DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/18/2021 at 9:52 PM, Casey said:

She might have been cast after the move from Miramax to New Line Cinema, too.

That was my thought. That or people in Aerosmith likely knew people who would probably kill Harvey if he did anything.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Universal and Vin Diesel have hooked up to do a film version of -- get this -- Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots ?  I... I've got nothing. 

Heh.

How about...

Rock Paper Scissors 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

Edited by The Natural

Antoine Fuqua will direct a Cat on a Hot Tin Roof adaptation

It appears that it will be an adaptation of the 2008 Broadway revival as the producers of that will be working on the film. (That version was an all African American production that featured "new storylines")

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Universal and Vin Diesel have hooked up to do a film version of -- get this -- Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots ?  I... I've got nothing. 

It's already been done and was actually pretty good

91N1a3EH2PL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Craig H said:

*sigh* I'm going to be that person...

This remake seems really dumb. I don't see how it will be better than the original.

I think you are gonna feel a lot of people are going to feel that way

Or you find people like my wife who hate all versions of West Side Story AND Romeo and Juliet (I agree on the R&J part - I am a little lenient on WSS due to some of the music)

OSLO

Based on the Tony Award winning play of the same name.

Ruth Wilson, Andrew Scott

Written by JT Rogers who also wrote the play (which is based on the 1993 Oslo Peace Accords)

Directed by Bartlett Sher who won a Tony for directing the play version.

Will debut on HBO and then be available on HBO Max

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Romeo and Juliet

Even the really weird Baz Luhrmann version? We actually got to watch that in school. The only weirder movies I ever got to watch in school were Sleepy Hollow (which a girl ratted out to her parents and they made a big stink about) and Cleopatra (rumored-to-be-gay teacher in sixth grade showed that for Social Studies. It was... bizarre.)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Even the really weird Baz Luhrmann version? We actually got to watch that in school. The only weirder movies I ever got to watch in school were Sleepy Hollow (which a girl ratted out to her parents and they made a big stink about) and Cleopatra (rumored-to-be-gay teacher in sixth grade showed that for Social Studies. It was... bizarre.)

We got to watch the Franco Zeffirelli version of Romeo & Juliet in high school, our teacher put a beach towel in front of the tv during a nude scene. The same teacher also had us watch One-Eyed Jacks because it was his favorite flick.

We also watched the version of Romeo and Juliet in middle school with Juliet's boobs on full display. We had to have parents sign a permission slip for it and were told to not act like fools during that scene.

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We watched Cleopatra in Latin class because my teacher loved it and it was at least Roman-adjacent.  We also had the young, 'cool' English teacher who showed Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet.

The best high school movie experience was the journalism teacher who showed us El Mariachi because he was showing it to his Spanish classes that day and just didn't want to do any teaching.  He got fired not too long after for showing up to work drunk, if you can believe it.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Aren't Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots toys that have one expression painted on their face and are basically stationary (from what I can recall, only the robots arms moved)?

Vin was born to play this role.

At this point, I feel like he's trolling people.  Besides F&F, he's known for playing an animated block of wood who says three words over and over, and now's he cast in a movie about a robots whose heads people enjoy punching off.  Obviously, he's reading mean tweets about him and laughing on his way to the bank.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Aren't Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots toys that have one expression painted on their face and are basically stationary (from what I can recall, only the robots arms moved)?

Vin was born to play this role.

At this point, I feel like he's trolling people.  Besides F&F, he's known for playing an animated block of wood who says three words over and over, and now's he cast in a movie about a robots whose heads people enjoy punching off.  Obviously, he's reading mean tweets about him and laughing on his way to the bank.

Don't forget him voicing the Iron Giant.

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

He got fired not too long after for showing up to work drunk, if you can believe it.

Yeah that probably checks out ? The movie doing it would not surprise me either.

I also saw the underage nudity Romeo in school but they turned the TV around and fast forwarded, IIRC. Probably the craziest airing of anything I witnessed in any school setting was having "Police Truck" by Dead Kennedys played in a college music course per my request. If you don't get the reference... well, here it is

In 8th grade (but I was taking 9th grade English as Farwell was still struggling with the idea of "advanced classes" back then) we watched the 68 version, but the teacher taped construction paper over the screen for the nudity.

Which, by the way, was god damn underaged nudity at that, so, in retrospect, good call Mrs. Farr.

Edited by Brian Fowler

On 4/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Sleepy Hollow was the best.  A proper murder mystery, Johnny Depp cheerfully chewing on scenery, Christopher Walken cameo as a shark toothed zombie, Ray Park in all of his weapon swooshing glory, Christina Ricci with blonde hair and a bodice, violent decapitations, and Casper Van Diem being bisected at the waist.  It is the only Tim Burton movie I frequently revisit  I have watched it more times than I have watched any of his Batman movies.

As for Romeo & Juliet, we also had to sign permission slips as kids and got to see the full nudity.  It had Juliet's boobs for the guys in the audience and Romeo's ass for the ladies.  All parties treated equal.  That seemed fair to me at the time.

Once it came out that Olivia Hussey was a minor when that scene was filmed, the school was pretty quick to pull it from the curriculum....

... but you could still go to the library to check out a copy of Huck Finn and read all of the n-bombs you wanted to.

Edited by J.T.