DVDVR Message Board

2021 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

RIPPA

See the thing about Fall Guys is, there's a trophy (a GOLD trophy) for having an all Legendary skin. Meaning Colour, Pattern, Upper and Lower. Only the thing is, they haven't released legendary patterns in the store since Season One. I've got multiples of legendary Uppers, Lowers and Colours, I've got piles of crowns and coins, and I can't get the bloody trophy.

9 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I ended up buying Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World this afternoon, but was saddened to hear the online isn't really working.

The Switch edition was patched this morning.  Not sure why or what was fixed, but if there was a problem with multiplayer, I'm guessing it might have been corrected.

Finished the game last night (I've been suffering insomnia since the pandemic started, so I get a lot of play time in between midnight and 4 AM).  I'd recommend it, but it seems more for fans of the movie/graphic novels.  There's practically no context to anything (I never figured out who the other playable characters were besides Scott and Ramona) so it's sort of baffling throughout.  Boss battles were generally fun, but the core gameplay loop got repetitive   I'd probably point people to Streets of Rage 4 or River City Girls if they're looking for a retro 2D beat-em-up.

Knives is Scott's 17 year old ex girlfriend, Stephen is the lead singer of the Sex Bob-ombs, Kim is the drummer and also Scott's ex-girlfriend, Wallace is Scott's roommate. Mr Chau is Knives' father. I think Nega Scott is playable too, which is... just a negative, "evil" version of Scott. But yeah it's almost exclusively for fans of the movie or comics.

I bought it earlier, along with CrossCode and Cosmic Star Heroine (finally). I figured I should probably get CrossCode since my collector's edition is on its way apparently. I like that it's still a JRPG type game but it leaves out the turn based combat - which is what CSH has, but is still a fun game even though I generally hate that type of combat. I beat it when I had a Switch earlier last year, and then found the collector's edition on eBay since it was a limited supply type thing. The soundtrack is fucking boss.

• Thanks 1

I beat Jedi: Fallen Order this morning, but somewhere in between the dojo level and the end of the game, I got two trophies (one where BD-1 hacks a droid and defeats an enemy, and the obvious "finish the game" trophy) aaaaaand they never registered in my trophy list.

Cool cool cool.

I checked after I got back to the home screen of the game where you get NG+, nothing. I closed out the game completely and looked, even sorted the trophies by date. Nothing. Looking at the PS app right now, they haven't appeared either.

That's so goddamn annoying. I want to keep playing the game, because it seems like one where I can actually do the 100%, but I don't even know that doing a NG+ would unlock that endgame trophy. Ugh.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, AxB said:

See the thing about Fall Guys is, there's a trophy (a GOLD trophy) for having an all Legendary skin. Meaning Colour, Pattern, Upper and Lower. Only the thing is, they haven't released legendary patterns in the store since Season One. I've got multiples of legendary Uppers, Lowers and Colours, I've got piles of crowns and coins, and I can't get the bloody trophy.

OK, so someone from Fall Guys is lurking the board... They put a Legendary Pattern in the store TODAY. And I've got the trophy now...

• Haha 2

Play this over the weekend and loved every bit of it.

Trailer doesn't do it justice.  Dug the aesthetic, thought the writing was smart, the gameplay loop is pretty damn interesting, and the whole thing is wrapped in a brain-twisting sci-fi adventure out of a Kubrick movie.  Basic plot: woman named En goes on an adventure to a remote part of space looking for the secret of immortality promised her by her grandfather, the cult leader.  What she finds is a man-made space station that looks like an enormous palace and is run by a defective AI and "clones" of En made out of black goo.  There's a lot more to the plot, but the story is rather dense and gives a lot away.

Gameplay mechanics are rather cool.  Maybe the most inventive use of stealth I've seen in a game.  And the mystery of what's going with the AI and the power outages and the clones, who seem smart and aggressive one minute and dumb and scared the next, is a great twist.

Spoiler

Basically, the games uses adaptive learning really well.  When the lights are on, the AI is observing you and feeding info to the clones, who learn everything from you.  Literally everything.  If you don't open a door, the clones will never learn to open a door.  If you avoid water, the clones won't cross water.  If you jump over a table, the clones learn to jump over tables.

The catch is that the AI is malfunctioning.  The periodic power outages are the AI crashing and rebooting.  When it reboots, it forgets everything that it previously learned from you, so the clones forget everything they've learned and go back to being stupid bumblers.  So the trick of the game becomes planning what you want to get done in the dark - when the AI isn't observing you - and planning what you want the clones to learn or not learn.

Not too surprisingly, the ending is really complicated and kinda hard to follow.  The designers obviously wanted to be sci-fi writers because there's a lot to unpack here and a lot of things are only hinted at.  If you don't want to pay close attention to dialogue during cutscenes, this isn't the game for you.

