DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: Lisey's Story, apparently on a Reddit thing King said it was his favorite out of ALL his novels. That covers a lot of ground. 

Re: Addams Family, I just remembered how great it was to revisit the film as the last feature I saw at the Art Theater before it closed, and now I want Tim Burton to be locked in a box and dropped to the bottom of the ocean before revisiting the property. I don't know if I should feel better or worse that it's a TV series instead of a movie. The series shows up on my DVR weekly even though I never watch it. 

I still marvel at how incredibly good Addams Family is given that it should have by all rights been a disaster: a family comedy based on a 25 year old sitcom starring mostly non-comedic actors directed by a first-timer.

• Like 2

Chloe Bennet is out of the proposed live-action Powerpuff Girls reboot.  Her role is going to be recast before the pilot is reshot.  CW passed on the pilot back in May, but asked the creators to retool the show and shoot a second pilot.  

Lol, I don't blame Bennet.  The show sounds like a gamble and, if the script that leaked on the internet was real, the pilot was probably really awful.

• Like 1

Official Character descriptions (except for Hillary Duff's character)

official character descriptions are listed below:

Lowell’s Jesse – “an aspiring musician who works as an Uber driver to make ends meet. He’s smart, edgy and cynical about love.”
Raisa’s Valentina – “Sophie’s roommate, who’s an aspiring stylist. She’s impulsive and adventurous, and brings back a gorgeous Brit by the name of Charlie after returning from London Fashion Week in the beginning of the series.”
Ainsley’s Charlie – “an up-and-coming model, who fell head over heels in love with Valentina and followed her to New York. Charlie’s the son of posh, conservative British aristocrats, so he’s been living in the happy bubble of the rich his whole life.”
Tran’s Ellen – “Jesse’s adopted sister, who just moved to New York from a small farming town after separating from her wife, and doesn’t quite fit into the Brooklyn scene.”
Sharma’s Sid – “Jesse’s best friend and roommate. A new bar owner, he is the optimist to Jesse’s negativity.”

Oh what could've been... If David Caruso hadn't such an inflated ego John kelly would've gone down as a top 5 TV Cop, but thank god that didn't happen because  then NYPD Blue would've a totally different show. A different animal altogether. We ould've been denied Dennis Franz being incredible on my screen for 12 years

James

Not that it matters, but my friend is in that TV series somewhere. I don't think I'll watch it, but I'm happy for my friend anyway.

Also, Reservation Dogs was everything I hoped it would be. First two episodes were really, really good.

I didn't know I needed a Christmas episode in the middle of July, but that episode of Ted Lasso was what I needed after a bad couple of mental health weeks. I loved the tease of Ted having another meltdown, only to swerve it into something really heartwarming.

• Like 1

I haven't been talking about Ted Lasso because if I'm paying for a streaming service, I don't want shit to be released weekly like I have a cable subscription. I get WHY they do it, but it's not what I want. So I'm waiting until the entire season is available, and then I'll binge it. That's what I did with S2 of Mythic Quest, too. Which wasn't as good as the first season, but it was still pretty good.

Back to the Sopranos talk - I'm on the last half of the 6th season, and 6A and what I've seen of 6B haven't been all that great compared to other seasons. Kind of just spinning its wheels at this point waiting for the series finale, in my opinion. Maybe 6B gets better, but I'm on the 5th episode and it's not my favorite season (but it's also not the "worst").

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Spoilering some Sopranos just in case Casey doesn't want to see.

Reveal hidden contents

Given how some of the show's plotting has hit them, I'm interested in seeing how they respond to the next episode: Kennedy and Heidi...

only 12 minutes in and GODDAMNIT.

EDIT: immediate thoughts about the series finale? Fuuuuck that shit.

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I haven't been talking about Ted Lasso because if I'm paying for a streaming service, I don't want shit to be released weekly like I have a cable subscription. I get WHY they do it, but it's not what I want. So I'm waiting until the entire season is available, and then I'll binge it. That's what I did with S2 of Mythic Quest, too. Which wasn't as good as the first season, but it was still pretty good.

Back to the Sopranos talk - I'm on the last half of the 6th season, and 6A and what I've seen of 6B haven't been all that great compared to other seasons. Kind of just spinning its wheels at this point waiting for the series finale, in my opinion. Maybe 6B gets better, but I'm on the 5th episode and it's not my favorite season (but it's also not the "worst").

I actually prefer the weekly releases, just so it stays in the conversation longer. I'd hate think about something like Wandavision or Loki all dropping at once, and we're done talking about it after a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/14/2021 at 10:31 AM, RandomAct said:

I actually prefer the weekly releases, just so it stays in the conversation longer. I'd hate think about something like Wandavision or Loki all dropping at once, and we're done talking about it after a week.

I was late to Netflix and got used to Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the Defenders all dropping at once unlike Disney + when it's one episode a week. I think I prefer it for the reasons you give and you look forward to the next episode though sometimes the week's wait feels even longer. Makes sense to spread it out as well to keep the subscription rolling in.

I feel like it’s probably not a great indicator for HEELS that apparently nobody on this wrestling message board has cared enough to watch or talk about it in the past 24 hours.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like it’s probably not a great indicator for HEELS that apparently nobody on this wresting message board has cared enough to watch or talk about it in the past 24 hours.

Who wants to watch fake fake wrestling? Good reviews so far though. 

and don’t mention GLOW. That was fake fake fake wrestling. Totally different.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I feel like it’s probably not a great indicator for HEELS that apparently nobody on this wrestling message board has cared enough to watch or talk about it in the past 24 hours.

Personally, I thought the trailer looked really unappealing.  

I haven't read any full reviews of it, but judging by the scores in bold print and the headlines of the reviews I have seen, it's reviewing well.  

I'll probably give it a try eventually, but it will be a while.

My wife has been watching Yellowstone (I have not). She was talking this weekend about how many shows/movies have the driving thing behind the plot being "it's family!" We both agreed that we're tired of that as the point of a show. I think that's why I'm resistant to Heels. It looks like another "family fights over ______" show. I just watch these things and think, man I'd be out of that mess as soon as possible.

After watching the first two seasons back when they first aired, decided to pick up with season 3 and start catching up on Fear the Walking Dead. Still a pretty up and down show, but season 3 and now season 4 have been a marked improvement over what I remember from the first 2 seasons.

But what I really want to talk about is how it is pretty clear (and awesome) that someone on the production team is a big Deadwood fan. Beyond Kim Dickens as the star, you have Charlie Utter and Reverend Smith becoming major characters in season 3 and now Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott have both shown up in season 4.

Show might not be much but I'll stick with it if they keep coming