DVDVR Message Board

2021 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Tim Burton's live action Addams' Family series for Netflix is back on and is now planned to be a spinoff focusing on Wednesday.

"Titled Wednesday, the coming-of-age comedy, written by Smallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar and to be directed by Burton, is a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery charting Wednesday Addams’ years as a student at Nevermore Academy. That’s where she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships."

I like the concept but the outline makes it sound like more or less the same thing as that new Sabrina series.

We finished Ted Lasso. That is easily in my list of favorite TV series. I don't think I've watched anything that made me feel that happy or made me teary eyed with nearly every episode. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

We finished Ted Lasso. That is easily in my list of favorite TV series. I don't think I've watched anything that made me feel that happy or made me teary eyed with nearly every episode. 

There's really something to this show coming along at the right moment culturally, where the show is designed to be warm and comforting and attempts to beat the cynicism out of any character who would dare be cynical in Ted Lasso's TV show. 

Add Sudeikis to the list of people who I didn't care for on SNL because SNL is trash but ends up being in a perfect thing afterward. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Reminder for anyone interested: Young Rock premieres tonight on NBC.

My favorite thing about Young Rock is how Meltzer and the like are treating it like a documentary

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Perhaps surprisingly,  JC did not totally hate it. 

While they didn’t go overboard with the “that group of wrestlers were never in that location at the same time”, a lot of people need to remember the “repeat to yourself it’s just a show” line from the MST3K theme. 

There's no Expanse thread but I've been pretty vocal about the books being so, so much better. We're just starting Season 5 so I could be wrong but... (Season 5 spoilers:)

Spoiler

We meet Holden in episode 1 sitting in a bar and eating ramen. He's nudged by Monica Stuart to look into missing ships that might be affected by the protomolecule. That makes him go to Fred and starts his arc for the season, etc., etc. In the books, however, you have a whole section of how he got to that point and his mindset leading up to Monica approaching him. By this point, Alex, Amos, and Naomi have all been off the ship for a bit and he's going absolutely stir crazy. He's without purpose, without family, incredibly worried and self-conscious about Naomi leaving without letting him know what was going on. Lots of time in his head to set up the exact condition where he's going to actually listen to Monica's concerns. It's not about her or the concerns but about him and his mental state. In the show, he looks a little unkempt and casual and vaguely bored as he slurps the ramen and it's much more about her concerns driving him forward. Everything's dumber and more shallow and it's just about driving the plot forward mechanically.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

CBS has announced that Mom will end after its current 8th season ends.

Guess they decided the Anna Faris-less version wasn't working

I been watching since the beginning, and gave this season only one episode, and that one was nearly unwatchable. Anna Faris was the glue that held it together.

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's no Expanse thread but I've been pretty vocal about the books being so, so much better. We're just starting Season 5 so I could be wrong but... (Season 5 spoilers:)

Reveal hidden contents

We meet Holden in episode 1 sitting in a bar and eating ramen. He's nudged by Monica Stuart to look into missing ships that might be affected by the protomolecule. That makes him go to Fred and starts his arc for the season, etc., etc. In the books, however, you have a whole section of how he got to that point and his mindset leading up to Monica approaching him. By this point, Alex, Amos, and Naomi have all been off the ship for a bit and he's going absolutely stir crazy. He's without purpose, without family, incredibly worried and self-conscious about Naomi leaving without letting him know what was going on. Lots of time in his head to set up the exact condition where he's going to actually listen to Monica's concerns. It's not about her or the concerns but about him and his mental state. In the show, he looks a little unkempt and casual and vaguely bored as he slurps the ramen and it's much more about her concerns driving him forward. Everything's dumber and more shallow and it's just about driving the plot forward mechanically.

At the same time, they only have 10 episodes to work with and they're ending the series likely picking some things here and there from the remaining books. I thought season 5 was fantastic.

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I been watching since the beginning, and gave this season only one episode, and that one was nearly unwatchable. Anna Faris was the glue that held it together.

My wife is a huge fan of the show and she said this season without Anna was still good.  I knew it wouldn't last without Faris.  Allison Janney is wildly talented but she needs Faris as a foil.  

• Like 1

Gillian Anderson has been cast as Eleanor Roosevelt in The First Lady (the new slight tweaked name for the Showtime series that was originally going to be called First Ladies)

We finally got around to The Plot Against America over the weekend. Riveting, horrifying, heartbreaking stuff with unavoidable connotations from the past five years. I was getting angrier and angrier as it went on...

...and then we got to the final scene, with people voting for President in a basketball gym with a FUCKING THREE-POINT LINE, and just like that the anger melted away because I was howling with laughter.

• Like 2

Everyone knows the outside shot was first theorized by nazi scientists smuggled into the country after WWII.  You can still see the horrifying remnants of their failed experiments today:

Spoiler

GettyImages-1296767458.jpg?w=1500

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Isn't John Mahoney dead?

I don't think I could stomach Kelsey Grammar with just him and David Hyde Pierce. I'd rather Jane Leeves do a revival of THROB than Frasier

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

(not sure where to post this, there does not seem to be a Star Trek thread and I think this fits better here than in the documentary thread)

I have recently watched the Star Trek Deep Space Nine documentary they did in 2018. They did a pretty good job and had a funny thing going on during the credits where Nana Visitor (Kira in DS9) is arguing with the producer of the documentation Ira Steven Behr (showrunner of DS9 in the later years) about stuff they did not mention or cut from the documentary. But that is not why I am posting this. The last pre-credit scene is René Auberjonois (Odo in DS9) reminiscing about how in his obituary he now won't be described as being best known as Clayton Endicott III from Benson, because even though that was a great character, he was a nitwit, but rather as being Odo. While he was saying that, he was near tears. Auberjonois died about a year after the documentary premiered so I guess something like 2 years after the interview was conducted, but I guess by that time he knew that he was near the end of the road and I suppose Behr knew so as well (Auberjonois died from lung cancer).

The documentary also featured quite some material with Aron Eisenberg (Nog in DS9) including an emotional interview excerpt near the end. Eisenberg died a couple of months before Auberjonois from heart failure and wasn't doing physically well either for quite some time, so that might also have been a concious choice.

• Like 3