DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't think the Daily Show has been good since John Stewart left. Trevor is fine, I guess, but it's just not the same. For example, look at the work John Oliver is doing. He would be killing it as the Daily Show host because that's essentially what he's doing on HBO. Trevor has just never felt connected enough or authoritative enough.

And Jordan isn't my jam either. Yeah, I suppose the bits where he goes to Trump rallies are fine, but I also know what to expect from that and it's not like that's a hard job to make those people look like morons.

Just everything with the Daily Show has sucked, the stuff I watched from Trevor's house wasn't good, the Jordan stuff isn't ground breaking or anything, and that show desperately needs someone who isn't Trevor. It's not like he's a bad guy or anything, but he's been a poor fit since day 1 and it's still the same now as it was then.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's on Apple+. Who (aside from Steve Jobs Kool-Aid drinkers) has fucking Apple+?

EDIT: I should say I'm going under the pretense that, like their phone chargers etc., it's extra with their service. If it's free like Prime is with Amazon then I imagine a lot more people have it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Unfortunately it's on Apple+. Who (aside from Steve Jobs Kool-Aid drinkers) has fucking Apple+?

EDIT: I should say I'm going under the pretense that, like their phone chargers etc., it's extra with their service. If it's free like Prime is with Amazon then I imagine a lot more people have it. 

You get it free for a year when you buy an Apple device, then it's $4.99 a month. I forgot about cancelling it after my year was up(which I'm sure most people do), I'll most likely cancel when this season of Ted Lasso ends and then re-up when I get my mom a new iPad at xmas.

• Like 1

The only thing Apple+ doesn't work on is Android phones. Learned that the hard way when I tried watching Ted Lasso in the hospital a couple weeks ago. 

But yeah, a ton of people have Apple+ because it's only $5 a month and it's really good. Ted Lasso is fucking great, I'm enjoying Mr. Corman a lot, I wound up liking season 2 of For All Mankind more than season 1, and the upcoming Foundation looks fucking awesome, but I'm curious to see how they pull that one off considering the book is very Dune-esque. I've also been told Physical and Tehran are both good series as well.

And for Apple+ original movies, we've only watched Wolfwalkers, but that was excellent and I love the art style. Plus, it uses two different versions of the song Running with the Wolves by Aurora, which is a fucking great song that I heard years ago and popped for hearing it in the movie.

20 hours ago, Matt D said:

Work upgraded our iPhones last year so we had it for a year. I wanted to see Foundation but ah well.

It looks great and looks like it will fill the void that the Expanse is leaving, but I also understand it's a fucking mess of a book series that sounds very hard to translate onto screen. Could be bad, could be amazing. It also has Jared Harris and Lee Pace in it, which is awesome. Again, flip side of the coin, David Goyer is producing it or is the showrunner, sooooo....we could get the David Goyer who wasn't running Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Blade, or Blade 2 but was behind those things, or we could get the David Goyer who was running shit like Blade Trinity and BvS.

This was from last week but Emily VanCamp left The Resident after last season.

The 5th season starts Sept 21.

Fox says that her character "may return in some form or fashion"

I finished Justified this morning. I think the only thing that I'm upset with is Raylan moves to Florida finally, and... yeah, he's closer to his daughter now, which I guess is the most important thing, but him and Winona are such a good fit and now she's with some shady looking dude. I guess not every faucet of this show's storyline threads can have a happy ending. Sam Elliott was a fucking revelation in this season, holy shit. What a fantastic villain. But yeah, anyway, that's some really good shit right there. Every season was better than the last, or at least matched up in quality to the previous. I want to return to this world sometime in the future, but I think Raylan and Boyd's story is done, in my opinion. Give me more of Loretta, with her probably controlling the drug trade in Harlan now. Or the adventures of Wynn Duffy (did they confirm it was him who helped her get out of the state? Strange bedfellows, if so.)

I think I might dive into The Americans, maybe? I just wanna watch some good ol' fashioned 2010s prestige TV. Suggestions? Preferably shows that are already finished.

• Like 2

When the weakest season of Justified was the one with Crow family well you still have a pretty great goddam series!

"Dug coal together" was the only line that show could end on

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

I finished Justified this morning. I think the only thing that I'm upset with is Raylan moves to Florida finally, and... yeah, he's closer to his daughter now, which I guess is the most important thing, but him and Winona are such a good fit and now she's with some shady looking dude. I guess not every faucet of this show's storyline threads can have a happy ending. Sam Elliott was a fucking revelation in this season, holy shit. What a fantastic villain. But yeah, anyway, that's some really good shit right there. Every season was better than the last, or at least matched up in quality to the previous. I want to return to this world sometime in the future, but I think Raylan and Boyd's story is done, in my opinion. Give me more of Loretta, with her probably controlling the drug trade in Harlan now. Or the adventures of Wynn Duffy (did they confirm it was him who helped her get out of the state? Strange bedfellows, if so.)

I think I might dive into The Americans, maybe? I just wanna watch some good ol' fashioned 2010s prestige TV. Suggestions? Preferably shows that are already finished.

The Americans was great, watch it!

Today’s Ted Lasso!

• Like 4

If you want a good espionage series that's not much of a time sink, The Little Drummer Girl mini-series from a few years ago was really well done

e: my tired eyes totally read "prestige tv" as "espionage tv" but I'll keep my recommendation up since you were thinking of The Americans anyway and it scratches the same itch

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

Man, Ted Lasso fucking wrecked me. Holy shit. Yeah, easily the heaviest Lasso episode.

Spoiler
  • Jamie's cunt dad
  • Jamie punching him
  • Roy hugging Jamie
  • Ted admitting his dad killed himself when he was 16
  • Whatever happened with Beard
  • And for happier tears, Rebecca and Sam getting together at the end

As for Mr. Corman, I really like it, but it is on some A24 shit, so expect that going in. I really love stuff like Lovesick and Catastrophe and Fleabag more than I should and for whatever reason, Mr. Corman scratches some of that itch when it doesn't feel like it's an art student project. It's very much a YMMV type of thing, but I dig it quite a bit.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, odessasteps said:

Sticking with my British game show kick, been watching Richard Osmans House of Games, but usually only if I know any of the guests, which usually means comedians or sports people. 

Because you said this - I looked and I hadn't realized new episodes had started.

Then I realized it was because it was when I was in hell.

Time to start poking around Youtube