DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

rickman-web-1.jpg?fit=620,417

tumblr_inline_o0yfjil41P1sh134d_500.jpg

Yesterday marked five years since Alan Rickman passed away. I was gutted hearing said news. One of my all time favourite actors thanks to Die Hard (1988), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) and Galaxy Quest (1999). Rickman gave us two of the greatest villains in cinematic history with Hans Gruber and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Missed to this day. R.I.P. Alan Rickman xxx.

• Like 2

So, Lost in London is fantastic. Woody Harrelson is an actual genius. To have made this movie in the traditional way, with editing and so forth, would have been impressive. But to have done it real time, in one take (and broadcast live at that), with multiple locations and having to travel between them in real time... incredible.

Got my Disney+ and am watching The Rookie. Shocking news about one of the father/son combos in this one:

• Brian Cox: Born June 1, 1946
  • Dennis Quaid: Born April 9, 1954

I really love show business sometimes. 

Also, Quaid is at least twelve years older than the dude he's playing when this was filmed. 

All things considered, decent performance by Quaid. I love the feel-good sports part of their catalog. Wish they were churning this out at the same rate as their half-assed Star Wars content. 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, The Natural said:

rickman-web-1.jpg?fit=620,417

tumblr_inline_o0yfjil41P1sh134d_500.jpg

Yesterday marked five years since Alan Rickman passed away. I was gutted hearing said news. One of my all time favourite actors thanks to Die Hard (1988), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) and Galaxy Quest (1999). Rickman gave us two of the greatest villains in cinematic history with Hans Gruber and the Sheriff of Nottingham. Missed to this day. R.I.P. Alan Rickman xxx.

He was also super cool in Dogma, as the Seraph or Ark-angel, "the Voice of God" whatever he was called. He pretty much nailed it in his first role, however, as Hans Gruber, since as far as I know, he hadn't really been cast in any major motion pictures prior to that one! That's a Pat MacAfee-level debut right there! ...had to check. Yeah, 10 years of TV movies and a part or two in TV-series, according to Imdb. Also, he was called Metadron in Dogma.

Edited by Shartnado
Checked Imdb for details.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think Whip would have had a far harder time in prison than that. It's not like you can't get drugs OR drink in prison, either. 

I'd actually never heard of a "coco puff" until I saw that scene. Laced weed/primos, yes (or as the Jamaicans apparently call it, "seasoned" ganja), but not coke in a cigarette. 

Was dicking around on Prime trying to find The Untold Story (which is there for rental) and found something I didn't know or remember existed: a third Outrage movie, Outrage Coda. It's your good old Beat Takeshi yakuza formula, full of Machiavellian chess moves and pitch black humor. Everyone makes much ado about the violence of these films but the third Godfather was messier than this. There are two hilarious murder setpieces though: one is Beat's Otomo and his partner murdering an entire room of Yakuza with automatic rifles and another where they bury a guy up to his neck to get run over. Neither shows much of anything. Goes to show that the audience always thinks they see more than they actually do. 

EDIT: I also finally watched Over the Edge this morning. Think Dazed and Confused gradually turning into River's Edge, with a really good late '70s/early '80s rock soundtrack. Considering the end I suppose the unofficial sequel would be Bad Boys (the Sean Penn one). 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I really enjoyed Tenet. It helps that I was primed on most of the big complaints going in and that I was jonesing for a big dumb blockbuster after going a year without one. I was biting on pretty much everything this was throwing at me. Some wild set pieces and great suits in this one, which is all I needed. Also

Spoiler

John David Washington wrecks shop on a henchman with a box grater, which is an ideal thing to happen in any movie. There should be more action scenes that involve box graters. 

Don't know where I'd land on this in a non-COVID world. But as things stand, this was welcome. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

I generally don't post on here if I have something really negative to say, across the board at least. On top of that, I rarely come into this particular thread or even contribute to the Movies & TV folder. That said, I'm finally watching The Dead Don't Die, a movie with a cast of actors I normally love and a director I have been very fond of in the past and, and it is so fucking god-awful that I felt compelled to come here and say something. This might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen despite all of the things it should have going for it. 

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was the theme of the fucking movie. The only song in it IIRC. And the movie was good. 

I'm honestly curious, what did you think was good about it? Besides a little bit of the performances, the only thing I can give it a positive shout out for is the fact that the zombies' we're all dusty inside and not bloody, I thought that was neat? 

I don't know man, I haven't had this kind of just straight out annoyance for having watched a movie in a long time. From the looks of it, critical response was pretty bad as well. But if you liked it, well I can't take it away from you ??

• Like 1

I liked the deadpan combination of Adam Driver and Bill Murray. Also, I've been tired of zombies for a long time, especially since they became super popular with the Walking Dead shit and World War Z and all the remakes, and this felt like a stake in the heart of all that shit. When there's nowhere to go except self-parody to the point of boredom, it's time to just stop, you know? I suppose the sociological satire was good too but I'd have to watch it again to see how fresh that is. 

• Like 1

Deakins is great and all but I tend to fall in with QT on that subject. The difference is real. There is certainly enough room for both but an all digital world is going to suck. I'll have to move to some college town that has a revival house that shows nothing but 35mm prints of older films.