DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, Jiji said:

Liu Kang dude is a seriously beautiful man and was pretty believable. Like put him in there in place of the create a character protagonist and the movie is instantly better tenfold. 

I have no idea why Marvel went with Simu Liu over Ludi Lin for the role of Shang Chi, but here we are.  Dude would've been perfect but alas, I am not a Disney casting director.  At least he got to showcase his skills and presence in this movie.  I'm going to give the mouse the benefit of the doubt and theorize that Ludi had some sort of scheduling conflict and could not accept the role.

MK was okay.  It could've been great if it had better embraced the camp like its predecessor did. 

Kano, Sub Zero, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Scorpion carried the movie on their backs.  Hiroyuki Sanada is fucking diesel.  I will not grow old as gracefully as he has.

Chin Han and Tadanobu Asano were acceptable as Shang Tsung and Raiden, but I was disappointed that Shang didn't throw any flaming skulls.  Shang Tsung also lost several coolness points because he did not have Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa's badass longcoat.

We will not talk about Goro being used as a throwaway character.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Yeah, that was another issue for me.  The guys playing Shang Tsung and Raider didn’t go big enough.  That was something Cary and Lambert got in the first one.  When you’re playing these larger than life characters, you go gotta go for it.  (Dude playing Kano definitely got it.).  Asano in particular felt very low energy to me (*rimshot*).

Mortal Kombat 2021 is very forgettable. Cole is complete fucking trash and sucked the energy out of every scene he was in. Kano was king sized. Goro being ahenchman on the same level as the girl with wings is unforgivable.

even the MK song over the credits was uninspired.

I didn't connect the dots until a post on another board: Reptile was actually in this, and was just that creature that was fighting against Sonya, Cole and Kano in the trailer.

Not sure I like that character design, since the games have him as a human/lizard hybrid, but... eh, whatever. While watching the movie, I just assumed it was a random monster than Shang Tsung sent after Cole. Never even crossed my mind that it might be Reptile.

They definitely did Reptile dirty.

If nothing else, the movie got me playing MK11 and the story mode in that, especially with the Aftermath DLC, is better than either '95 or '21 movies. And that's even with Ronda Rousey stinking up the joint (has nothing to do with her being a less than stellar person and everything to do with her voice acting abilities). Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is the best, on the other hand. 

Edited by Jiji

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

They definitely did Reptile dirty.

If nothing else, the movie got me playing MK11 and the story mode in that, especially with the Aftermath DLC, is better than either '95 or '21 movies. And that's even with Ronda Rousey stinking up the joint (has nothing to do with her being a less than stellar person and everything to do with her voice acting abilities). Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is the best, on the other hand. 

Christopher Lambert as well. I still have a soft spot for Street Fighter (1994) and Mortal Kombat (1995) movies. Raul Julia is amazing as Bison, one man show. Mortal Kombat for Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Shang Tsung. When it comes to the video games, I prefer the Mortal Kombat series.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I watched The Sound of Metal the night before the Oscars and to me it’s an allegory for the current pandemic as everything was ripped away from him before he was ready for it and he had to adjust to his new way of life no matter how hard he fought it eventually he had to come to terms with it and he found peace in his acceptance.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, J.T. said:

Oooooo.  PRISON~!

He seems to be uploading one video at a time, letting it "play" for a day or two, and then taking it down. Right now it's THE BIG SLEEP with Robert Mitchum.

• Like 2

Amazon Prime is really letting me cross a lot of bad movies of my "meant to watch this for years" list.

First was Mulholland Falls, which is too busy and not remotely compelling.  It's funny this came out the year before L.A. Confidential, and, despite that being a far more convoluted film, it hits absolutely every mark that Mulholland Falls misses.  Let's face it, if you're watching this, you're doing so strictly for the following reason: Jennifer Connelly circa 1995/96.  There.  That's it.  That's what's good about the movie.

I had watched about the first half of Shooter some years ago and then never finished it, and might have been better off keeping it that way.  Totally mediocre popcorn action movie, though it does have the distinction of being the first - or at least an early - example of Michael Pena as the plucky sidekick who steals the show.

