DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I also thought HACKS was just okay.  I mean, I enjoyed it and I will watch next season, but it really wasn’t all that funny to me.  Just kind of a chuckler. Seems like one of those shows that’s only really funny to people who work in/around the entertainment/comedy industry.  Like, the show seemed to think all the stuff with the agent and his assistant was just Hilarious, but it mostly wasn’t to me—probably because I’ve never been involved with a talent agency.

33 minutes ago, EVA said:

I also thought HACKS was just okay.  I mean, I enjoyed it and I will watch next season, but it really wasn’t all that funny to me.  Just kind of a chuckler. Seems like one of those shows that’s only really funny to people who work in/around the entertainment/comedy industry.  Like, the show seemed to think all the stuff with the agent and his assistant was just Hilarious, but it mostly wasn’t to me—probably because I’ve never been involved with a talent agency.

I thought nearly every character was incredibly annoying. Ava may be the most self-centered and unlikable character since all of the characters from Girls.

As to Odessa's question, I don't know if I'd count Ballers as a comedy. Hacks actually feels a little like Ballers in that ultimately, nothing bad is going to happen to any of these characters. They're all going to win. That was all Ballers was and before that, that's what Entourage was.

Holy shit...Hacks really is probably the next step in that Entourage to Ballers lineage, especially if they start bringing in lots of famous people for cameos.

Longer trailer for Heels

This is the Starz wrestling TV drama staring Stephen Amell

A tiny person using a rana to end a bar fight sure is something

We've got Starz, Showtime, and Paramount+ for another month or so and watched what we planned to watch. It was a Prime deal so it was two months of each for a dollar a month each and we made it through Discovery S4, American Gods S3, and City on a Hill S2. Any suggestions on what we watch next on any of them? I'm thinking The Good Lord Bird but that won't take us that long. What else?

Yeah. Mare of Eastown indeed doesn't go to crap. It left my wife and I really shocked.

I'm also re-watching the first two seasons of His Dark Materials with my daughter and it's still so fucking good. I can't wait for the final season. Also, I'm bummed there's only one season left, but I'd rather they stick with the three and not delve into any of the other stuff.

Well I'll be damned, I just came in here to post about that since I decided to knock it out right before Dynamite. 

My reaction is the same. Hahaha...

Spoiler

I still wanna know how he set the guy on fire. He had to have seen something hanging on the ceiling to use. 

You think he ever comes back for his buddy? Waiting on Ray would be like, as Omar said about Brother Mouzone, waiting to see if the sun was gonna come out in the morning. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, driver said:

Holy fuck, the ending of Mr. Inbetween. 

..........*smiles* "Run"

I popped so much for that smile. I never thought the Magician would give it all up and seeing those dudes get in the cab at the end let me know right away that would be the case. The dad in me was really sad about how things end with his daughter. He's still in her life and all, but it's different now and anything with kids, daughters in particular, makes me think of what my life would be like if that happened to my daughter and me.

I'm going to miss the series, but I appreciate it there being a logical stopping point for it.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:59 PM, odessasteps said:

It's a little disheartening how little recognition it gets, compared to other stuff. 

It's only going to be three seasons, so that's easier to pull off than some epic thing with 6 or more seasons, but I feel like this adaptation of His Dark Materials is probably my favorite fantasy TV series ever. It's at least the most well done and I've loved everything so far.

So that is really the end? Shit. 

I highly doubt he's really gonna be an actual cabbie the rest of his life. Ray is Ray. He's probably already independently wealthy anyway, so the cab thing had to be a ruse to get to those guys. It's probably a friggin' contract he's fulfilling FFS, if it's not two of the bikies that were after him, and if it was the bikies it was definitely a ruse. 

EDIT: Hold on, I got Craig's His Dark Materials post mixed in with the Mr. Inbetween talk. So we will probably get another season of Mr. Inbetween, hopefully. And yeah those two passengers are very, very dead.

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

So that is really the end? Shit. 

I highly doubt he's really gonna be an actual cabbie the rest of his life. Ray is Ray. He's probably already independently wealthy anyway, so the cab thing had to be a ruse to get to those guys. It's probably a friggin' contract he's fulfilling FFS, if it's not two of the bikies that were after him, and if it was the bikies it was definitely a ruse. 

EDIT: Hold on, I got Craig's His Dark Materials post mixed in with the Mr. Inbetween talk. So we will probably get another season of Mr. Inbetween, hopefully. And yeah those two passengers are very, very dead.

No. Mr. Inbetween is done. That was the series finale. There's nowhere else to go really. He's down to one friend left and his daughter now. Anyone he's loved he's either pushed away or they were taken from him. And the series finale shows us that no matter how much Ray tries to avoid trouble, trouble is always going to find him, and that's fine because he'll be fine.

Oh yeah, that one friend left actually got his shit together and looks like he's becoming successful in his career. Everyone has moved on, turned on him, or is growing up. And those are the people left in his life. He abandoned everyone else long before as witnessed by him jumping from school to the military and no one at the reunion remembering him.

Man, that's all pretty heartbreaking ?

• Like 1

Well, there's no way it was gonna end positively. To be realistic we should be happy his daughter wasn't kidnapped or worse. 

Anywho, here's The Magician, the pre-film of Mr. Inbetween, in full: 

I can't tell whether it's a little zoomed or not, haven't watched it in awhile. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the first episode of 100 FOOT WAVE on HBO. Kind of a spiritual successor to FREE SOLO, as a breathtakingly shot portrait of a dude with some issues who is chasing his doom via a weirdly specific athletic obsession for little apparent reason. I’m not sure there’s 6 episodes here, I’m in for now.

I mean... I'll watch it, but I don't have high hopes. Apparently John Lithgow and Jennifer Carpenter have cameo appearances as Trinity Killer and Debra respectively, probably in the same way James Remar was Harry Morgan, flashbacks etc.

I'm torn on this one. Rather Showtime had put in the effort to convince David Lynch for S4 of Twin Peaks but whatever.