DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if anyone watched it around here but it has come out that Kim's Convivence will end with its upcoming 5th season

Basically the co-creators decided to move onto other things and the producers decided they couldn't continue the show

Yeah. It’s a real shame. That and Derry Girls are basically the only sitcoms we watch.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure if anyone watched it around here but it has come out that Kim's Convivence will end with its upcoming 5th season

Is that an autocorrect? What sort of autocorrect suggests "convivence"? I didn't even know that was a word until I googled it.

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I think I'll stick with Warrior and Wu Assassins.

I'm not exactly holding my breath on either getting another season (unless HBO decides to move all Cinemax's originals into HBO Max's house.)

I signed up for a free month of Paramount+ and watched the first two episodes of the Real World Reunion and season one up to the lost dog episode(the big Julie-Kevin fight is next). The reunion has been interesting but they're spreading the "what's this cast member been doing the past 30 years" over multiple episodes which kind of sucks. Eric had COVID so he was FaceTiming in from a hotel, since sobering up he's gotten into a bunch of new age stuff to the point it seemed almost like a parody, really you'd think he was Hansel from Zoolander. So far nothing really shocking from Julie, Heather, Kevin, Norman or Andre in the past 30 years, now Becky that's a different story. In episode 2 she sings a song she wrote about...

Spoiler

the 8th cast member, at first I thought it was about Norman's dog or the director she hooked up with, no it was about John Lennon, it wasn't some sort of tribute to John Lennon, she revealed that in 1987 during some Ouija fun in college John Lennon(yes that John Lennon) contacted her and they communicated until 2002. The cast mates in the room had no clue on how to react, some were nice about it and some just started to look at their phones, Eric via FaceTime was trying not to laugh and then kayfabed up and said something about how he was in contact with the spirit world since he was a kid. Becky is also heavy into "Energy Healing" and her "what's going on with me now" segment also seems like a parody.

The re-watch of season 1 has been fun and it's been nostalgic in a good way, since it's a great time capsule of that era along with bringing back memories of people I knew who were similar to the cast members. It's also interesting to watch since they were still figuring things out, they really hit the jackpot by casting Julie, Heather and Kevin, without those three I don't think the show survives. They have most of the seasons on Paramount+ and I'm going to try and get though the LA and London seasons, not sure if I'll watch San Francisco since it's going to be a rough watch due to knowing Pedro's fate, all of Puck's bs and the rest of the cast being extremely boring.

Edited by Mister TV

I feel like the entire first Real World cast growing up to be weird old hippies is stately predictable. Heather B is pretty much the only one I've paid any attention to since the show originally aired,  and she's kind of the exact same person in a good way. 

I finished up my binge of Real World seasons 1 & 2, as I said above the show is a really good time capsule of that era, not just in the fashions and music but how everyone used to interact, how topics were viewed and you really see the passive apathy of Gen X(I'm a Gen X'er).

I picked season 1 back up with the big Julie-Kevin argument, first no camera's were rolling! The argument just like the Kevin-Eric one was over normal old school roommate bs(Eric's sister staying over without asking everyone & Julie picking up on the one phone line that Kevin was using), Kevin was smart enough to understand the platform he had on that show and tried to turn both arguments into ones about race, it somewhat worked in the one with Eric but not in the one with Julie. The Kevin-Becky argument about race is the one that should be looked back on more than the other two. 

On Paramount+ Season 2 has the original music while season 1 has only sound-a-like instrumental versions, wow were the season 2 music choices way to spot on and ham fisted, Jon is uptight about sex and Dom tells him to "free his mind" and "Free Your Mind" by En Vouge kicks in, Irene leaves at 5am for work and as she's walking to her car they play "There She Goes" by The La's, it's like that the entire season. They really dodged a bullet that David didn't punch Jon over styrofoam in one of the first episodes, that he didn't punch Beth when things were heated after the whole trying to pull the blanket off of Tami incident and that they kicked him out before something worse happened, the show could have easily been done with if someone was physically assaulted in that early stage(later on they seemed to encourage it). Beth S compared what David did to a rape(Tami was saying NO & STOP and David didn't), David and then Aaron twisted it into Beth S called David a rapist, then tried to lay a guilt trip on Beth S, the sad thing is that's not some reality tv bs, it's how a lot of men back then and now react to violence against women. The comments by some of the "supportive" cast members(Glen & Beth S) when Tami had an abortion were really shocking, they were basically the anti-choice talking points.

On the lighter side the fashion changes from 1992 New York to 1993 Los Angeles was pretty severe. In season 1 Kevin and Eric wore overalls un-ironically, Kevin even wore overalls, with a sport coat and tie, Andre and his band look like a parody of a early 90's rock band, Heather is rocking Cross-Colors and Julie is dressed like Jerry Seinfeld at the diner most of the time(sneakers, jeans, button-up shirt over a turtleneck). In season 2 both Glen and Beth A could pass as present day hipsters, Aaron dresses like dads do now, Tami and Beth S don't wear anything that crazy but do have some unfortunate accessories, Jon and Dom look like goofballs, but Irene has some WOW outfits and her bridesmaids dresses were hysterical.

I'm skipping season 3 and jumping to season 4, three Americans in the UK with limited work visas, two Brits, one Aussie and a German sitting around the house all day and night seems more appealing than Puck, Rachel and Judd(who is every RA I encountered when visiting friends at their colleges).