DVDVR Message Board

2021 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Those Who Wish Me Dead

Director: Taylor Sheridan (Wind River)

Angelina Jolie and a ton of people playing either good or bad cop (I know I saw Nicholas Hoult, Tyler Perry and Jon Bernthal)

The trailer/movie went in a completely different direction than I thought it was going

So basically, Taylor Sheridan was up late one night and caught the notorious failed Howie Long star vehicle FIRESTORM on cable and thought, “Yes, the time is right for another preposterous action movie about a smokejumper fighting criminals.”

2 hours ago, EVA said:

So basically, Taylor Sheridan was up late one night and caught the notorious failed Howie Long star vehicle FIRESTORM on cable and thought, “Yes, the time is right for another preposterous action movie about a smokejumper fighting criminals.”

Fuckin Firestorm. I have the trailer permanently burned into my brain (along with Bring It On, Sour Grapes, Jane Austen's Mafia, and a bunch of others) because they played in the lobby of the theater I worked in for two and a half years.

But at least I can still do a note-perfect impression of William Forsythe asking "You alive, smoke jumper?"

About Jackass 4 - Remember when Steve-O was on AEW Dynamite with Darby a few months back? Darby did a drop in to a Skate Ramp in a body bag? Considering that Steve-O was clearly also filming it, and Darby did the classic Jackass "I'm Darby Allin and this is..." intro, there's a chance that they were planning on that being in the movie.

I laughed.

The Man From Toronto has been giving a Jan 14, 2022 release date

Stars Kevin Hart, Woody Harrelson, Kaley Cuoco, Ellen Barkin

Directed by Patrick Hughes

Interesting little nugget that I hadn't heard about this movie before. Jason Statham was originally cast in Woody Harrelson's role (the world’s deadliest assassin). He left due to creative differences because he wanted it to be a R rated action movie and the studio went with screwball comedy

Army of the Dead

Okay - this trailer does a better job of answering some of the questions that were raised after the first one

However - here is your standard warning that the trailer sure as fuck seems to give away a lot of the movie. (Especially around who is gonna get fucked up.)

(Of course the movie poster only featuring 5 people kinda does that too)

Is...is that Tig in that movie?

HOLY SHIT! IT IS TIG NOTARO! That's fucking awesome.

My impression from seeing the trailer is the same as it was last time, which is that this feels like Zack Snyder borrowing heavily from Dead Rising. This trailer feels even more like Dead Rising, minus making weapons out of random things. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing either, that it seems similar to that game. Now I kinda wish one of the people in the group was Frank West.

I think Tig Notaro was added to the movie in reshoots, because the person who originally played her part was exposed for doing something career-ending.

• Like 1

Update - I checked. Originally Chris D'Elia was in the movie, but he got exposed as a serial sex pest towards 16 year old girls.

I woke up thinking about No Country for Old Men for some reason (specifically the last scene) and decided to Wiki it. Thus, I found out that Joel Coen by himself ended up making a version of Macbeth that's yet to be released. 

It was announced in March 2019 that Joel Coen, in a rare solo effort, was set to write and direct a new take on the William Shakespeare play. Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand were set to star in the film, Scott Rudin would produce, and A24 would distribute.[1] In November, Brendan Gleeson and Corey Hawkins entered negotiations to join the cast.[2] Both were confirmed in January 2020, along with the addition of Moses Ingram, Harry Melling and Ralph Ineson to the cast.[3][4]

Filming began in Los Angeles on February 7, 2020.[5][6][7] To give the film a look "untethered from reality", it was shot entirely on sound stages.[8] In April, Coen announced that the film will officially be titled The Tragedy of Macbeth.[9]

It was announced on March 26, 2020, that filming had been halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[10] Production resumed on July 23, 2020,[11] and concluded on July 31, 2020.[12] The film was shot in black-and-white.[13]

So that should be interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I woke up thinking about No Country for Old Men for some reason (specifically the last scene) and decided to Wiki it. Thus, I found out that Joel Coen by himself ended up making a version of Macbeth that's yet to be released. 

So that should be interesting.

This is low-key my most anticipated movie right now.

I didn't realize they had ever resumed filming.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I woke up thinking about No Country for Old Men for some reason (specifically the last scene) and decided to Wiki it. 

It's been on Showtime Networks heavy rotation since last month.  I've watched it at least three times in the past four weeks.  

Yeah, the last scene has resonated me a lot more since my own father passed away this year.

• Like 1

After nearly a year, my neighborhood's island of lost cinemas re-opened to the public a few weeks ago. It's a slow process -- only one of the buildings are open, and the individual theaters are being opened one at a time. Currently, we're at six movies, so the chances of us getting something wacky and off the beaten path is somewhat slim at the moment.

But then, something happens ...

This is apparently what would happen if Pure Flix opted to reboot "Oh God, Book II." I was honestly waiting for George Burns to show up at any moment.

Kevin Sorbo sighting? Check!

When did Mira Sorvino's career fall off a cliff?

Directed by a guy who played one of Beaver's friends on "Leave It to Beaver." 

This just writes itself folks.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's been on Showtime Networks heavy rotation since last month.

Yeah, I posted that, turned the guide on the TV, and there it was haha. Meant to catch at least some of it but spaced; it's eternally packed away on the DVR and probably on DVD here anyway. Maybe seeing it in the guide subliminally influenced me to dream about it? That would be a first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colonial said:

When did Mira Sorvino's career fall off a cliff?

I'm pretty sure, like a lot of people, it's when she refused to fuck Harvey Weinstein.

• Sad 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:41 PM, Raziel said:

I'm pretty sure, like a lot of people, it's when she refused to fuck Harvey Weinstein.

It was confirmed by Peter Jackson. Jackson wanted Sorvino in, I think, Lord of the Rings, and Weinstein and his people steered him away from her and Ashley Judd too, both having rejected his advances. Sorvino suspected that's why her opportunities dried up but never knew for sure until Jackson spoke about it during the scandal. 

Basically if a woman didn't fuck Weinstein he'd start telling directors they were "difficult to work with". 

• Sad 1

I certainly wouldn't want to go down that road of guessing which actress did what to get what part. All Jackson said was that when he suggested Judd or Sorvino, that Weinstein told him they were problems. He never mentioned Weinstein pushing other options on him. 

Generally speaking, the industry predators prey on up and coming actresses (or models, in the case of Terry Richardson) who don't have industry connections. Liv Tyler being a child of fame might have been protected from all that. Maybe.

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

Generally speaking, the industry predators prey on up and coming actresses (or models, in the case of Terry Richardson) who don't have industry connections. Liv Tyler being a child of fame might have been protected from all that. Maybe.

Mira Sorvino has industry connections but her father would be a lot lower down the ladder compared to Steven Tyler.