DVDVR Message Board

JustJay

Any of you guys put your kids in tee-ball or some thing like that?

Because I've signed my on up and it's disorganized as fuck. I think there's a game Friday. We don't know. We've never had a practice. Right now it's just me and the boy pitching and catching.

The games I don't expect to be particularly great, but I'd at least like to know my son is on a team. 

I got an email saying there was a draft for kids who hadn't been placed on a  team yet. I send one back saying we hadn't heard anything and asked if that meant my son wasn't on a team and that I needed to show up. I get there and they say, "Oh he's on the Pirates. He doesn't need to be here." Great.

Then opening day was Saturday the 3rd. 24 hours before I get an email saying it's been canceled because there happens to be a race running the same day at the park. What one has to do with the other, or how both were scheduled...I don't know. Saturday I took my family out on the town, we got a text saying there was room for a practice, which was to take place 4 hours before we got the text. Needless to say we couldn't make it. I finally sent an email complaining about a lack of communication, and was told that opening day, because I'm assuming his first game is Friday.

I got a phone call saying opening day has been pushed back to the 18th.

I don't think they want my son to play baseball, and the money I spent on this could have gone to anything else.

Because I've signed my on up and it's disorganized as fuck. I think there's a game Friday. We don't know. We've never had a practice. Right now it's just me and the boy pitching and catching.

tball.jpeg

So ... you put the ball on your head, William Tell?

I just use pitch as a catch all for throwing a baseball around. Am I the only person to do this?

Or are you one of those people who say "Hey dad let's have a catch,"

I just use pitch as a catch all for throwing a baseball around. Am I the only person to do this?

Or are you one of those people who say "Hey dad let's have a catch,"

sounds British or something.  In America we say "let's play catch!"

If you teach your kid to say "Hey, lads, let's have a pitch!"  you are setting him up for a rough few years.  May as well sign him up for lute lessons.

owmylute.jpg

I just say "Let's do a little of the ol'..." and then I wiggle my eyebrows up and down and make honking noises while I pretend to catch a ball. 

This is the only way to get his attention away from his mother's stupid ipad and its eternal battle between plants and zombies.

• Like 1

I just say "Let's do a little of the ol'..." and then I wiggle my eyebrows up and down and make honking noises while I pretend to catch a ball. 

Be careful man!  There was a kid in my neighborhood that never lived it down when one day we were all outside his house, and his dad was getting ready to barbecue, and the dad came strolling out and yelled to his son "Let's go get it on, babe!"

That was it...let's go get it on babe.  We tortured him over that for years.  It was the only way we greeted him.  It was the chant whenever he got pissed about anything. 

You gotta be aware of this shit.

I'm sure I'll embarrass him some day.

I already call his friends out when they're acting like little shits. Today for example he and I were throwing the ball around and some of his friends wanted to join in too. They did n't have gloves so it amounted to me throwing grounders and them killing each other for a ball. This one kid, we'll call him Ringo, was getting upset that he wasn't getting the ball enough. Which is straight up bollocks because I distribute that shit so everyone has a good time. So he went off and sat on the side for a bit sulking. Then he came back around the same time this other young kid wanted to join in. the young kid was about 4 and my son and his two friends are 6-7. So this 4 year old wasn't quite quick enough to get on the ball, and RINGO was trying to ostracize him for the group for not getting the ball. So I walked over to the 4 year old, handed him the ball so he could throw it. That's all he wanted to do any way was throw the stupid thing. So I let him throw it twice for good measure and then he was back on his own to get the ball himself(which he eventually got the hang of.)

HOWEVER, Ringo went "HEY! Why does he get special treatment, I sat over there for 10 minutes!" He literally said these exact words. 

I said flatly "I don't reward quitters."

It all went downhill from there. He tried to tell everyone they should quit playing, but by that time the other kids were getting the ball and getting their turn. He said, "Hey, we're quitting because he got special treatment." 

One of the friends, not my son, said with the ball in his hands "Yeah...but um...I got the ball...maybe if we all play maybe we could all get special treatment."

I laughed and laughed. 

