DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

RIPPA

Dark, Dynamite, Impact, NXT: UK, and sometimes bits of main NXT, but only for a handful of wrestlers. And stuff on IWTV as and when.

AEW Dynamite is the only wrestling program I watch weekly.  

Occassionally I'll skip thru Dark for a particular match.  I have the problematic NJPWWorld app for January to see WK and the 2020 'best' NJPW matches.  I was into NJPW weekly in 2018 and a bit of 19, but the repetition got to be too much - even now watching WK15 I'm finding myself bored with the same guys working each other.  I also occasionally catch hyped up NXT, AAA, etc. matches.  

For me, it's quality over quantity.  I don't have the threshold for more than 90 minutes of wrestling (Dynamite on tape delay w/ no commercial breaks) each week.  And that's usually with the Women's segment skimmed or mostly chopped off completely.  I'm not so sure I need a second AEW TV show, but I'll definitely be checking it out.

Oh, and AJPW 93/Mid90s is my random youtube go to.  UWF/Mid-South a distant second.  And the ARN podcast weekly (tho, I've kinda hit my threshold for the monotonous latter day WWE PPV reviews).  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Stuff I watch:

Dynamite

Smackdown

Impact

NXT

NXT:UK

Random shows the WWE Network airs (watched 1988 Royal Rumble last week, watching a random Raw from 1994 before football starts today).

Used to watch Championship Wrestling from Arizona, but the channel that aired it stopped showing it. ?

Edit: Watching ICW again now that it's on the WWE Network, but it's not the same. Lost too many of the guys I really liked.

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

You know what's better than list making?

* stares at Cesaro v Bryan March Madness Finals thread *

Actually, I just looked back through a few of the MM threads and 2016's MM is the pinnacle of the internet's very existence. 

So to answer that question, yes, I do know what's better than list-making. 

• Thanks 1

I watch AEW weekly as I'm still emotionally invested in it.

NXT - that comment above about it making me feel dry is relatable. Watching it live does nothing for me. I watched a Takeover the other day out of context (IYH) and was surprised at the first Gargano match I've enjoyed in years. I'm not sure if that's a coincidence. 

Cant remember the last time I watched RAW, maybe the first covid one? Smackdown started to look good and had a timeslot that was convenient...then I cancelled my cable.

Downloaded a heap of stuff to rewatch - every TV set from 1985 to 1995, ROH from 2004 onwards, MCW. I just dont care enough or have the time.

• Like 1

i watch AEW Dynamite a day or two late but always catch BTE when it premieres.

when NWA picks back up i will re-add that to my schedule. 

Monday is still my wrestling watching day. i'm currently going through old ECW tv (currently Feb 2000). i watch one or two weeks worth at a time, depending on how i feel. but some weeks it's just a random unrelated event- a few weeks ago i watched WWF The Brawl to End It All, for example.

Working through the backlog of the week. Was this the one of the best five day stretch of televised wrestling ever. Maybe some G1 weeks would better qualify but you had:

- the two Wrestle Kingdoms which were great. 

- Raw with a good McIntyre/Lee match

- Dynamite with Omega vs Fenix

- NXT with the LWS and the Kyle and Finn match 

- MLW had a really good Lio Rush vs Myron Reed match

- SD with a good gauntlet match. 

- I'll even throw in the Impact Genesis Cup final with Christian and Ace Austin which was good. 

I mean, now that I type this out I realize the hot Mania week shows probably blow this out of the water but been a while that there was so much good stuff either on TV or streaming. 

The only thing I catch when it airs is Being The Elite, since I'm usually just going to bed (to wake up at 6pm for night shift) when it gets uploaded on YouTube. I'll watch Dark and Dynamite sometime over the weekend before I start it all over again the following Monday. This week I'll actually get to watch Dynamite live for the first time since.... shit, probably September. But hopefully I'm going back to my normal weekend nightshift soon, so I'll be able to do it weekly again.

Other than AEW... nothing on a consistent basis, really. Some 90s All Japan, All Japan Women, early NOAH. Maybe some mid-to-late 90s or early 2000s WWF occasionally on YouTube since that's my childhood and it's nice to revisit sometimes, but yeah. I'll watch independent female wrestling every now and then (Allie Kat!), and stuff from NXT/WWE that involve the women since I think it's pretty clear they have the most stacked division across all of their brands (but moreso NXT).

I can't do WWE anymore. The fact that they've burned me way too many times over the years, constantly disappoint with storylines I usually get invested in, and stuff like running shows in Saudi Arabia, I just can't do it anymore. Plus I've seen clips of some of the stuff they've been doing lately, and it just feels hollow - especially with that Thunderdome bullshit. The only bright spots I can think of are on Smackdown, but I don't know about right now since I've been busy with work. Last I remember being really into following the clips and results on Reddit was during the build-up and climax of Sasha/Bayley and Roman's heel turn (shout out to comrade Sami Zayn too).

Edited by Casey

I only watch Dynamite, sometimes live and sometimes recorded. My main time killer is videogames or watching movies with the fam. Used to watch all the WWE shows but yeah, all set with that company even if some of the talent is incredible. 

I watched last week's NXT last night. It was quite unusual to see that most of the main event match consisted of actual wrestling. Holds and counters, body part work, damage escalation. WWE doesn't usually do that. Weren't even any run ins, or surprise Roll-ups off a musical distraction. So impressive to see a match that wasn't largely predicated on the concept that the competitors are idiots.

• Like 1

Whether it's movies, tv, music, sports, etc., there's this constant promotion and hype of everything that is new. One day you realize it's far more entertaining to throw on a random WCW ppv or superstars versus trying to sit through a boring Raw you have no investment in.   

Which brings me to my next point. While Greg Valentine may have a visually unsettling bodytype, what a fun wrestler to watch. 

• Like 2

Wrestling I watch weekly:

• AEW Dynamite
  • Paradigm Pro's UWFI Rules contenders series

After that, really just anything I come across on IWTV that might be good.

Thank you @Greggulatorfor bringing attention to that thing you brought attention to.  Just when I think that company and its adjacent pursuits couldn't dig lower, they hit a new subfloor of shit.  I haven't watched anything from them in four years and see no reason to start up again now.

• Like 5

On the bright side, Drew should more than likely be good to for the Rumble match. 

Regarding the SRS report - well, it's a few weeks after NYE and the holidays so not surprising. As always, hope everyone isn't hit too hard and hopefully everyone had the good sense to not visit grandma.