DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Rock had boobs and didn't want them.  Golddust wanted boobs but couldn't get them.  Attitude Era WWF was a hell of a place.

"That's good shit pal!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

The stadium music guy at Arsenal continues to play WWE themes as the teams come out for the second half, Kurt Angles theme today as I shout "you suck" in time with at Granit Xhaka 

Xhaka just cut out a pass that otherwise would have resulted in a Palace goal at the far post. 

I guess Xhaka's got SOMETHIN' TO SAY to you:

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 2

Now I get why WWE changed Dezmond Xavier's name, because there's already Xavier Woods. But Wes Lee? Really? What's going to happen when he's on the same brand as Keith Lee? What's wrong with Wesley as a first name, and then a surname as well (nobody's using Watson right now are they? It would totally fit if he just switched names with Austin Creed). And Nash Carter for Zachary Wentz... isn't there already a Carter in WWE? Other than Ben Carter because I can buy that NXT-UK and the American brands are separate. And the name Nash is pretty much already taken in Wrestling, right? Like Keira Hogan only gets away with being called Hogan because it's her real name.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Lita apparently said that on a twitch stream she was doing, but nobody wants to publish the claim, presumably because the clip was deleted (meaning it can't be verified), and therefore any website posting it  would be considered the publisher (and liable for damages if WWE denied the story and sued for libel). 

Last night I was curious about this and saw that Lita's twitch stream from that day was archived so I tried to find the bit of her talking about this and... I couldn't. The thing was 3 and a half hours long and I mostly kept skipping ahead 30 or so seconds at a time, and a few parts had the audio removed (I read the archived chat for these parts) so I can't say with 100% certainty it isn't in there but if it is it's gotta be mentioned for only 30 or so seconds without the chat reacting at all. IMO either the guy got the day wrong or this was a made up story.

If there is anything to take from this it is that don't watch Lita's twitch stream it is mostly her rambling for hours on end and the only real wrestling tidbit I heard was that she doesn't like Bob Holly which I assume is true for most people.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Now I get why WWE changed Dezmond Xavier's name, because there's already Xavier Woods. But Wes Lee? Really? What's going to happen when he's on the same brand as Keith Lee? What's wrong with Wesley as a first name, and then a surname as well (nobody's using Watson right now are they? It would totally fit if he just switched names with Austin Creed). And Nash Carter for Zachary Wentz... isn't there already a Carter in WWE? Other than Ben Carter because I can buy that NXT-UK and the American brands are separate. And the name Nash is pretty much already taken in Wrestling, right? Like Keira Hogan only gets away with being called Hogan because it's her real name.

Should've called him Wesley Owens and teamed him with Kevin Owens as The Mr. Belvedere Kids.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, AxB said:

And Nash Carter for Zachary Wentz... isn't there already a Carter in WWE? Other than Ben Carter because I can buy that NXT-UK and the American brands are separate. 

There's Kayden Carter, who's also in NXT.

You'd think they used an online fantasy name generator. Whatever weird monikers they'd get would be more interesting than what they come up with on their own.

• Thanks 1

A thread of funny Vince stories made its way into my Twitter feed this morning.  Mostly things I hard heard before.  Vince hates sneezing, Vince once got drunk and took the Hart Founation's finisher in a bar, Vince insulted Kofi wanting Kofi to stand up to him, Vince once yelled at Shane for wearing a winter coat - during the winter. etc.  One of the stories was about Michael Tarver standing up in a meeting and asking a question and Vince responding "Good question, Shelton."

I'd heard that Vince once once called a African-American wrestler by Shelton's name, but never heard the particulars.  What makes this really hilarious is that Tarver was on the main roster from Feb 2010 - Spring 2011 and Shelton was released by the company in April 2010 and went to the indies.  So Shelton was probably not even in the room or with the company at the time.  