Some of my son's friends aren't like this. None of them were there today. I'm usually the "fun dad" that plays pretend or has a soccer ball handy to play a game. But as some of these little turds develop their horrible personalities I KNOW I'll become the "Dad Who Made me Realize How Empty I am Inside Dad"

Because I've signed my on up and it's disorganized as fuck. I think there's a game Friday. We don't know. We've never had a practice. Right now it's just me and the boy pitching and catching.

My daughter was part of a soccer league when she was eight. They were just out there to have fun and get some exercise.  I was good with that.

I think your expectations are a bit too high.  Don't be one of those KICK HIM IN THE BALLS, SON~! kinda dads when your boy plays peewee football.

Why are people saying my expectations are too high? I don't understand. I know it's "just tee-ball". I'm saying they have practices and no one tells me when or where the practices are, and if they do it's after they told me the day was canceled. I just got a call last night, after asking for more information, that opening day was pushed back again to 18th. If I hadn't said anything I would have just showed up Friday. I got another call last week saying all the measurements for uniforms were lost. For all the kids. All of them. 

My expectations are that if you run a baseball league, and this organization handles 2-16 year olds, that people know what the hell is going on and are able to communicate that with the parents, who are paying you money that could have gone to a different more organized activity. 

Hell they're telling my he's required to have cleats and a cup. For teeball. They're taking it more seriously than I am.

Find a real league.  Yelp that shit man!

I dunno, I was gonna sign the girl up for Soccer, then we decided that Gymnastics was a good way to get her coordination up when she was 4.  She's now 6 and on the Gymnastics School's competitive feeder team and I'm paying double what parents that want their kid to run off energy pay because the girl is good at this shit and can do more pullups in a row than I can.

All this because I said "Well, if we're gonna send her to Gymnastics, we're damn well going to send her to a real school and not some shitty strip mall "gym" center!"

If I go broke in 10 years because I needed to send her to Iowa, you'll know where to find me.

Why are people saying my expectations are too high? I don't understand. I know it's "just tee-ball". I'm saying they have practices and no one tells me when or where the practices are, and if they do it's after they told me the day was canceled. I just got a call last night, after asking for more information, that opening day was pushed back again to 18th. If I hadn't said anything I would have just showed up Friday. I got another call last week saying all the measurements for uniforms were lost. For all the kids. All of them. 

Okay, that's different from what I was gathering from your post.

That league sounds really disorganized and your kid should be getting some semblance of structure and order.  That's why you get your child into sports in the first place:  discipline.

I just don't want you to be one of those insane sports fathers that expects their kid to be the Babe Ruth of tee-ball. 

Don't be one of these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g27L7fmp-y0.

My dad lived vicarously through me during my high school judo competition days and that shit was not fun.

I coached little league with my dad and I've got all kinds of horror stories. 

One of our kids was pitching and he was complaining about his eyes burning. Turns out there was a parent from the other team shining a laser in his eyes.

I saw this one guy tell his kid, who had a pretty rough day, to strip out of his uniform in front of everyone. It was fucked up. I was 16 at the time and I kept looking for someone to step in and say "Whoah you're being insane, buddy."

So, yeah, I'm the anti-that parent.

• Like 1

Clearly Jae is a monster.  That's decided. 

The only thing left to figure out is how to save this Tee-ball league.  Is there a super-rich league run by Christopher McDonald that you could compete with in a tournament to see who can claims ownership of the local orphanage and/or senior rec. center?

We were talking about kids shows a while back, and I forgot to mention...

when watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates, everybody else imagines the more rotund live action guy to be Marty Sugar, right?

PROGRESS MUTHAFUCKERS~

So...while me and the Duchess are at dinner, she says the four words I was hoping to hear, at least by the end of the summer: "I HAVE TO PEE"!!! Panicking, I asked the waitress if she'd mind if I take her to the ladies room(because I refuse to let anyone I love sit on a men's public bathroom seat). After getting permission, Babygirl does her thing(including clean-up) and looks for the soap to wash her hands!!! I kinda got tears in my eyes and this is what I felt like doing when we walked out the bathroom:

• Like 7