DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Bought a Ring Fit today at Target cause it's the first time I've seen it out in the wild.  I had no clue that it's a full on fitness RPG that actually looks like a lot of fun.

... of course we'll see if I think the same thing tomorrow after it's made me do 100 squats to defeat a boss.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CSC said:

Bought a Ring Fit today at Target cause it's the first time I've seen it out in the wild.  I had no clue that it's a full on fitness RPG that actually looks like a lot of fun.

... of course we'll see if I think the same thing tomorrow after it's made me do 100 squats to defeat a boss.  

I've put 155 hours into it and burned like 17K calories. It has helped me keep the weight off and tone my arms and legs. Just take it slowly at first. The RPG part is fun, but I've gone away from that and just have a routine with Ring Fit, Fitness Boxing, free weights, and jogging that has me in surprisingly good shape during the pandemic. 

Has anyone actually tried Valheim yet? I'm of the opinion there's never actually been a build/craft/survive/tree chopping game that has lived up to it's promise in 3D (Terraria did it), but this one is getting such rave reviews that I'm curious. What actually makes it good and not just ARK Survival Evolved 7?

I laughed so hard at this, I fell out of my chair at work.  People were lining up outside my office to see if I needed medical attention.  Or maybe a psych consult.  It didn’t help that I didn’t really want to explain what was so funny.

• Haha 2

There's a part of Control that I'm at that I don't dig all that much right now, and that's the crafting of mods and upgrades. I also HATE that I can't put a waypoint on the map to go to. I wind up getting lost most of the time or going around in circles.

I think my last complaint would be that the jumping motion feels...weird. It just looks weird and stiff. The running animation is also a little stiff looking, but it's fine.

The rest of the game I really love. Combat is fun and feels like there's a ton of different ways you can approach battles. And I'm still digging the mystery story.

10 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Man, has it been so long since I played Bloodstained that I didn't know Classic Mode was a thing?

It was only recently patched in via an update.  You wouldn't have seen it if you haven't played Bloodstained in the past 3-4 weeks. 

Kept on hearing that Mortal Shell was an easier way to get into the Souls like games and it is absolutely kicking my ass. I get a little better every time I play but it's starting to get frustrating that I just can't nail the combat. I'm at least lasting longer than I did in Bloodborne, hoping it will all click soon.

On 2/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, CSC said:

please keep us updated. i have been tempted by this but haven't pulled the trigger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

Kept on hearing that Mortal Shell was an easier way to get into the Souls like games and it is absolutely kicking my ass. I get a little better every time I play but it's starting to get frustrating that I just can't nail the combat. I'm at least lasting longer than I did in Bloodborne, hoping it will all click soon.

Someone lied to you, haha. I found Mortal Shell harder than the Dark Souls games, nothing about it screamed an easier way to do anything to me. 

10 hours ago, D.Z said:

The next games for Switch online Nes and Snes

Psycho Dream was Japanese only but now players in the west can enjoy it. The Nes game Fire n Ice is Soloman's Key 2

I feel like we say this every few months but its sad the games Nintendo has at their disposal and an offering like this is what we get every few months. Nothing particularly interesting to me at all.

• Like 1

This may seem like an unbelievably snobbish take from a guy with a combined over 1000 hours in the Dark Souls games (and a bunch in some of the games inspired by that), but I honestly think Dark Souls 1 is one of the easier Souls-likes. At least, once you understand how the weapon upgrades work.

I've tried quite a few Souls-like games and its a hard formula to get right. Dark Souls were *hard* but they rewarded patience and an understanding of how the game works, both with upgrades and game strategies. I think some other games just try to be hard for the sake of being hard to try to get into the genre. Mortal Shell felt more like that to me, it wasn't a bad game but it was such a Dark Souls clone I am shocked they didn't get a cease and desist.

• Like 1

Control is fucking weird and they got me with the fake credits before the final chapter. I was in complete WTF mode. Then the actual final credits role and low and behold, motherfuckin' Porcupine Tree has a song playing! That's awesome. I love this game so much, the aesthetic of the entire game is great. 

Not gonna lie, the cheats that come with the Ultimate Edition make the game A LOT easier, obviously, but it makes you feel like the proper badass Jesse is with all of these powers and shit. And I can focus on the story and the world the game is building. But mostly it makes it easier and I'm a wuss. ?

I didn't think I'd care to get Mario 3D World considering we had it on the Wii U and didn't play as much as we hoped.  But it's pretty damn fun anyway and sometimes I'm fine with just going through some quick levels especially if on a time crunch (lunch break in today's case)  Can't wait to get some multiplayer going so I can mess with them which is one thing I like about these types of Mario games.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:40 PM, odessasteps said:

The first Kaiju fight between Dark Bowser and Cat Suit Mario is terribly fun. 

Fury Bowser popping up and the boss fights get a little old there by the end, but that's the only minor complaint I have. That Bowser's Fury is the open-world Mario game that I've been waiting for. I hope this is a test run for a much bigger version of a seamless open-world Mario game in a few years.