There were a couple stories I hadn't heard before.  Allegedly, Vince once called up the writers and told them to immediately fly from Stamford to Vince's home in Florida for a late night meeting.  When they got there, they discovered Vince had changed his mind about needing to meet without telling them, and also refused to let them into his home.  So they turned around and flew back to Stamford and no one ever knew what the meeting was supposed to be about.

No idea if that's true, but it sounds like Vince.

Edit: I'd post the Twitter thread, but I don't remember who posted the the thread and can't find it now.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not sure it was a topic here but since Meltzer put it in the WON I figured I would mention it

Since this came up in controversy this past week, Ricochet’s contract here expires in the summer of 2024. He signed a five year deal when he moved to the main roster and the 2019 pre-COVID not wanting to lose anyone to AEW deals were the high point period as current deals seem to be lower probably with the exception of Mysterio because he got an offer from AEW that matched WWE’s offer so they had to go above and beyond. Now the new deals for guys who haven’t made a name are $250,000 and there isn’t the exceeding your downside because there are no house shows and PPV bonuses, and they are for three to five years

• Sad 1

Obviously no house show and PPV bonuses suck, but has there been any insight also into how much money much of the roster is saving by not having road expenses. I've always found it wild that while the plane ticket is paid for, once you're in say Minneapolis for the start of a weekend house show run ending with TV, you're responsible with paying for your lodging and ground transportation from there.

• Like 1

Speaking of Ricochet - he threw another party (last night?) for Kacy. Everyone was maskless, in the pictures anyway. Kayden Carter and Damien Priest were the only ones I recognized in the pictures.

Oof. I’m sure this will turn out well.

Edited by Casey

35 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Obviously no house show and PPV bonuses suck, but has there been any insight also into how much money much of the roster is saving by not having road expenses. I've always found it wild that while the plane ticket is paid for, once you're in say Minneapolis for the start of a weekend house show run ending with TV, you're responsible with paying for your lodging and ground transportation from there.

I was thinking the same thing as you. I remember hearing that idea floated around a lot back in 05-07 when guys were leaving for TNA. Ultimately, I'm not sure it's a one size fits all thing. I heard some interview with Ryback going over his road expenses and it was absolutely bonkers, like $150 a day on Chipotle or something. Then you hear the stories of guys like Mick Foley sleeping in nasty cheap motels and getting rides from fans. I'm sure card position has a ton to do with it too.

According to several reports, WWE WrestleMania 37 will be held on Sunday, April 11th, two weeks later than originally planned.

Fightful first reported that the company's biggest event of the year was originally set for March 28th, but that internal documents now list the April date. POST Wrestling later confirmed that report.

WWE has yet to respond to an inquiry about the change.

While yet to be formally announced, the show was being planned for Tampa, Florida's Raymond James Stadium as recently as October. The 2020 edition was initially slated for that location but was moved to the Performance Center over two nights due to the pandemic. That would mean the plan to host this year's WrestleMania at Los Angeles' SoFi Stadium would be shelved for the time being. 

In a related story, PWInsider reported Friday that this year's Elimination Chamber will be held on Sunday, February 21st, a week earlier than planned.

Paired with the WrestleMania change, that would seem to point to WWE wanting to return to one domestic event per month for the time being given that travel to Saudi Arabia for super shows is off the table for now.

I remember seeing an estimate of a 4-day road trip, with hotel and car rental/gas, being roughly $600/week. So 50 weeks on the road = $30,000 per year. Not sure if that's dependent on splitting costs with another wrestler. It didn't account for food and incidentals. 

As mentioned, it's not an one-size-fits-all deal. But gotta figure that many are saving $45-50,000 per year with no house shows.

Seeing that Ricochet's contract goes through 2024, I wonder if Aleister Black has a similar deal, since they both went to RAW at the same time.

• Thanks 2

One thing I would like to point out is - while saving money on travel, most wrestlers are now taking an absolute bath on lost merch sales, so the total savings might not be as great as one believes.