Personally, one of the real "hidden gems" of the PS4 library.  I spend a fair bit of time browsing the PSN store and watching video reviews and hidden gems videos on Youtube, so it isn't too often a game comes completely out of the blue and is this good.

The designers are former employees of IO Interactive who worked on Hitman.  Unfortunately, Echo sold really poorly and the studio shut down soon after release.

• Like 1

With the Nintendo beta and assets leaks (several games had their early stuff leaked) months ago,  most interesting to me were the unused Zelda OOT stuff. Now again recently they found old F Zero n64 which cart contains more unused OOT stuff.

Edited by D.Z

Yakuza 3,4,5 remastered will be added to Xbox game pass this week. Which would be great Had I not bought them on the PS4 ?

Having PS Now and Xbox Live Pass has been great though. Eliminates the need to buy a ton of games that I'l never really play.  Now I can just pay quarterly for a handful of games I'l play and hundreds I won't.  Reminds me so much of the Sega Channel.  Anyone remember the Sega Channel?

Been playing an interesting side-scrolling metroidvania called Shinsekai: Into the Depths.  Almost overlooked this one.  It's a digital-only Switch "exclusive" that was previously developed for mobile devices and released on Apple Arcade.  Made by a little indie studio called Capcom.  Never heard of 'em.  Hope they make it.  They seem to have some talent.

Bad comedy aside, when I went looking for little-known Switch indie titles, I didn't expect one of the better ones to be from Capcom.  Into the Depths is actually rather intriguing.  Really like the art.  And the gameplay is interesting.  The game basically takes place under the sea (a new ice age turned the surface world to ice, so your character lives under the sea and spends all his time in a bulky pressure suit) and you really feel like you're controlling a dude in a bulky diving suit.  You move awkwardly, jump weirdly, and spend a lot of time clinging awkwardly to the sides of cliffs.  It gives the game a sense of immersion I don't get in other games.  I mean, Samus wears a cumbersome suit of armor in the Metroid games, but you never feel limited by it.

Anyway, enjoyable game.  I've enjoyed it quite a bit.  Doesn't feel at all like a Capcom title, and wasn't promoted all that well.  Reminds me of Song of the Deep, the Insomniac title which had a similar theme - underwater exploration - and was published by GameTrust, the somewhat obscure publishing arm of GameStop.  Song of the Deep was made by a very small team inside Insomniac as "passion project" which I feel was probably the case here.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Zimbra said:

I tried to play Yakuza 0 last night and I had forgotten how long the cutscenes are in these games.  Not sure this is going to work out.

You can skip them, if I remember right it's press start and then X.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AaronMLuke said:

Very pleased right now. Earned the Worthy achievement for ac valhalla and am now one step closer to being able to duel-wield Mjollnir and Excalibur. Good Times.

This is the first thing that's really got me interested in playing Valhalla

On 1/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, Craig H said:

MotherFUCKER. Vicarious Visions has been absorbed into Blizzard to only work on Blizzard shit from here on out, ie, trying to get Overwatch 2 out the door.

I guess that explains why there was that Diablo 2 remake rumor over the weekend with them helming it. 

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I guess that explains why there was that Diablo 2 remake rumor over the weekend with them helming it. 

I suppose that's possible, but I'm not going to be surprised if they're helping get D4 and O2 out the door before working on a remake.

I have mentioned a few times that I still prefer to buy the disc version of games (if they exist) just because that is my preference.

So with that said - it was really fucking weird that I couldn't find a copy of Hitman 3 anywhere close to me. Not Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target. Fuck - I even tried Amazon and for some bizarro reason they were out of stock AND charging more than other retailers.

Literally the closest store that had a single copy was a 20 minute drive.

I ended up buying the digital version (which I am still waiting to download) but yeah... weird.

I am going to assume that due to the pandemic (or maybe due to the new generation of consoles) they produced less physical versions of the game.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have mentioned a few times that I still prefer to buy the disc version of games (if they exist) just because that is my preference.

So with that said - it was really fucking weird that I couldn't find a copy of Hitman 3 anywhere close to me. Not Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Target. Fuck - I even tried Amazon and for some bizarro reason they were out of stock AND charging more than other retailers.

Literally the closest store that had a single copy was a 20 minute drive.

I ended up buying the digital version (which I am still waiting to download) but yeah... weird.

I am going to assume that due to the pandemic (or maybe due to the new generation of consoles) they produced less physical versions of the game.

I just did a search of major chains and a mom and pop store or two in my area, and they all had copies for at least one next gen system (and usually the last gen systems).  I could run out to Walmart now and grab a copy if I felt like it.

Amazon's listing looked a little odd, so I didn't look at details.  Not sure any of the editions were in stock and the pricing looked high.