DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I CARE A LOT:  Rosamund Pike is back on her GONE GIRL shit, and it is incredible.  It amazes me that Hollywood hasn’t figured out what to do with her since then, and it almost feels like she took this movie just to remind everybody.  (At the very least, somebody should’ve paid her a lot of money to be a comic book movie villain by now.)

Unfortunately, the film takes an interesting premise and Pike’s performance and flushes it in the second half.  One of those movies that trips all over itself trying to make a statement about The Way America Is instead of just being the fun neonoir crime film it is at heart.

Honorable mention to Pike’s stylist and whoever did the score.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, EVA said:

I CARE A LOT:  Rosamund Pike is back on her GONE GIRL shit, and it is incredible.  It amazes me that Hollywood hasn’t figured out what to do with her since then, and it almost feels like she took this movie just to remind everybody.  (At the very least, somebody should’ve paid her a lot of money to be a comic book movie villain by now.)

Unfortunately, the film takes an interesting premise and Pike’s performance and flushes it in the second half.  One of those movies that trips all over itself trying to make a statement about The Way America Is instead of just being the fun neonoir crime film it is at heart.

Honorable mention to Pike’s stylist and whoever did the score.

I went into that movie totally cold after only watching 10ish seconds of the Netflix preview, I really liked it but I also didn't like where it went at times.

Spoiler

It really really needed more interactions with Pike and Dianne Wiest in the nursing home. Also once I realized it wasn't just a movie about the shadiness of guardians, doctors, nursing homes and judges, I figured out how Pike's character would end up.

By god does Comet Network come up with the gems. Heatseeker is on right now, an Albert Pyun Special where he hired out an empty warehouse for a weekend so he could shoot a film about cyborgs secretly involved in a kickboxing contest. Every scene looks like it's shot with a thin layer of gauze over the lens. The funny thing is Cyborg has also been making the rounds on the pay channels. Sadly when looking the film up (it is one of the only one of his that DOESN'T have a Wikipedia entry) I learned that Albert has both MS and dementia which is just terrible. (I also learned that there is such a thing as a Yellow Fever Independent Film Festival in Ireland...) 

This probably belongs in the Grindhouse thread but that hasn't been posted in since last September

EDIT: Oh my. This was also in the Wiki

Pyun directed and produced Ticker for Artisan Entertainment in May 2000, which featured Steven Seagal, Tom Sizemore, Dennis Hopper, Jaime Pressly, Nas and Ice-T plus Chilli of the R&B group TLC.

What a lineup! Can you imagine how much scenery gets chewed in that one?

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 2/23/2021 at 2:30 PM, Mister TV said:

I went into that movie totally cold after only watching 10ish seconds of the Netflix preview, I really liked it but I also didn't like where it went at times.

Hide contents

It really really needed more interactions with Pike and Dianne Wiest in the nursing home. Also once I realized it wasn't just a movie about the shadiness of guardians, doctors, nursing homes and judges, I figured out how Pike's character would end up.

I dug the movie for the most part, but was kinda dissappointed that there wasn't really a good guy in it.  Well, ok, there technically was...

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 12:16 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Was not sending an email an option?

While I respect his right to form his own views, I seriously doubt he speaks for the entire body electorate that voted Republican in 2020.

Oddly, I find his lack of professionalism more disturbing than his politics.   You are an Academy Award voter.  Do your job and watch the movie, asshole.   Review it on its artistic merits and save your personal politics for any sidebar commentary with your peers.

If I made it through the original Birth of a Nation while taking a college course, you can fucking make it through Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 10

Eddie Murphy was apparently forced to put Louie Anderson in the original Coming to America by studio execs.  

That sucks for 1986 Eddie, but it also sucks for 2021 Louie.  ? 

Well technically they were forced to put a "White guy" in the movie and were given a list. Louie was Eddie and Arsenio's choice because they knew he was the coolest on the list. Still sucks but at least they liked the guy they picked.

• Like 2

And I doubt it's that bad for Louie now, either, given he's in the new one.

Plus, dude, how fucking cool would it be to be the guy Eddie Murphy thought was the "funniest white guy around" and "was cool" right at the peak of Murphy being the funniest, coolest man alive?

• Like 3

When I was reading up on it Louie mentioned one of the things that likely helped him was him paying a for a big dinner for Eddie and some friends when he saw them at a restaurant. Eddie wasn't even supposed to know it was him since he was just trying to be nice, but someone spilled the beans.

Edited by Eivion

Watched COLLATERAL for the first time in ages tonight.  Got damn great movie.   Maybe the last great Michael Mann movie.  Wish there was somebody else making movies like this these days.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, EVA said:

Watched COLLATERAL for the first time in ages tonight.  Got damn great movie.   Maybe the last great Michael Mann movie.  Wish there was somebody else making movies like this these days.

Collateral is one of the great movies that turned into the Hollywood happy ending at the end.  The nightclub scene is one of the most intense action sequences ever with a shock payoff.  And I've usually stopped watching the movie five minutes later because that's a more accurate ending there than the last thirty minutes.

19 hours ago, Control said:

I just saw HARD TICKET TO HAWAII for the first time and I was really not prepared.

Lightweight!

That's one of the tamer Andy Sidaris movies out there. 

If you cannot handle Hard Ticket to Hawaii, I know you're not ready for The Dallas Connection.  Julie K. Smith in the apex of her youth and flower of her womanhood will melt your brain.  

And I don't recall hearing anything about Julie Strain passing away in January of this year.  I am bummed.  I think I tuned my radar down due to the fake report of her death in early 2020.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

I just saw HARD TICKET TO HAWAII for the first time and I was really not prepared.

Just putting it out there, but there is a DVD collection of 12 of his movies on amazon for $8

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, elizium said:

Just putting it out there, but there is a DVD collection of 12 of his movies on amazon for $8

I am a proud owner of the 3B's (Bullets, Bombs, & Babes) Collection.

I picked it up on the cheap from a K-Mart location that was being closed back in 2019.  I will never forget the Go Fuck Yourself look I got from the cashier.

I think Bullets, Bombs & Babes has the same film list as the Girls, Guns & G-Strings Deluxe Edition and both collections have the Director's Cut of Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1