I would have things to say about The Happening, except the post formatting is going berzerk on me right now for some reason.

1) Just as bad as everyone says.

2) The most visually boring movie I've maybe ever seen, so I can almost believe he intended to make a bad movie, because that's one surefire way to do it, but

3) He made so much other turgid, self-indulgent garbage that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Really should have been the end of anyone giving him money, but of course this movie turned a profit, so...here we are still stuck with his crap.

Edited by Contentious C

After I'd been looking forward to it for over a year, I watched Tom Clancy's Without Remorse on Amazon Prime tonight. As much as I enjoyed it as a standalone action film, I feel pretty comfortable saying that the late Mr. Clancy would have hated it with a passion. The film has the overall spirit of the novel as far as a revenge mission, and the usual twists and turns associated with Clancy's works (and the films that are loosely based on them).

Never knew this. Sucks it happened to Winona Ryder and good on Sir. Anthony Hopkins for doing the right thing. People take things too far. No need to shout abuse to get the required reaction. "People" who want to make people cry are scum.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Keanu Reeves refused to do it, as well. But that's not a surprise to literally anyone on Earth.

The wiki article about the movie and how Gary Oldman was in the throes of addiction and what Coppola encouraged him to do to get reactions is weird, sad and creepy, like whispering vulgar shit to Sadie Frost and Winona Ryder.

• Like 1

So, I just watched THIS. 

--- HIGHLY HIGHLY NSFW TRAILER / BLOOD NUDITY ETC. ---

Spoiler

Yeah. And that is Rosie Perez. And Javier Bardem. And James Gandolfini. And Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Apparently Alex de la Iglesias (Accion Mutante, Day of the Beast, 30 Coins) dragged this madness from a novel written by the guy who wrote Wild At Heart, which the film is quite similar to... if Sailor and Lula were actual psychos. I was hipped to it by a Trailers from Hell article that is pretty spoilery so you might want to track the film down first. If that trailer doesn't make you want to see it then it is definitely not up your alley. But for the rest of us sickos, it is one of the funniest and most ridiculous pieces of art-trash I've seen in a loooooong time. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I've seen that. Had to have been like 20 years ago by now though. Should probably watch it again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So, I just watched THIS. 

--- HIGHLY HIGHLY NSFW TRAILER / BLOOD NUDITY ETC. ---

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah. And that is Rosie Perez. And Javier Bardem. And James Gandolfini. And Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Apparently Alex de la Iglesias (Accion Mutante, Day of the Beast, 30 Coins) dragged this madness from a novel written by the guy who wrote Wild At Heart, which the film is quite similar to... if Sailor and Lula were actual psychos. I was hipped to it by a Trailers from Hell article that is pretty spoilery so you might want to track the film down first. If that trailer doesn't make you want to see it then it is definitely not up your alley. But for the rest of us sickos, it is one of the funniest and most ridiculous pieces of art-trash I've seen in a loooooong time. 

That looks like one of the fake trailers from Grindhouse....

• Like 1

The metal song playing on it definitely isn't in the soundtrack. They prefer Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. But yeah, it involves Santeria, teenager abduction and rape, human sacrifice, illegal fetus transportation, multiple mob bosses, bank robbery, Rosie Grier channeling Tura Satana, is set on both sides of the border, etc. so it's pretty close to a Rodriguez/Tarantino joint. Only difference is 1. it's less talky, and 2. has no moral center whatsoever. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

As much as I enjoyed it as a standalone action film, I feel pretty comfortable saying that the late Mr. Clancy would have hated it with a passion. 

Good.

While we're at it, what was his take on the Hunt for Red October adaptation? I remember hearing something, but finding it on the google is a real pain. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I've seen Perdita Durango like a million times.  That's how I knew that Javier Bardem would do just fine playing the role of Anton Chigurh.

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

That looks like one of the fake trailers from Grindhouse....

I'm here to say that the movie is very very real.

Edited by J.T.