DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seeing Stewart reminds me: What happened to The Daily Show? I keep getting stuff from them on Facebook but the show has been gone from the airwaves for about a month now. Usually they have a two week break like the other late night shows but this has been going for awhile. 

At the end of June they announced they were going on a 3 month hiatus, possibly coming back in Studio but with a bunch of stuff retooled.  Noah's still doing Twitter and Podcast stuff for Daily Show in the interim.

• Thanks 1

I finally finished S. 4 of The Sopranos. I disliked this season a lot the first time I saw it. The Joey Pants stuff was great, everything seemed to pale in comparison, especially the marriage trouble between Tony and Carmela. I was so very wrong. The season is excellent. Ralphie is still the best of the season, but the rest of it is a lot stronger than I remember it being.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

He's going to be sitting back and thinking, "Man, if I had just not tried to be a host, I'd still have a job..."  Not like anybody was looking into his background before Alex died.  But once he interjected himself as a possible host replacement...

It's almost a Greek tragedy... Except fuck him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

They also didn't fully cover up his gray hairs.  Good for him losing weight though.

It makes me think about how *everyone* looked dramatically older in El Camino. I understand that with some of this stuff, it is what it is, but it can be jarring. Glad you stuck with the show, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomAct said:

It makes me think about how *everyone* looked dramatically older in El Camino. I understand that with some of this stuff, it is what it is, but it can be jarring. Glad you stuck with the show, though.

Word.  I knew Todd was a bad guy but I didn't know he ate his enemies.  It looked like the weight Huell lost moved over to him.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

At the end of June they announced they were going on a 3 month hiatus, possibly coming back in Studio but with a bunch of stuff retooled.  Noah's still doing Twitter and Podcast stuff for Daily Show in the interim.

Why must you crush my hopes and dreams like this.  I was very much hoping that Trevor Noah was gone from tv's everywhere for good.  

Next you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus, aren't you?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I thought they did a pretty good job with most everybody other than Todd.  Nothing they could do about somebody being that much heavier other than just ignore it.

Heads up: What We Do In the Shadows is finally back on, started with two episodes last Thursday. Just noticed it on my DVR (it was picking up old ones so was ignoring it). 

EDIT: Wait, the Godfather spinoff is about the actual making of The Godfather? That's... something.

Edited by Curt McGirt

“The Cloak of Duplication” was a really funny episode, but something weird I noticed: When Colin and Guillermo are impersonating Nandor, they dub the actors’ voices over Kayvan Novak’s performance. It’s clearly their voices. But when Laszlo is disguised as Nandor, it sounds more like Novak doing a vocal impersonation of Matt Berry.

Makes me wonder if the original idea was for Novak to do impressions of everybody but the other two weren’t good enough. It’s either that or Matt Berry had COVID when they brought him in for ADR on this episode.

Not 100% why but fell down a rabbit hole of watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. I think youtube recommended one with Sean Locke and Isy Suttie, and i ended up watching like a dozen episodes (with generous FF action).  Wonder how a weird hybrid of word ans math puzzles would work on US tv. Dont think its been imported with American comedians. Bring in Winnie Cooper to be Rachel Riley. 

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Not 100% why but fell down a rabbit hole of watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. I think youtube recommended one with Sean Locke and Isy Suttie, and i ended up watching like a dozen episodes (with generous FF action).  Wonder how a weird hybrid of word ans math puzzles would work on US tv. Dont think its been imported with American comedians. Bring in Winnie Cooper to be Rachel Riley. 

Years ago, they had an American contestant on regular (ie: Civilian contestants actually competing, not comedians messing about) Countdown. Richard Whitely (RIP) who was hosting then, asked him if the show format would ever get picked up by TV in the USA, and the American said it wouldn't, because the game would be too hard for American viewers to follow.

The first thing a US version do would be make it a digital clock. 

It is funny how most of the panel game shows never came over. I can see QI being too smart for US TV, but some of the others I could see working here, at least on a niche cable channel. 

Since you said "game shows" - the US version of Taskmaster (though still using Alex Horne) did not do well.

But I feel like that is more Comedy Central's fault than anything

OH! And that reminds me, The Wheel (the game show hosted by Michael McIntyre) got a 10 episode run ordered by NBC that will air sometime in 2022.

McIntyre will be the host of that version too. (Interesting to see who they use as the celebrities)

Speaking of Comedy Central, The Daily Show is coming back on Monday, Sept. 13th! (Meanwhile Colbert has decided to go on hiatus for another two weeks so maybe they're switching schedules.) This will give a clear boost to their schedule of showing nothing but South Park, The Office, one day where they show The Cleveland Show, one day where they show movies, and random episodes of Parks and Red and Schitt's Creek at 4 in the morning. 

Oh and I guess Awkwafina and Charlemagne tha God's new shows if they count. There's a Ilana Glaser Presents random standups special on Friday night too, if you're that desperate for entertainment.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of Comedy Central, The Daily Show is coming back on Monday, Sept. 13th! (Meanwhile Colbert has decided to go on hiatus for another two weeks so maybe they're switching schedules.) This will give a clear boost to their schedule of showing nothing but South Park, The Office, one day where they show The Cleveland Show, one day where they show movies, and random episodes of Parks and Red and Schitt's Creek at 4 in the morning. 

Oh and I guess Awkwafina and Charlemagne tha God's new shows if they count. There's a Ilana Glaser Presents random standups special on Friday night too, if you're that desperate for entertainment.

Nora From Queens is a hilarious show, I won't hear slander of it. I much rather watch that than the shell that the Daily Show has become. Trevor Noah just isn't that great.  For that matter, neither is Colbert. But that's down to my political ideology and we won't get into that (and I also just don't either of them that funny, but anyway).

What's the Charlemagne show? Him and Comedy Central seems like a WEIRD fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

What's the Charlemagne show? Him and Comedy Central seems like a WEIRD fit.

“Tha God’s Honest Truth With Lenard ‘Charlamagne’ McKelvey.” The weekly half-hour show, to premiere Sept. 17 at 10 p.m. ET, promises to revolve around Charlamagne’s “culturally fluent take on social issues” and also feature sketches, interviews and “social experiments.”

Dammit - hit reply too quickly. In regards to why Comedy Central?

Charlamagne, aka Lenard McKelvey, had short-lived roles on talk and comedy shows for MTV and MTV2 a decade ago, a which allowed him to build a relationship with Chris McCarthy, the longtime MTV executive who now oversees Comedy Central and other ViacomCBS brands as president-CEO of MTV Entertainment Group.