DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 hours ago, peterien said:

Ted fucking Lasso, I know I’m going to get crushed at some point but I am here for the ride. 

You are not going to get crushed. You're going to be happy as hell like the rest of us. Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Dad Stop Embarrassing Me

I can't explain to you why but David Alan Grier playing Jamie Foxx's dad is the thing that had made me feel the oldest I have in a really long time

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, driver said:

It all depends on your feelings about Patton Oswalt as Constable Bob and Jim Norton as the big bad.

What's Jim Norton like these days? When I think of him, I mostly think about O&A and "edgy"/brutally outdated 90s-00s humor. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dad Stop Embarrassing Me

I can't explain to you why but David Alan Grier playing Jamie Foxx's dad is the thing that had made me feel the oldest I have in a really long time

They’re 11 years apart, which is more than I thought, but I guess Foxx was pretty young on In Living Color.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, christopher.annino said:

What's Jim Norton like these days? When I think of him, I mostly think about O&A and "edgy"/brutally outdated 90s-00s humor. 

Norton does a show with Sam Roberts(the bearded weasel from WWE pre-shows) but has probably had more exposure as Chip Chipperson in the past year when he was on a comedy competition show on TBS.

• Like 1

This past week I've watched a few things, post-Ozark:

Ted Lasso is alright. It's funny, but I'm not really seeing the hype. I see Bill Lawrence created this, and I was never a huge Scrubs guy either, so.

Mythic Quest is far better, IMO, and probably gives you an insight into what type of comedy based show I'd prefer watching. And no, this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Ashly Burch is on the show. Not at all! Charlotte Nicdao is great in this show, I love her.

And finally... I binged The Crown in 4 days last week. I like it a lot, but I have no general opinions on it since it's based on history, other than the fact that the idea of a monarchy still existing in 2021 is weird. Within this show, Tobias Menzies absolutely crushes Matt Smith's Prince Philip. Joshua O'Connor as Prince Charles is so fucking annoying and childish. Emma Corrin might as well be a clone of Princess Diana, it's weird. Olivia Colman & Claire Foy are both outstanding in their roles as Queen Elizabeth, great stuff.

--

All in all, I've determined that if it wasn't for buying a new iPhone, I would have never considered Apple TV as a service to pay for, and I still wouldn't. Once my free 6 months or whatever is up, I won't be going back - even for more Mythic Quest (luckily S2 is two months or something, I think). Just not enough interesting shows or movies on there to hold my interest. Am I right in saying they basically only have Apple TV originals and a literal handful of existing programming that they bought the rights to (Peanuts, etc)? No thanks.

I'm hyped for S5 of The Crown next year or whenever.

Finished Law and Order: UK this morning.  Acorn has been adding the show one season at a time over the past several weeks.  I enjoy almost anything L&O-related, but this didn't do much for me.  Wish I had like it more.  Had a great cast, especially at the beginning, and Bradley Walsh-Jamie Bamber had great chemistry as the cop pair.

Basically, the show never found it's own identity.  Weirdly, instead of writing original scripts, they worked from scripts written for the US show during the front half of it's 20-year run.  I recognized some plots just from the three sentence synopsis given by the online channel guide.  But, instead of just localizing the American scripts, they made substantial changes to the plots and outcomes.  So the end result is an awkward homage/mishmash of the American show with new material.

It didn't work for me.  Cherry-picking well-known scripts from the US run and trying to shoehorn original characters and plot twists around them hampered continuity and character development (the scripts seemed picked at random at random from 10+ seasons of the original show).  And the changes made often weakened the material, imo.  The show ran four about four years and 50-55 eps.   Two of the cast members died on the job, and one well-known script was rewritten so that the murderer was a cast member's father.  Oh, and another script was altered so that the assistant prosecutor secretly recorded herself being raped by a doctor.  I'm never fond of those sort of "crime investigator becomes crime victim" contrivances.  

The thing that really stood out for me is how weak some of the changes were.  Bradley Walsh's character is obviously based on Lenny Briscoe (played by the late, great Jerry Orbach).  Briscoe was a recovering alcoholic, so, they made Walsh's character a recovering.... drug addict.

Bradley Walsh is a stout, grandfatherly 50-something.  I could buy him and the character as an alcoholic.  I didn't buy him as a drug addict, particularly in an early scene where he talks about hanging out in a flophouse drug den to score his next fix.  I can understand why they didn't walk to write him as an alcoholic, but the change seemed really off the wall and never came off as believable to me.  As little as it figured into the show, there are a lot of addictions that could have been subbed in more believably.  Gambling addiction would probably have seemed more credible, though maybe that was off the table since Jessie Martin's character was a gambler.    

The first two years are fun just to watch the cast work.  

I am digging Condor so far.  It is a modern retelling of Three Days of the Condor which is based on the novel, Six Days of the Condor.  There are two seasons already in the can, but it is just now debuting on Epix.

After years of playing goofy heroes, I did not expect elder statesman Brendan Fraser to portray such a convincing villain.   Dude is fucking scary.

Edited by J.T.

I never watched Party Down but we recently grabbed a month of Starz, and it's probably even funnier to watch now considering how much bigger some of the cast/guest stars got. Hilarious shit, and made me mention The State to my wife for the billionth time. Apparently they have The State on Paramount+, so maybe I'll grab the 30-day trial so she can finally see the stupid show I bring up any time more than two alumni are in something we're watching. 

Also really liked Close Enough on HBO. It's basically Regular Show but with human characters and an R rating, but it's sometimes as good as Regular Show (which I never finished with the whole space thing).

On 3/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, Casey said:

Ted Lasso is alright. It's funny, but I'm not really seeing the hype. I see Bill Lawrence created this, and I was never a huge Scrubs guy either, so.

Mythic Quest is far better, IMO, and probably gives you an insight into what type of comedy based show I'd prefer watching. And no, this doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Ashly Burch is on the show. Not at all! Charlotte Nicdao is great in this show, I love her.

I really enjoyed Ted Lasso fwiw, but man, Mythic Quest is also great. I've been in a real funk the past couple months due to situations beyond my control and have had a really hard time watching any sort of comedy or action because I'm just not in the right headspace for it. Still, decided to take a chance on Mythic Quest based on your rec here and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Finished episode 5 last night, and while eps 1-4 were all really good, that standalone was fantastic. Cheers for the recommendation and I'll second it for anyone else who has not given it a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Dark Quiet Death was my favorite episode, maybe because it came after 4 episodes of the type of comedy that we've come to expect from the people behind It's Always Sunny. I love Jake Johnson to death, too. It all makes sense once you complete the season as to why that episode is included in the season. Despite loving the episode, I was left wondering why it was included for quite a few episodes.

There is a great unionization episode somewhere late in the season that's just fantastic, too.

• Like 1

Turns out TJ Miller isn't the only POS that was on Silicon Valley.

There's also a gross Playboy interview where he talks about his then-wife, and admits to telling her (after they got married) that they needed to have an open relationship because he wanted to be a swinger. 

• Like 2