game, but this is explained towards the end.

I just got to the boss fight with Salvador on the way to finding my brother.

EDIT: Also, I found it funny that Jesse basically asks the same questions I'm asking.

Edited by Craig H

Once you find Dylan, that's when the answers start to flow. Not immediately, but you get a glimpse into what's actually going on. It's a super interesting game, I'm like you in the sense that all of the lore and stuff just sucks me in because this game is like Twin Peaks in video game before. To me, anyway.

• Like 1

One of the strimmers I'm subscribed to got me hooked on Gwent. Having played Magic, et al for so many years, the pace of the game is quite refreshing. I lucked into a few of the key Nilfgaard legendary cards so I have about four Nilfgaard decks built. I'm working on increasing my collection so I can play a few other factions reliably.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:27 AM, Casey said:

Once you find Dylan, that's when the answers start to flow. Not immediately, but you get a glimpse into what's actually going on. It's a super interesting game, I'm like you in the sense that all of the lore and stuff just sucks me in because this game is like Twin Peaks in video game before. To me, anyway.

Since I beat Salvador and got the levitate ability, I decided to go back to that giant chasm that you're previously unable to cross. It's where the Anchor is. I tried maybe 10 times to beat that fucking thing and ONCE I came close. All I had to do was throw one more fucking clock at that thing and one of those flying Hiss creatures killed me. That fight is fucking aggravating. I went and watched some YouTube videos and those didn't help because I'm already doing what they showed to do. This is one of the few times where I feel like the combat is being incredibly fucking cheap. It's just all coming down to luck that I don't get bombarded by what feels like a dozen of those flying Hiss things or hit with a rocket that gets fired on the other side of the arena.

I'm driven to be a completionist with this game so I'm going to keep at it, but it feels like I'm just going to have to get lucky to beat it.

Also, Jesus, I think I have only been successful in beating two of those impromptu missions you get from time to time. Those things are just kicking my ass every time I go to do one. Mind you, my health is fully maxed out and I'm 1 ability point away from having my last body mod unlocked.

Whatever though. This game fucks. I love it.