DVDVR Message Board

2021 MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Guyver is worth it just to hear Jimmie Walker from Good Times voice one of the Bioroid monsters.

Godzilla vs. Kong = MILLION BILLION STARS~!!!!

Spoiler

MECHA-GODZILLA~!  HOLY FUCK~!!!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2021 at 7:22 PM, Control said:

Liquid Sky?  The Stuff?  Shock Waves?  Danger: Diabolik? THE LOST EMPIRE~???  STAR CRASH~?

It's like someone uploaded a fourth of my DVD collection to YouTube.

Other than the glaring omission of The Dallas Connection from the Sidaris films, its a really excellent playlist.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Liquid Sky?  The Stuff?  Shock Waves?  Danger: Diabolik? THE LOST EMPIRE~???  STAR CRASH~?

It's like someone uploaded a fourth of my DVD collection to YouTube.

Other than the glaring omission of The Dallas Connection from the Sidaris films, its a really excellent playlist.

No DO OR DIE either, which is next on my list.

Watched CLASS OF NUKE ‘EM HIGH tonight, which I’d never seen before. Planning on NIGHT OF THE COMET next.

Need someone to post CEMETERY MAN and BLOOD OF HEROES. Surprised those two aren’t more readily available.

For the record, I personally love Alamo Drafthouse.  If you're lucky enough to have one in your city, you know...  it's so much better of a movie going experience.  

I really, really hope they make it.  

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 11:58 PM, elizium said:

Toxie 4 is my favourite of Troma's, but Class is amazing

I like those as well as the fucking bananas Troma's War aka 1000 Ways to Die.

• Like 2

I finally got around to watching Red Sun and regret it not a bit. Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Alain Delon and Ursula Andress in a western about a stolen samurai sword?

What is there not to love about this movie?

James

• Like 2

The best licensed Troma has to be either Bloodsucking Freaks (heh) or Combat Shock. I'm leaning towards the latter because it's one of the most brutal cinematic experiences ever. Bloodsucking Freaks is just gross. 

Speaking of gross, Redneck Zombies! I'm not sure if you can call that official or licensed... probably licensed. If so that's a pretty good trifecta. 

• Like 1

So I got around to watching Nomadland, since I absolutely loved The Rider and I was interested to see what Chloe Zhao had up next.

Turns out it was a lot of the same.

That's not a bad thing per se; I just didn't expect it to chase so many of the same ideas so much.  I don't like comparing films to just say "X is better than Y" except when it's your standard comic-book cheeseburger fare, but this just freely opens the door to those comparisons because the films are so much alike.  And this had a lot of potential that I'm not sure I felt was followed through upon.  Where The Rider is your fairly direct coming-of-age story, Nomadland is about the end of life and trying to do something with your time.  It's something I've been thinking more and more about covering in my writing, and this...well, it begins to shape out some really interesting things, but I think it spends too much time with little slice-of-life details that don't necessarily add to the larger picture.  The characters in The Rider weren't just friends or family or co-workers; they were nearly all of them foils for the main character, and you can see the gears turning in his head about the choices he has to make.  I'm not sure that's quite so well articulated here, even with Frances McDormand doing the bulk of the articulating.  Or maybe she just comes off as more stubborn at times, to the detriment of the story that's being told.

I don't know.  I could see this winning Best Picture anyway, but if you haven't seen either of her movies, I'd watch this first, then go back to The Rider.

On 3/29/2021 at 3:54 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 this weekend, and holy crap did they nominate the wrong guy.  

Frank Langella was so incredible as the racist, addled, and horrifically biased judge.  I actively said 'oh fuck you' to him.  

Sasha Baron Cohen was fine, but Langella was just on another level. 

I just watched this yesterday. I am a bit torn regarding Langella, I have to admit I have never heard about the Chicago 7 before this movie, so I don't know how accurate this stuff is, but the judge is almost comical in his villainousness, like how could any juror take this trial serious. But again, maybe this was exactly how this played out.

I guess I will put the rest of my thoughts in spoilers tags.

Spoiler

Five minutes into the trial part, it was obvious to me how the movie was ending, either in a direct mistrial due to some shenanigans with the judge (they throw a red herring pretty early into that direction with the "put a geriatric psychologist into the courtroom" line) or in convictions that are easily overturned in an appeal (or am I putting too much faith in the US justice system of the early 1970ies?).

I would describe the movie as competent and entertaining, maybe feeding a bit of a "two minutes hate". It's definitely more than just Oscar-bait but also feels like a movie no one will remember in 10 years. Also skimming over the Wikipedia article of the real trial, there were so many great lines of the trial that Sorkin somehow did not use (maybe because they somehow felt too scripted?). An example would be Abbie calling the judge "a schande fur di goyim" (both Hoffman's were Jewish; the way they presented them in the movie - Abbie mentioning his Ukrainian-Jewish heritage when stating his name in the witness stand - there is some implication that judge Hoffman was not Jewish (Hoffmann/Hofmann is a very common German family name) and maybe an Antisemite)

The more I think about it, the weirder the script seems. They did not show any defense witnesses besides LBJ's AG. Just looking at the Wikipedia article, there were famous names like Arlo Guthrie, Timothy Leary and Jesse Jackson taking the witness stand. I mean it would not have fit the story that Sorkin was trying to tell (to show how unbalanced the trial was), but it really makes the defense attorneys look incompetent.

Channel surfing yesterday and landed on In the Loop (2009). It's a film I always talk up. When I think of Peter Capaldi, the first thing is Malcolm Tucker over the Doctor. Capaldi's great as both but I prefer him as Malcolm Tucker. It's a film you should seek out. NSFW video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

The series that spawned Malcom Tucker, The thick of it, is highly recommended as well. 

In the Loop was my introduction to Malcolm Tucker/the other characters and I went on to watch The Thick of It series which came out following the film.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 3:43 AM, J.T. said:

I like those as well as the fucking bananas Troma's War aka 1000 Ways to Die.

@J.T.I've always enjoyed your posts and this makes me happy to read. In high school, my buddies and I had a Troma binge (as film/horror/exploitation geeks do) and I was the only one who really dug Troma's War. During the time my sister worked at Troma, I begged her to find any and all materials related to It for me. Now, the real question: Where do you stand on Terror Firmer and my guy, The Toddster? I think it's one of the most pure examples of what Troma does. Or at least I did in 2006 when I watched it last.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, Curt McGirt said:

The best licensed Troma has to be either Bloodsucking Freaks (heh) or Combat Shock. I'm leaning towards the latter because it's one of the most brutal cinematic experiences ever. Bloodsucking Freaks is just gross. 

Speaking of gross, Redneck Zombies! I'm not sure if you can call that official or licensed... probably licensed. If so that's a pretty good trifecta. 

Does Cannibal! The Musical not count?

That would fall under a licensed Troma property, made without prior financial involvement. Here's a list of both sides, official productions and licensed. Some like Combat Shock overlap? I dunno. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Troma_films

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Troma_Team_Video_Titles

The list of licensed is waaaaaaaay longer. And even weirder. Fatty Rides the Bus? 

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

@J.T.I've always enjoyed your posts and this makes me happy to read. In high school, my buddies and I had a Troma binge (as film/horror/exploitation geeks do) and I was the only one who really dug Troma's War. During the time my sister worked at Troma, I begged her to find any and all materials related to It for me. Now, the real question: Where do you stand on Terror Firmer and my guy, The Toddster? I think it's one of the most pure examples of what Troma does. Or at least I did in 2006 when I watched it last.

The Toddster death pose & screaming scene has never failed to make me laugh. ?  It is the fucking best because it is the essence of camp.

• Thanks 1