DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I think Mario games with linear levels have been stale for literal decades now, so I welcome more open-world stuff. Odyssey was a huge breath of fresh air for that series. Bowser's Fury doesn't even have the canard of having to go to paintings or take your hat ship to different levels, though. Plessie being used as a speedy way to get across the seamlessly-connected map is perfect. 

I don't want to see a linear Mario again until they can even begin to approach that SMB3/SMW level of linear platforming challenges.

I feel like Mario Maker also makes "A professionally designed linear mario game that took us 4 years to do" kind of pointless at this point. You have access to literally every conceivable level of challenge at this point without needing any further work from Nintendo themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I feel like Mario Maker also makes "A professionally designed linear mario game that took us 4 years to do" kind of pointless at this point. You have access to literally every conceivable level of challenge at this point without needing any further work from Nintendo themselves.

This is a very good point, and I'm going to feel really foolish when Nintendo announces New Super Mario Bros. Switch and I toss them $60 without a second's thought.

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think Mario games with linear levels have been stale for literal decades now, so I welcome more open-world stuff. Odyssey was a huge breath of fresh air for that series. Bowser's Fury doesn't even have the canard of having to go to paintings or take your hat ship to different levels, though. Plessie being used as a speedy way to get across the seamlessly-connected map is perfect. 

I don't want to see a linear Mario again until they can even begin to approach that SMB3/SMW level of linear platforming challenges.

Basically it’s time for Metroidvania Mario.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Basically it’s time for Metroidvania Mario.

This is a very good idea for a fresh 2D Mario.

That or finally make a sequel to the U.S. version of Super Mario Bros. 2, which is a much, much worse idea. 

So I managed to snag a PS5 through Playstation Direct and got it Saturday.  I had seen all the size comparisons but I really didn't appreciate just how much bigger it is until I unboxed it.

Playing through Miles Morales right now and it's a blast.  Although I wish they gave the option for an asymmetrical stick DualSense.  I had been using an Astrogaming C40 on my PS4 that I had setup to be asymmetrical and it's really hard for me to go back to the symmetrical sticks.

• Like 2

Got my 207th Platinum trophy with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on PSVita. The story of the game is great (Chapter 2's trial is especially moving), but Bullet Time Battles are terrible. School Mode is also terrible until you get the hang of it (essentially it turns into resource management and when you finally build the tools, it turns into easy mode).

• Like 1

If Vampyr was a good game, I'd have finished it by now. I get so far, reach another shitty boss battle, and stop playing it for a week. It says something about how bad a game is, that it can not only make you not want to play it, but also make you not want to even switch your Playstation on.

• Haha 1

Playing Shadows of the Damned and wondering how batsh*t insane the game would be if Suda and Mikami were allowed to make the game they wanted to make (the game was released only after Suda agreed to a number of changes made by the publisher and both he and Mikami feel the released build doesn't reflect their vision).

I mean, Shadows is a very weird game, full of off-the-wall weirdness, gore, sophmoric humor, more gore, etc.  Oh, and then there's the stuff that's just downright offensive.  I'm not sure making your character nude, a weapon that turns into a butterfly/bunny, a love story between your character and his bunny/butterfly/weapon, even more aborted fetuses and all the other oonzo nonsense Suda & Mikami wanted to do  would make the final product any stranger, much less better.  

I find Suda fascinating as a designer (less a fan of some of the stuff he's said over the years), but he's Vince Russo in that he's not quite the artistic genius he thinks he is, so he's probably better off with someone to reign him in even though he disagrees and resents the intrusion.

A Switch port of killer7 is supposedly in the works.  I'd be thrilled if Nintendo announced that today.

Edited by Eoae

So during the last sale I picked up the Mega Man Anniversary bundle, which was the 2 main line Legacy Collections, the 2 X Legacy Collections, and MM11.  

MM11 is really good.  Level design, controls, robot masters and weapons, sliding difficulty, bringing back a real Mega Buster and the SLIDE! (which 9 and 10 fucked up), yeah, I was satisfied with that, even the Double Gear gimmick was good.

but I really got to dig into the X series for the first time, and man did I miss out, those game (at least up to 5) are REALLY fucking good.

Main line 1-6 are still good, 7-8 got a bad rap but are a definite step down from the 8-bit games.  9 and 10 were huge misses.  I get what they were going for, but they put more into "let's make it 8-bit again" instead of making it good.

After telling myself I wouldn’t, I went back and got all the achievements in Valhalla. The last two I needed (150m slide in the snow & defeating 3 “hard” enemies while on fire) were fickle as hell, but I did it. Good game, but I’m super done with it. 

I've never played a God of War game before (yeah I know), but man this last one is pretty great. I'm all about Norse mythology so this is really hitting that sweet spot for me. I guess it also helps that it's not a sequel, I guess, to any of the previous games. Reboot? I dunno. I'm playing on easy, because fuck you that's why, but I love it so far.

World Serpent! A dwarf that curses! Curbstomps and gore, oh my! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I've never played a God of War game before (yeah I know), but man this last one is pretty great. I'm all about Norse mythology so this is really hitting that sweet spot for me. I guess it also helps that it's not a sequel, I guess, to any of the previous games. Reboot? I dunno. I'm playing on easy, because fuck you that's why, but I love it so far.

World Serpent! A dwarf that curses! Curbstomps and gore, oh my! 

It's a sequel but in a somewhat different genre (the priors all being smashy smashy button mashy combofests in the vein of Devil May Cry) and set hundreds of years after the earlier games in the series. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So without getting into spoilers, am I going to encounter story beats from previous games that I won't be able to make sense of? Everything so far seems pretty straight forward. Kratos being hunted by Odin for being on Earth or whatever, and trying to avoid detection from the Gods in his journey to the mountain top to spread his wife's ashes.

1 minute ago, Casey said:

So without getting into spoilers, am I going to encounter story beats from previous games that I won't be able to make sense of? Everything so far seems pretty straight forward. Kratos being hunted by Odin for being on Earth or whatever, and trying to avoid detection from the Gods in his journey to the mountain top to spread his wife's ashes.

You will not. If you are vaguely aware that once upon a time Kratos killed most of the Greek gods because Zeus fucked him over, you're set. That story is centuries ago, but it still happened to him.

• Thanks 1

One last thing - after I complete the story, is that it? Or is it like every other game these days like this where I can revisit? I'm assuming not since (as of right now) there's no fast travel option. Which is going to suck because stuff like collectible sets and stuff are in past areas and it'd take awhile to get back to those places.

I only just found out about the Blizzard Arcade Collection.

Back when it was new I thought that Blackthorne was the coolest with the duck in the shadows to avoid attacks game mechanic.

No opinion on the other two games, but if the collection hits a sale I'll probably pick it up for Blackthorne.

Doubtful there's a big difference in visuals and gameplay between the systems, so I'd likely go for the Switch version.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

One last thing - after I complete the story, is that it? Or is it like every other game these days like this where I can revisit? I'm assuming not since (as of right now) there's no fast travel option. Which is going to suck because stuff like collectible sets and stuff are in past areas and it'd take awhile to get back to those places.

You can revisit after completing the game.  And real fast travel becomes a thing late game.  There's an obivious Point of No return story wise, but you can revisit to collect everything (hell, you actually need to to get the real ending)

Without playing the previous installments, there's really only like, one place you're gonna be lost with past references but it's easy to explain.

• Thanks 1