DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Next-to-last (for the season... I guess) Mayans just aired

Spoiler

Galindo finally finally finally decided to kill his annoying wife, went through with it... then saved her. Goddammit. 

And the prospect got his patch and then promptly shot himself in the mouth in front of everyone over the guilt he felt for killing that other guy. Which you could see from ten miles away. They also shitcanned Coco who looks like he's gonna get castrated? or something by the meth people. 

So, eventful. But the big thing here --and this is for all you SOA fans -- is that they brought up Chuckie (you remember, with the fake hands) and revealed, in the middle of a bar conversation mind you, that he MET SOMEONE, FELL IN LOVE, and THEY MOVED TO OHIO. Which is a hilariously random send-off for a very long-running character. 

Now the question is, who is this person. Seriously. 

• Like 1

Could go in the Comics stuff, but I'm not a fan of thread necros... but Jupiter's Legacy is reeeeeeally scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's official, superheroes are empty signifiers. Does make me wonder if the books were any good, but given we just got Invincible, who needed this?

On 5/9/2021 at 8:55 PM, Contentious C said:

Could go in the Comics stuff, but I'm not a fan of thread necros... but Jupiter's Legacy is reeeeeeally scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's official, superheroes are empty signifiers. Does make me wonder if the books were any good, but given we just got Invincible, who needed this?

I tried giving Jupiter's Legacy a shot, but...man...I started it right after Invincible and immediately thought that Jupiter's Legacy was fucking dogshit. It's also running into Shadow and Bone, which is also excellent. Jupiter's Legacy just looks and sounds like some bootleg crap.

I suppose I'll finish it up, but it's really just as mediocre as you can get.  Spends way too much time on the Superman-wannabe, played by Josh Duhamel, aka, "we couldn't get Josh Brolin so we got this hack to do his voice, pretty much", with this annoying slow burn of revealing how they got their powers in a series of flashbacks.  Clearly intending to tie off both the present-day story and the origin story at the same time with the final episode, which is just a waste of time. It feels like the sort of thing that should have been wrapped up in a single episode so that more time could be spent on the characters who are actually interesting, like his daughter and the son of the Batman-wannabe.   Plus, there are a bunch of other tangential characters whose powers and relationships amount to background noise, rather than being given any clear reason for mattering within the context of the larger story.  I'm not sure they could have plotted and scripted this worse if they tried.

Mayans season finale

Spoiler

ended with the clubhouse under siege by a ton of other Mayans. Plus, Coco shot Meth Jesus* in the throat and we don't know if he's dead, so that's another gang after the club probably. The old man got to EZ's gal and she left him; Galindo's wife figured out what he did and she left him. Plus he's on the run from both governments now because of some convoluted shit that I don't understand or remember. And, in the grand SOA/Mayans tradition, there was a bombing completed with no apparent witnesses or police visits. 

*who was listening to Rollins Band in his trailer

Meanwhile, Mr. Inbetween is back on FX with a two episode premier May 25th.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

?

Twin Spires had to issue a statement that winnings would not have to be paid back if the race results were invalidated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Twin Spires had to issue a statement that winnings would not have to be paid back if the race results were invalidated.

I really think they don't give a shit.

The owner blaming "cancel culture" is hilarious. I wonder how he feels about Lance Armstrong...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Raziel said:

Is it a cast reunion where they just shoot the shit, or is it an actual "episode"?

I suspect it'll be just like the Fresh Prince reunion - that one was set at the mansion, this one is set at Central Perk. No idea why Lady Gaga and BTS are in it, though. That points to it being an episode somehow, but everything I've read about it indicates it's just a "sit and talk" thing.

Regarding the Friends reunion - this was from Entertainment Weekly last month

What will the reunion be like?
HBO Max loves keeping the full details of the special under wraps more than the Friends group loves their Central Perk couch, but here's what we do know: It's not going to be a revival episode. The reunion will be unscripted, so the six actors won't be reprising their roles for any new scenes. They will instead be participating in a talk-show-style conversation looking back on their memories of filming the show and more. Schwimmer confirmed that in an interview on The Graham Norton Show, but he did tease that "there is one section I don't want to give away where we all read something." So take that as you will!

Shot over three days, the reunion will also include iconic props and set pieces along with some behind-the-scenes footage to excite everyone from the casual Friends viewers to the most passionate fans. Before the pandemic derailed the original plans for the taping, the idea was to reunite the Friends cast and creators on the show's original soundstage in front of a live studio audience, just like how the show was always filmed. Due to COVID precautions, that might have been changed.