DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

18 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The next Jeopardy host will be...Mike Richards. He's the EP of Jeopardy and one of the execs in charge of the search for a new host.

No one except for Mike Richards is particularly happy about this.

I've heard he did a good job as the host but...yeah.  Weird that they wouldn't pick Jennings when he's been the one everybody wants even after learning about his problematic tweets.

I would have said that LeVar Burton was the consensus favorite, but I guess it depends on who you're talking to.

Richards has pretty clearly been angling to host a major game show for like a decade now so good for him, I guess?

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I thought Bill Whittaker did as good a job as anyone.  I didn't think Levar was particularly good at all.  Only other person who stood out as a good pick to me was Mayim Bialik.

My mom, who loves the show and watched all the guests, said Burton was terrible. She's pulling for Jennings. 

Edited by Tabe

I'm about done with Season 4 of The Sopranos and holy shit Carmella has just become so unlikeable in the last few episodes. This shit with Furio is just... ugh. I also hate Tony's sister, but I think I'm supposed to hate her, right?

That intervention episode was super uncomfortable.

My only qualm with this show, so far, is that when people get killed, it's way later than it should be and it's not as satisfying as a result (or the person gets killed by someone else, and it just sucks).

• Like 2

Since I know a few folks around here watched - reportedly (via EW) Roku is going to pick up Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist for a 2 hour wrap up movie.

And the potential would be there that if the movie did well, it could be picked up for another season

• Like 1

Carmela (until I watched with the subs on I never knew there's only one 'L' in her name) gets less annoying after Tony's out of the house. Then again I had the benefit of foreknowledge of the series and skipped past a lot of stuff on the last revisit. Janice, you're always supposed to hate. Conniving and disingenuous at every turn. 

Personally I thought the intervention was HILARIOUS. "You had your head in the toilet and your hair was hanging in the toilet water. Disgusting." ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Casey said:

My only qualm with this show, so far, is that when people get killed, it's way later than it should be and it's not as satisfying as a result (or the person gets killed by someone else, and it just sucks).

Not a killing, but I will note that Livia's death was written into the show as a result of Nancy Marchand dying before filming on season three had begun. So that one was out of their hands. 

Can't recall whether or not they had an "in memory of" type message at the end of that episode. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

On 8/5/2021 at 2:48 PM, Contentious C said:

I thought Bill Whittaker did as good a job as anyone.  I didn't think Levar was particularly good at all.  Only other person who stood out as a good pick to me was Mayim Bialik.

Bialik was supposedly the other person in serious contention.  Couple articles I read mentioned audiences didn't love Burton and that he struggled to find the right tone.  

Surprised at the lack of Ted Lasso talk, but the second season has been really good. I like how all of the main characters have changed and evolved in natural ways, and the sports psychologist is a nice tough. Today's episode was one of the better in the series.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Surprised at the lack of Ted Lasso talk, but the second season has been really good. I like how all of the main characters have changed and evolved in natural ways, and the sports psychologist is a nice tough. Today's episode was one of the better in the series.

Ending to last week's episode had me immediately ready for more. Excited to watch it later. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm about done with Season 4 of The Sopranos and holy shit Carmella has just become so unlikeable in the last few episodes. This shit with Furio is just... ugh. I also hate Tony's sister, but I think I'm supposed to hate her, right?

That intervention episode was super uncomfortable.

The only season of the show I disliked was the fourth. At the beginning of it so my opinion may change. Janice was always cringy until she got with Bobby, for the simple fact that Bobby is so likeable it makes you overlook his baby mama's flaws.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, driver said:

The only season of the show I disliked was the fourth. At the beginning of it so my opinion may change. Janice was always cringy until she got with Bobby, for the simple fact that Bobby is so likeable it makes you overlook his baby mama's flaws.

Yeah I'm on the 5th season now, and the 4th was probably my least favorite so far, especially the last few episodes.

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not a killing, but I will note that Livia's death was written into the show as a result of Nancy Marchand dying before filming on season three had begun. So that one was out of their hands. 

Can't recall whether or not they had an "in memory of" type message at the end of that episode. 

I didn't know the actress actually died, I just assumed they finally decided to end that storyline. It was kind of sudden, though. And I didn't really enjoy the whole Livia vs Tony stuff, especially when Uncle Jun was being a sneaky fuck when he was around her. I'm not sure if they had an In Memorium message at the end, I usually immediately click on the next episode once the first credit appears.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Carmela (until I watched with the subs on I never knew there's only one 'L' in her name) gets less annoying after Tony's out of the house. Then again I had the benefit of foreknowledge of the series and skipped past a lot of stuff on the last revisit. Janice, you're always supposed to hate. Conniving and disingenuous at every turn. 

Personally I thought the intervention was HILARIOUS. "You had your head in the toilet and your hair was hanging in the toilet water. Disgusting." ?

It was funny, but it was kind of uncomfortable because, y'know, it's an intervention. And the fact that Christopher killed that dog and didn't even realize he was sitting on her, so disturbing.

The deaths I'm referring to in my original post - I'm sure everyone knows which two I'm talking about, but...

Spoiler

Ralphie and Richie. The only "satisfying" kill was Pussy, but even then, I didn't like that it turned out he was a rat all of a sudden. No build up to it really, just S2E1, boom, Pussy is a rat and we're on a collision course to the confrontation.

8 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I think the only "this guy needs to die" character who should've gone sooner was Ralphie and I say this as a longtime Joey Pants fan

James

Yeah, Ralphie was an example of someone who needed to die sooner, and Richie was someone who was an example of how unsatisfying his death was because of who did it and what happened.

Colbie Smulders will be playing Ann Coulter in Impeachment: American Crime Story

She is replacing Betty Gilpin who had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts due to the pandemic

Dish just cut a deal with HBO so there's a free week of HBO (and Cinemax) on there right now. What should I watch? We cut it off when we had DirecTV right around the time The Deuce was getting going, so I thought about watching some of that. Is there any True Detective post-season 1 worth its salt? How about documentaries, because there are a slew of them? Sadly I do not see Mortal Kombat (or the Sopranos movie though I'm not surprised) on there yet. Last night I was surprised by a recommend for Boardwalk Empire so I watched the series finale for the first time since it aired; it's still really good.